Old October 2, 2002, 22:41   #1
steamthunk
Chieftain

Local Time: 03:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
America: Balance of Power
This is the second of three related stories. The first is America: In Peril. You may want to read that post first to get a better understanding and view the map, but it is not entirely necessary.

The story so far: Deutschland is under attack from the Iroquois Confederacy of Six Nations. Anna Roosevelt Mölders, daughter of the American President now living in Deutschland, must travel back to Washington on a mission for the German Chancellor. She is to deliver the message that unless isolationist America complies with its mutual protection treaty with Deutschland the American President will be disposed and the nation occupied by German forces.

America: Balance of Power

America. En route to Washington.

In her dreams Anna's body remembers the embraces and touches that have long since faded. Her mind replays the conversations with her Frederick so full of laughter and promise. Her soul filled with the golden sunset warmth of a thousand happy fairy tales.

She finds herself again blushing at the words of the handsome German officer that night in the library; riding rain-soaked through the Bavarian woods clinging tightly to him while the black stallion raced recklessly ferocious; twirling standing twirling arching back in his arms until her tresses touched the floor of the ballroom. From the depths of Frederick's green eyes there is a perfect reflection of her laughter that she never noticed before. It seems to taunt her.

Now she is a single scorching white bride in the hallway of saluting black uniformed soldiers as she races forth from J.S. Bach's Cathedral with a dozen bells ringing; standing atop the wind torn castle turret at Nuremberg the unfamiliar stars are a hauntingly cold and wild element to be countered only by her passion for life and love; not long after her child is crying and she meanders through grand phantasmal halls to its rescue. Only as she approaches does she see herself an infant screaming in the crib.

Anna awoke more from weariness than the eeriness of the already passing vision. Dawn was approaching, but it would be hours until the carriage interior would be rid of the autumn night chill. She huddled quietly under the heavy wool blanket and watched the sunrise through little wisps of frosty breath. Her third consecutive night and fourth consecutive day of travel would finally bring her to the American capital and none too soon for Anna's aching body. She also desperately needed a bath and a change of clothes. Even a coach of the Imperial Deutschland government was not all that comfortable if one had to spend nearly every waking and sleeping hour in its confines. A new driver and team of horses was assigned to her at San Francisco, the half way point, so she knew the American President valued her swift journey as much as the Reich Chancellor who had sent her. A saner individual would have taken twice as long to move from Berlin to Washington, but the desperate situation between her adopted and native homelands was anything but sane.

Deutschland, ambushed by the armies of the Iroquois Confederacy operating from American soil, feared invasion and demanded action from her ally-by-treaty America. Was it truly possible that only America, despite never having fought a battle in her entire history, held the key to peace on the continent? For the first time in a long time, Anna wished she could talk to Frederick and ask his opinion. She knew Frederick, “Der Große Deutsche Hero”, could make sense of all this. Anna was no diplomat or military adviser, but the idea of war seemed to grow ever more ludicrous the more she considered it. Now it made her head hurt to think of how she would deliver the German ultimatum to her father, the proud American President – declare war against the Iroquois or risk German occupation. It would surely mean the destruction of America either way. Anna called for the carriage driver to stop for she was about to be ill.

The Capital, Washington, America

A lengthy train of Iroquois warriors rode steadily into the horizon towards a tiny mountain castle flying the Deutschland Imperial Eagle flag. The Iroquois troops in the foreground seemed to be in high spirits as they rode through an open toll booth attended by a laughing Lady Liberty. She was perched atop a wooden stool caressing a fist full of Iroquois wampum strands with lascivious delight while an ungainly amount of the money also draped around her neck. Liberty's robe was scandalously open at the front revealing Deutschmark notes bristling around and between her breasts. Her bare crossed legs revealed a garter strapping wads of English pound notes to her thigh. A stylish French purse hung over one shoulder stuffed to bursting with francs. At her feet rested a tattered scrap of paper with German and American official seals marked “GRPP” (Greater Reich Prosperity Pact).

Fraser Dean Roosevelt, the President of the United States, set down the insinuating cartoon given to him by his daughter. He removed his reading spectacles and spoke with some amusement, “The Germans sure are clever with this stuff. I'll give them that, but the Chancellor is crazy if he thinks I'll be pressured into war.” Roosevelt got up from behind his desk to sit beside Anna. It had been six years since he had set eyes on her. The perky young secretary that had served in his office was gone. In her place was a calmer if somewhat colder woman now ironically returned to dictate policy to him. “It's getting late. I'll have a telegraph sent to Bismarck restating my position. We will provide Deutschland with all the financial aid and resources it needs to carry the war against the Confederacy of Six Nations, but we just don't have any way of making Hiawatha leave without creating a conflict.”

Anna frowned, “Father, if necessary Bismarck will occupy American cities in order to defend Deutschland. I can't believe you would rather fight the Germans instead of the Iroquois!”

Roosevelt took on a sterner tone and said, “I wish to fight no one. America has survived and prospered precisely because of our neutrality and strict policy to avoid war. Deutschland may consider us to be part of the 'Greater Reich', but the world knows that America is the home to industry, invention, and freedom. That freedom is bought and paid for through peaceful trade, tribute if necessary, but never through that whole German 'blood and iron' nonsense. I will not go down in history as the first President to lead America into war.”

Before she could reconsider her words Anna blurted, “As I understand it, America agreed to back Deutschland in the event of a war. You would rather be the first President to go back on his word and betray the trust of a friendly nation then?”

Roosevelt reddened, “Do presume to be an expert on world affairs just because that warmonger Bismarck decided to send you to help drag America into war. My word has saved this country from the kind of hostility that has crippled entire nations. Don't you think I understand the situation? What the Chancellor asks is impossible. It would shatter America.” Anna shrank ever so slightly, but suddenly she was again the little girl wishing she could hide after breaking the bust of Jefferson in the Capital gallery. “Hiawatha would invade America just as fast as Deutschland if given the chance. Imagine the consequences for the American people. For God's sake Anna, until just recently the Iroquois were cannibals!”

“So you would stand by while the Iroquois conquers Deutschland? While they kill Germans? Slay my children? Your grandchildren? Your daughter?” pressed Anna.

Roosevelt sighed, “Anna, that won't happen. The German army is the most powerful military in the world. Once the battle is joined in full force the Iroquois will be routed. They'll return to their homes and the balance of power will be restored. If America were to back one country we would forever be the enemy of the other.”

“Field Marshal Schellinger fears Bremen will fall,” Anna countered. “Most of the Army is still in Azteca and cut off from Greater Deutschland. Frederick is there and in his last letter to me he spoke of the months of hard fighting in the tundra against the Aztecs. They are surely exhausted already and I cannot imagine that they would be able to fight the Iroquois all the way back to Greater Deutschland.”

Roosevelt smiled, “Then Bismarck is bluffing about occupying America. We may be small compared to the Reich, but it sounds like he hasn't the troops to spare for guard duty. Our musket men will be enough of a deterent for either Iroquois or German thinking differently.”

Anna could only say, “I pray that you are right.” She had always thought of her father as a forthright and honest man and it disturbed her that he would not simply honour a promised duty. Yet what her father said made some sense and if he was right then America could be extracted from a seemingly inescapable conflict. Perhaps this is why the Americans had chosen Fraser D. Roosevelt for four consecutive terms in office. Bismarck would not be pleased, but she had already spent the afternoon explaining and pleading with her father and she was tired of the bickering. Men such as Ambassador von Klein would have to pick up the talks with her father if they wanted anything more.

Roosevelt reassured his daughter. “You're just as headstrong as your mother was. Let me draft the telegraph to Bismarck and we can go have dinner. I will tell him personally that you fought valiantly for Deutschland and the German cause, but were foiled by the dimwitted American President.” Roosevelt spoke the last sentence in an exaggerated German accent and mockingly gave the stiff salute common to all German civil service workers and armed forces.

Anna rolled her eyes at the teasing, gave her father a kiss on the cheek, and said, “And you are as ridiculous as ever. Six o'clock sharp. I've much to tell you.”

Home of Field Marshal Helmut Schellinger, Berlin, Deutschland

Heinrich von Klein had always pictured Field Marshal Schellinger residing in a castle fortress rather than the quaint single story home tucked away in a wooded glen at the edge of the city. His knock at the door was met by Schellinger's housekeeper. She was a portly woman in her late 50s with a gruff north Deutsch accent. She greeted him simply,“Güten Abend. Herr Schellinger is waiting for you in the parlour.” With that she took von Klein's coat and hat and proceeded to guide him into the house.

The decor was warm and unpretentious. In fact, von Klein noticed nothing in this humble dwelling that would indicate that Schellinger was the highly decorated officer that some saw as the real power of Deutschland. Schellinger possessed the simple tastes of a man valuing efficiency over luxury. The housekeeper announced him to Schellinger at the parlour, “Herr von Klein to see you.”

“Danke Claudia,” acknowledged Schellinger before dismissing her. To von Klein he offered, “Would you care for a drink?” It appeared that Schellinger had already decided for his guest as he emptied the bottle of wine at his side into a goblet and thrust it at von Klein.

“Danke,” said von Klein wondering if the alcohol was going to make this discussion go smoother or worse. It appeared that Schellinger had had at least the contents of the bottle already. von Klein took a seat in a well worn leather arm chair.

If Schellinger was intoxicated it did not show in his speech nor his thinking, “I know why you are here Heinrich, but the Chancellor was very clear on this matter. You know he already considers this a foolhardy course of action. I'm actually surprised he approved it.”

“Bismarck's ambition approves of many things,” replied von Klein sipping the wine. Orleans vineyard – so the old man had some taste after all thought von Klein. “It's a shame President Roosevelt doesn't feel the need to honour the GRPP. Regardless, I'm prepared to make this worth your while if you will inform your men to deviate ever so slightly from the plan. I have a yacht ready to sail from Cologne. Deliver the girl there and I will hand over to you the deed to my Persian estate.”

Schellinger laughed heartily. “Once this business with the Iroquois is complete and America is firmly within our control I could have all the Persian estates I need. If you get my meaning Ambassador.” Schellinger was no fool and had none of the vices of the decadent man before him who would no doubt deal away his own mother. “Bismarck is merely the benefactor of the Army's power – and my life's work. Adding America to the Reich will be my last gift to this country and its future generations and guarantee me a place in Deutschland's history. I will not risk it all to satisfy your lust for the woman of the day.”

“I see,” said von Klein assuming the unflappable posture of a professional diplomat in spite of the old army man's pointed assault. He had not actually thought that Schellinger would immediately concede to his demand anyway so he tried a different approach. “No one would rather see America part of Deutschland proper than myself. In fact, I was sure that this would have happened immediately after the Dortmund defection. I only wished to offer you an alternative.” Ambassador von Klein took another sip of wine and watched Schellinger's expression of annoyance. The citizens of Dortmund had revolted and broken away to join America while under the garrison of a much younger Schellinger. It was the only time in Deutschland history where peasants effectively unseated an albeit minimal military garrison. This in turn became the only blemish in Schellinger's outstanding career.

Schellinger was not amused by the jab and retaliated. “This is a military operation under military jurisdiction - my jurisdiction - authorized by the Chancellor, and not some deal for gems, furs, or spices. My men are sacrificing their lives to complete this operation. There are no alternatives except my own.”

von Klein finished the glass of wine and set down the goblet. Schellinger was wrong. This was just another deal and it was about to be closed. “Yes, you're quite right about that. I spoke with Montezuma about this very topic a few weeks back. You certainly didn't give the Aztecs at Texcoco any alternatives did you? Twenty thousand civilians slain in a single night. As I understand it, those were the lucky ones.”

Schellinger did not even try to deny the accusations, “Montezuma is a coward and a liar! Those people are animals! Had they been the victors every last German in Azteca would have been sacrificed to their ridiculous gods. Examples had to be made or we would have had another Dortmund on our hands.”

“Nevertheless,” continued von Klein with delight. “It's my understanding that Frederick himself took the 2nd Army out of Texcoco disgusted by your call for slaughter. He is a good man and would probably understand your position, maybe even keep quiet if he makes it through the suicide mission you've placed him in on the Iroquois second front. I, on the other hand, have no problems bringing Montezuma straight into the Reichstag to speak of this unpleasant matter if need be. I assure you that this would most definitely guarantee your place in Deutschland history.” Ambassador von Klein stopped to let Schellinger flail somewhat in his predictament. This was always the most satisfying part of a negotiation.

“It amazes me that Bismarck allows such a snake to represent Deutschland,” growled Schellinger bitterly. The Field Marshal was incredulous, “You make me sick! You would gamble the future of this country for one insignificant woman? If this operation fails the consequences will be disastrous for us all! You barely know the woman! What is she to you?”

von Klein waited for the elder man to finish sputtering. He leaned forward and repeated his demand, “Just deliver her to Cologne. Here's what I want your men to do...”

Next: Ambassador von Klein's plan is put in motion while Anna travels back to Deutschland. The President is forced to act.
Old October 3, 2002, 11:36   #2
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 09:51
Superb!
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old October 10, 2002, 04:00   #3
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 09:51
You did say there were 3 parts didnt you,looking forward to the next episode.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old October 10, 2002, 13:21   #4
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 02:51
Very very nice! Two thumbs up:

Great style and plot. Looking forward to seeing it unfold.
Spore page
Old October 10, 2002, 19:47   #5
steamthunk
Chieftain

Local Time: 03:51
Yeah, it looks like I'm going to need more than 3 parts to finish this since my pacing got a bit off with this second part. Was "working" on finishing the game this story is based on.

Still working on part 3. I'm determined not to start a new civ game until this is done!