Old October 3, 2002, 23:57   #1
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 01:54
Local Date: November 1, 2010
AU 107: Son of 'So very cold . . .'
Caesar, you must lead your people to prosperity from their hardscrabble and somewhat isolated beginnings. Do not be lulled into complacency by the seeming fertile lands and valleys near Rome, birthplace of the Emperor. The surrounding world is a harsh and unforgiving land. You will be hard-pressed to grow your empire, and your foes will face lesser challenges. Can you survive? Can you survive and prosper? There is little room for error.

For those of you interested in playing AU 107, it is worth your time to review Aeson’s “So very cold (of the map generator . . .)” thread, located here. Although the terrain and challenges of AU 107 are not the same, they are similar; and Aeson’s approach to the game may hold valuable insights for you in your challenge in Son of SVC.

This game was originally produced by the game’s automatic map and civilization generator after I had selected all random settings. I have played it, with unmodded rules, through approximately the early 800’s AD. My estimate of the game settings is:

Civilization: Romans
Map Size: Standard
Land Mass: Continents
Ocean: 70%
Climate: Arid
World Age: 3 Billion
Temperature: Cold
Barbarians: Restless

Your foes are: the Persians, the Babylonians, the Zulu, the Russians, the Germans, the English, and the French.

If you’re accustomed to securing parity with, or a comfortable lead over, the AI civilizations at a particular point in your games, do not be discouraged by AU 107. You will be behind, perhaps significantly; but you can (I think , since my game is still very much undecided) rise to meet the challenge.

Do not let the smirking over-confidence of the AI intimidate you.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	au 107 launch.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	26211  
Old October 4, 2002, 00:07   #2
Catt
King

The attached Zip file contains the AU 107 game, using Standard Rules. For AU 107 with the AU Mod rules (v1.05) see the post by alexman just below.

EDIT -- 9:15 PM P.S.T. ON 03-10-2002: THE DOWNLOAD PROBLEM ON APOLYTON SEEMS TO PREVENT ME FROM DOWNLOADING A COPY OF MY OWN UPLOADED FILE -- THIS DOWNLOAD PROBLEM IS NOT FILE-SEPCIFIC, BUT RATHER SEEMS TO BE A PROBLEM AT 'POLY'S SERVERS. AS SOON AS THE PROBLEM IS RESOLVED, I WILL BE SURE TO ENSURE THAT A VALID ZIP FILE CONTAINING THE TWO SCEANRIO FILES IS AVAILABLE -- CATT

EDIT -- 8:45 AM P.S.T ON 04-10-2002: THE DOWNLOADS SEEM TO BE WORKING FINE FOR ME NOW. HAVE FUN.

EDIT -- 10:15 am PST on 07-10-2002: Deleted AU MOD version from the ZIp file -- Au Mod version now in Alexman's post below.

REMEMBER - THE ATTACHED ZIP CONTAINS AU 107 WITH STANDARD RULES

**** FOR THE LATEST VERSION - 1.05 - OF THE AU MOD WITH THE AU 107 SCENARIO, USE ALEXMAN'S ATTACHED FILE IN THE NEXT POST ****

Thanks Alexman!

Catt
Attached Files:
File Type: zip au 107 standard game.zip (14.0 KB, 95 views)

Last edited by Catt; October 7, 2002 at 13:14.
Old October 4, 2002, 01:04   #3
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Local Time: 04:54
I guess the crash course in Gramphos' tool payed off, eh?

I sent you (and uploaded) the latest AU mod bic in case you want to use that one (1.04) when you update the files.

Thanks for setting this up!

[Edit: attached is the above scenario with the latest (AU 1.05) rules]
Attached Files:
File Type: zip au 107 mod 1.05.zip (34.0 KB, 188 views)

Last edited by alexman; October 6, 2002 at 01:42.
Old October 4, 2002, 01:30   #4
Hurricane
Warlord

Local Time: 10:54
The difficulty? Deity?
Old October 4, 2002, 11:48   #5
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 03:54
It's a scenario so you're up to play whatever difficulty you want...

--Kon--
Old October 4, 2002, 11:55   #6
Catt
King

Quote:
Originally posted by alexman
I guess the crash course in Gramphos' tool payed off, eh?
That's a pretty user-freindly little tool. Great job Gramphos

Quote:
I sent you (and uploaded) the latest AU mod bic in case you want to use that one (1.04) when you update the files.
Got it - thanks. I'm leaving the files as they are (with an edited explanation of what is what) since you very helpfully attached the AU MOd version.

Quote:
Originally posted by Hurricane
The difficulty? Deity?
Whichever difficulty you like .

The zipped files attached are Civ III scenario files (file name ends in ".bic"). Simply move the appropriate .bic file (standard or AU Mod) into the "Scenarios" folder located inside your Civilization III folder (which itself is probably in an Infogrames Interactive folder in your Programs folder). When you start up Civ III, instead of selecting "New Game" select "Load Scenario." When given the choices, select your AU 107 scenario and then just take it from there. (You won't have an opportunity to select civs, map styles, etc. because all of that is set in the scenario file itself). Once launched, the scenario plays just like any other game -- autosaves and saves work normally -- so if you take a break, when you come back to the game use "Load Game" just as you normally would.

Catt
Old October 4, 2002, 14:25   #7
punkbass2000
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameApolyton UniversityCivilization III PBEM
King

Hope I find my Civ3 CD soon.
Old October 4, 2002, 19:15   #8
Tuberski

A screenshot of the starting location would be nice.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old October 5, 2002, 01:53   #9
CorpusScorpius
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:54
Catt.....this is a really good map......although I am playing on regent mod103 it is not as difficult as I thought it would be.......Thanx
Old October 5, 2002, 12:06   #10
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

it'd be nice if i could play as france

seriously, i'm sucking major right now, i may have to restart and re-assess my strategy.
Old October 5, 2002, 13:45   #11
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 08:54
Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
i'm sucking major right now
[english politics joke]

you're not Edwina Currie by any chance, are you?

[/english politics joke]

Anyway, seriously, since this is a scenario I think I'll start this game soon. If I can change it down to puny Regent level I might last longer....
Old October 5, 2002, 18:18   #12
flash9286
Rise of Nations Multiplayer
King

i have a question about au's how do we tell who has won
Old October 5, 2002, 19:40   #13
Catt
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuberski
A screenshot of the starting location would be nice.
Look for one in the Spoiler's thread - there's not one there yet, but I'll post one sometime in the next 24 hours or so.

Catt
Old October 5, 2002, 19:47   #14
Catt
King

Quote:
Originally posted by flash9286
i have a question about au's how do we tell who has won
I wish I could quickly and easily find the post by either nabrclay, jshelr, or BillChin (can't remember who made the post I'm thinking of) which described AU quite well . . .

The inelegant answer is that you win. AU games are games largely without rules -- play however you like, employing whatever tactics or strategies you like. Accolades are not given for winning -- whether by a victory condition, fastest game, or point totals -- the fundamental purpose of AU games is to compare and contrast your own game with the game played by others. The desired results include: (1) fun, (2) learning something new that hadn't occured to you before, (3) teaching someone else something new, (4) reflecting on the efficacy of your tactics and strategy, (5) posting a good story, and (6) comparing AI performance game to game (i.e., does the AU mod create "killer AIs" with greater frequency than the standrad game? is there a particularly strong AI civ? etc.).

No winners or losers other than the fact that you win by playing and sharing and you "lose" (miss out) by not playing.

Catt
Old October 5, 2002, 20:34   #15
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
I found that pretty elegant, Catt.

For instance, I had no problem starting over with 107, when I realized that I was going about the game entirely wrong for the way that *I* want to play it. There are lessons in my mistakes, and, hopefully, in my new approach.

If you've read Aeson's SVC thread (and if you haven't, DO!), it was *his* attitude and demonstration of skills that actually motivated me get a group together to start AU.

No bragging, no posturing, just incredibly good skill, some great lessons, and a fun story to watch unfold. The AU participants so far have been contributing the same way... I just wish there were more, both playing and sharing!
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old October 5, 2002, 23:22   #16
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Yes that was excellent Catt as usual.
Old October 6, 2002, 00:05   #17
Thoth
King

I'm currently playing the AUMOD 1.03 version. Galleys aren't available until Navigation. Was this intentional?
Old October 6, 2002, 01:20   #18
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants

It was not intentional and in fact AU mod v1.03 makes no such change to Galleys. Vulture made this change to the bic file for the 106 game and I guess Catt used the rules for AU 106 (instead of the pure AU mod) to make AU 107. By the way, you probably also noticed that in that version you can't build the Lighthouse until integrated defense.
Old October 6, 2002, 01:30   #19
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Version control.

1) I suggest that Catt edit the original post, and get everyone onto AU Mod 1.04 [Edit: alexman being hyperalert, make that 1.05].

2) AU Mod 1.04, including the BIC for AU 107, should be fixed ASAP [Edit: Done, 1.05]. Those of us who started with it the way it is can survive (hmmm, separate from version issues, that's a question mark!).

Irregardless of 'poly mishaps, and as excited as some of get when starting a new group game, we should slow down, and make sure 'all systems are go.'
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Last edited by Theseus; October 6, 2002 at 01:54.
Old October 6, 2002, 01:43   #20
alexman

Until Catt sees Theseus' post above, I updated the second post with the latest version of the AU mod.
Old October 7, 2002, 13:20   #21
Catt
King

Yikes! Terrible problems. Sorry for the confusion and problems all!

I did indeed extract "AU Mod 1.03" from AU 106 when I was unable to download a version of the Mod -- but of course forgot completely about the changes to the mod that were made specifically for AU 106.

I have edited the first download post -- my post now only contains AU 107 with standard rules. Alexman's post contains the AU Mod version of AU 107.

For those of you who downloaded the AU Mod from my earlier Zip files, many apologies for the confusion -- I suspect you're in for an even tougher game than the rest of use without the use of galleys until navigation. IF it's early enough in your game, I recommend you begin again with the correct AU Mod version from alexman's post. Once again, sorry for the confusion and hope it doesn't spoil the fun (assuming anyone's having fun with Son of SVC ).

Catt
Old October 7, 2002, 20:35   #22
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by Catt

Look for one in the Spoiler's thread - there's not one there yet, but I'll post one sometime in the next 24 hours or so.

Catt
Would have been better in the hints and tricks thread.

Now I know a lot of the map. Of course, knowledge is half the battle.

"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old October 8, 2002, 13:20   #23
Catt
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuberski

Would have been better in the hints and tricks thread.

Now I know a lot of the map. Of course, knowledge is half the battle.

Doh! I misread your request and thought you wanted a shot of the home continent (as appeared in Aeson's SVC thread). Could have given you a quick shot of the start if I had read your request more carefully.

Since you've visited the spoiler thread, you know that the start position itself is not exactly indicative of the available terrain, however.

Catt
Old October 9, 2002, 18:56   #24
Tuberski

That is very true.

Old October 9, 2002, 20:31   #25
flash9286
King

why dont you all sign my petetion to get the gotms back i want competition here
Old October 9, 2002, 23:45   #26
BillChin
Warlord

Local Time: 00:54
Quote:
I see little use in a petition. Begging, pleading and prodding did not get any response from the person (people) that ran the Apolyton tourney games. The tourney dropped out of sight without any explanation, or any subsequent apologies when the tourney leader returned to active posting.

After five weeks of non-response, I started an "unofficial" game in the spring. Participation level consisted of about seven submitted games per month. Many Civ tourney games have gone the way of the dodo-bird. The one remaining strong one is on Civfanatics, with over 140 submitted games for the last contest.
- Bill
Old October 10, 2002, 00:29   #27
Catt
King

Quote:
Some of us play the AU games precisely because competition is not our uppermost goal. I personally never play "optimally" -- I don't maximize every opportunity nor squeeze every last drop of blood from the Civ 3 stone (not that I know how to do so, but I certainly know how to do a lot more than I regularly do). I have relatively little time for gaming, and prefer to use that gaming time to have fun -- I can't always do that in a "competitive" environment with the attendant rules and proviso's on how to play and how not to play -- I am competitive by nature and will try to play as well as I can when it matters, if it matters -- therefore, if it matters, I sometimes lose sight of the ultimate goal of having fun. Even though I spend time at CFC and really enjoy reading Zachriel's GOTM spoilers and Sulla's spoilers, I don't play CFC GOTM. I'll stick with the more informal, more frequent, and more interesting (thematic!) AU games.

Catt
Old October 10, 2002, 07:22   #28
flash9286
King

ok thankyoui