Old October 3, 2002, 14:20   #1
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 01:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Son of SVC - For Mere Mortals
Anybody interested in a "Son of So Very Cold" game a la Aeson's epic but considerably less mashochistic (i.e., presumably winnable by a large number of players)?

Right on the heels of jshelr's recent "True Confessions" thread about restarting until a nice start offers itself up, I started an Emperor-level, all random, standard map game. The start is comparable to SVC, but not quite so bad. The level is Emperor. The random barb setting appears to be restless (but I've had absolutely terrible luck with barbs ). I've played it through the 800s AD or so (still in the early Middle Ages ) and I am as far behind as I can ever recall being on Emperor level game. Don't know if I can win, but trying to hold on for a late game domination or conquest, like SVC.

Would probably be fun for those who can stand a bit of frustration.

If interested say so, and I'll post the 4000 BC save.

Catt
Old October 3, 2002, 14:28   #2
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Local Time: 04:53
What civ is it? Could we turn this into AU 107 (always war, religious civ, few resources)?
Old October 3, 2002, 14:31   #3
Catt
King

Quote:
Originally posted by alexman
What civ is it? Could we turn this into AU 107 (always war, religious civ, few resources)?
Romans. The problem with using this as AU 107 is that it is not a scenario - only a saved game, and is an Emperor level game. Combined with the challenging start, I'm not sure a whole lot of players would enjoy the game.
Old October 3, 2002, 14:37   #4
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

I think it's still possible if you are willing to have people play a slightly different game than the one you did. We can use Gramphos' savegame editor to extract your map into a bic file.
Old October 3, 2002, 14:44   #5
Catt
King

Quote:
Originally posted by alexman
I think it's still possible if you are willing to have people play a slightly different game than the one you did. We can use Gramphos' savegame editor to extract your map into a bic file.
Doesn't matter to me -- I didn't just post the game because I didn't want to interfere with the AU progression and figured that only a smaller subset of folks would actually enjoy a game similar in some ways to SVC.

But I don't think it would be a great "Always War" scenario however, due to (without spoiling it) some limited early isolation -- you needn't wait for Astronomy for contact, but all warfare will be intercontinental.
Old October 3, 2002, 14:49   #6
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 09:53
We could play it as AU 107, even though it's standard rules. Why not? Leave "Always War" for AU 108, name this one "SVC II", "Scarce food" or something like that and let's play it. If one can make a BIC out of it to play with the difficulty, it's fine. If not, let's play it at Emperor. Btw: Importing the map in the Editor messes the resources up. At least it did in a scenario I made (or am making). This could ruin the game, if it occurs.
Old October 3, 2002, 14:51   #7
punkbass2000
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameApolyton UniversityCivilization III PBEM
King

As usual, I gotta agree with Ralph.
Old October 3, 2002, 15:19   #8
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
I'm up for it.

:Theseus studies the monopoly screenshots, and starts planning the attack on Russia:

Catt, oh master of the written word, you get to name and describe the adventure that will be AU 107 (edit your first post, I guess).

If we do make AU 108 into 'always war,' could I participate in the mapmaking process? I've never done it and would like to learn, and also have some, uh, interesting ideas.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old October 3, 2002, 15:32   #9
Catt
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
:Theseus studies the monopoly screenshots, and starts planning the attack on Russia:
Good thing I cut the minimap out of those shots, eh?

Quote:
Catt, oh master of the written word, you get to name and describe the adventure that will be AU 107 (edit your first post, I guess).
I've never actually used Gramphos' tool, but I will download it and try to import the map into the editor so it can be saved -- I presume then it could also be played under standard rules or the Au mod?

If I struggle with Gramphos' editor, will someone volunteer to offer an on-going "dummies guide to modifying saved games?"

Finally, I'm running for lunch and a meeting this afternoon. Won't be able to post a scenario until tomorrow at the earliest. Could post the Emperor 4000 BC save this afternoon if someone who knows how wants to extract the map -- I actually don't think we need to change any resource availabilities -- it is quite bleak enough, thank you very much .

Catt
Old October 4, 2002, 12:33   #10
jshelr
Civilization III PBEMIron CiversC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Emperor

I really like SR's new picture. Are we sure it's a good likeness?