Old October 4, 2002, 13:09   #1
PCRefugee
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:55
Local Date: November 1, 2010
UT2003...utterly ridiculous
I can't believe this. The game was (allegedly) delayed so that they could refine it, fine tune it etc. This was to make sure that it would run on as low a spec machine as possible. Well, I got the game today and what do I find? The game won't run on either of my machines (P3 800 and 1.3G Athlon). I get corrupt files and missing DLLs when using the debug tool. This is something I would expect from a rushed game, not one delayed to iron out such problems. On the back of the box it says "The Legend Returns"....that's a laugh and a half. If you're going to give us a bugged game at least give us a bugged game that actually runs - but no, it doesn't run at all...another £30 quid down the drain. Well done to Epic - you've just ruined my day.
Old October 4, 2002, 14:09   #2
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Did the demo work on your machine?

(I'm assuming you downloaded it, since 98% of the world's population seems to have done. If you only have a 56k connection then maybe you didn't though... in which case ignore me )
Old October 4, 2002, 15:13   #3
PCRefugee
Chieftain

You're right, I've only got a 56k so didn't download the demo. The point is..a product is a product is a product. If I buy a car, I don't have to wait months for the manufacturers to design and build an engine to make it go. A product should be, by law, fit for purpose. Epic(or Atari or whoever) is just taking the piss as far as I'm concerned. In case you haven't guessed, I'm a bit miffed.
Old October 4, 2002, 15:42   #4
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 03:55
You actually thought it was going to run on a P3?
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old October 4, 2002, 16:08   #5
PCRefugee
Chieftain

Minimum specs say P3 733 and I'm above that but I've also got a 1.3Gig and it doesn't run on that either. I've downloaded all the latest drivers and when I say it doesn't run, I don't mean that it runs slowly or crashes - it doesn't even start. So, what point are you trying to make, DinoDoc? As far as I'm concerned I've been ripped off and I'm not in the mood for any crap. I'm off to demand a refund first thing.
Old October 4, 2002, 16:29   #6
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by PCRefugee
So, what point are you trying to make, DinoDoc?
The point was that it wasn't entirely suprising that it wouldn't run on the P3 considering it doesn't even come close to the recommended specs and that you should take your whining to Epic tech support instead of inflicting it on us.
Old October 4, 2002, 18:03   #7
PCRefugee
Chieftain

Are you naturally stupid or do you have to practice at it?
The machines are above the recommended specs - and that comes from the manufacturers info, not from me. As for my 'whining'..there are two reasons why I posted here 1) to let other people know there are problems with this software and 2) the official site has problems with its forums and tech help areas and I can't get access there.
Old October 4, 2002, 18:17   #8
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
The machines are above the recommended specs - and that comes from the manufacturers info, not from me.
Given your obvious lack of reading skills, it really doesn't suprise me that you don't realize that only one of your machines falls within the recommended (not Minimum) specs. It might also behoove you to actually check to see if any of your video cards are supported.

Quote:
2) the official site has problems with its forums and tech help areas and I can't get access there.
There's a wonderful invention called e-mail. Perhaps you've heard of it.

Last edited by DinoDoc; October 4, 2002 at 18:28.
Old October 4, 2002, 18:36   #9
PCRefugee
Chieftain

On the minimum/recommended argument. My interpretation of a minimum spec is that it should run(maybe badly but it should run). The recommended on the box is 1 Gig so my other machine is within recommended spec as you say. As for video cards, I'm running Gforce 2 and 4 respectively. Fair point about e-mail but I prefer the refund option (I have followed all advice so far and got nothing out of this software). I believe the only way to put a halt to these ridiculous compatibilty situations is to use the financial influence available to us and force companies to treat their customers fairly (I don't know whether it's the publisher forcing the developer to go for an early release but it's getting more and more common to find these sorts of problems).
Finally. We've both had our say and chucked about a few insults. I suggest we leave it at that before it escalates.
Old October 4, 2002, 18:40   #10
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 02:55
Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
It's quite playable on my P3 800 (w/ GF3) system, just with most of the graphics turned down.
Old October 4, 2002, 19:14   #11
PCRefugee
Chieftain

Glad to see that somebody's had some luck getting it to run. The sad thing is that I loved the original UT and even managed to reach position 40 at one point in the Domination league under the pseudonym of CyberPsycho. But it looks like my UT days are over: it's become a matter of principle
Old October 4, 2002, 19:25   #12
CapitanGarlic
NationStates
Prince

Local Time: 01:55
The game hates you. You have no choice now but to become a bitter hermit from the world of UT. You seem to be doing this quite well.

Old October 4, 2002, 19:48   #13
Tuberski

I'm assuming you're talking about unreal tournament?
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old October 4, 2002, 23:22   #14
Bkeela
King

Local Time: 18:55

Hmmm, you make it sound like P3's are utterly obsolete. I suppose they will be when it comes to games like Doom III and such, but MoOIII and the new Simcity better run okay.

Bkeela.
Old October 5, 2002, 17:26   #15
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Bkeela
Hmmm, you make it sound like P3's are utterly obsolete.
I didn't mean to imply that. I only meant to say that one can hardly expect a P3 to run UT well at all.
Old October 6, 2002, 00:36   #16
PCRefugee
Chieftain

Well I finally managed to get on to the tech support forums at epic/atari/infograms and there are a lot of unhappy people with similar problems to my own but...guess what? I finally got it to run sweet as a nut. I had to reformat my hard drive to do it and that seems like one helluva drastic step. So, if anybody else is having trouble, you could always try that(if you can be bothered). I even managed to get online successfully. It was a bit jerky but reasonably playable. And that, I should add, was on my P3. I'm still not very amused but at least it's now working.
Old October 6, 2002, 05:24   #17
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Yay!

A happy ending.
Old October 7, 2002, 05:22   #18
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 09:55
FORMAT YOUR HARD DRIVE???? Good grief! What reason were you given for needing to do this?
Old October 8, 2002, 14:14   #19
PCRefugee
Chieftain

It was my own idea after reading through other people's problems. The game comes with an updated version of DirectX (8.1b I think). I was sure it was a Directx prob and, given how notoriously difficult it is to remove, I tried reformatting and it worked...for a while. After a few shots at it I discovered that it was back to situation normal (refusing to load) so I reformatted yet again and PRESTO! It worked...for a while. Needless to say the game is back in the shop and I've got my money back. I'm afraid I will never buy a product by this infograme/atari/epic combination again. One more thing: it's seems a bit peculiar that, quite often, when a game doesn't do exactly what it says on the tin, infogrames seem to be involved (GP4 etc.) I wonder if they are pushing developers far too hard for early release dates? The thing is UT2003 looks stunning...it just doesn't seem to be finished.
Old October 8, 2002, 14:30   #20
OneFootInTheGrave
King

Huh... I have the same problem with Batllefield 1942 MP demo. No start.

Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good.
Old October 9, 2002, 08:53   #21
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 09:55
I guess that's the pain we have to experience now and then for choosing to stick with the flexibility of the PC rather than just buying an Xbox and leaving configuration problems behind us.
Old October 9, 2002, 17:09   #22
PCRefugee
Chieftain

I have no doubt that you are absolutely right Grumbold. But, sometimes, when you have waited months, gone out and spent your hard earned cash and been bitterly disappointed the red mist descends. I got so angry I almost turned into the Hulk and was without reason...temporarily insane...and the world did wail as the Red Death moved across the land, searching for one Prince Prospero in his supposed sanctuary... And on that note...apologies to DinoDoc. What can I say? You caught me at a really bad time.
Old October 9, 2002, 18:34   #23
DinoDoc
Deity

No worries mate. I was just playing with you anyway.
Old October 12, 2002, 13:28   #24
pg
Prince

Quote:
The thing is UT2003 looks stunning...it just doesn't seem to be finished.
it's not finished. it was rushed out the door in order to meet the deadline the cpl set for it. if it hadn't come out now the cpl wouldn't have used it in their 'pro-gamer' tournies. ut2k3 is missing a lot of small features, and needs lots of tweaking to bring it's servers, netcode, and various others things up to par.