View Poll Results: Which version of AU 107 are you playing?
Standard rules 7 43.75%
AU mod, v1.03 0 0%
AU mod, v1.04 6 37.50%
Not playing 3 18.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 22, 2002, 23:17   #121
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 04:55
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
1868 AD

Now we're talkin'...
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	1868 ad compare.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	27640  
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old October 22, 2002, 23:18   #122
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

1888 AD

The tide turns...
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	1888 map.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	27641  
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Old October 22, 2002, 23:33   #123
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 02:55
Theseus, all I can say is, WOW! I guess you've just won the job of AU's official judo instructor!

Nathan
Old October 22, 2002, 23:35   #124
Theseus
Emperor

Sorry, there's a lot more to the story... Armies, Arty (see why I got excited about auto-bombard??!!), luxuries, re-settling, the battle with Hammy, going from Monarch to Commie (!), the final heroic feats of derring-do and sacrifice by Legions... but no time just now.

Suffice it to say that I am p-ssed off.

I've gutted Bizzie, and will proceed to destroy him north of the French bottleneck (Orleans, an AI-AI flip, btw). Panzers? 8d... training tools. I have also sent a transport of 8 Explorers to pillage his southern remnants, even after an expensive peace.

My attention turns to Babylon... there is a tower that needs undoing.

Old October 23, 2002, 09:38   #125
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Heh, good job, Theseus. Am I imagining things, or did you move your capitol to Nuremburg?

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old October 23, 2002, 22:17   #126
werdhertz
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:55
hey frustrated poet, where did you get the water tileset?? i love how the sea squares go down from coastal ones
Old October 24, 2002, 04:29   #127
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 08:55
Quote:
Originally posted by werdhertz
hey frustrated poet, where did you get the water tileset?? i love how the sea squares go down from coastal ones
It's the latest graphics mod by sn00py.

Get it here: http://www24.brinkster.com/snoopsciv/

It's hosted by Civfanatics too I think, look there if the link above doesn't work.
Old October 25, 2002, 00:40   #128
Theseus
Emperor

Hey guys,

Sorry, I've just been overloaded with the J-O-B. Why is it that 3 hours sleep for Civ is OK, but not for RL??!!

Bear with me... my highest priorities are:
1) Finish 107; I've decided to go commie, destroy enemy production, and then SS. I'm leaving Germany alone for now, production-eviscerated. Hammy's next. I'll do that over this weekend, at the latest.
2) Threads (I've been reading but not posting)
3) Get started on 108 or 201, whatever we call it.

I'm sure all will appreciate this, though... I think about Civ3 all the time... interspersed among my work / deal notes, I have my own private code for Civ-thoughts... other than thinking of how to handle 107, I've had a sort of Vel-like "framework world-view" thing going on in the back of my head... again, bear with me, but I think I might have some interesting thoughts to throw out.

[Arrian, yeah, moved my capitol to Nuremberg a looong time ago... I am now completely committed to moving my Palace to the frontline. I know in that some recent threads people have complained (you included) about betting on GL generation for this kind of thing, but even given the RNG streaks, I reach a certain confluence of war, elites, militaristic, and HE, where I just *know* I'll get that GL for the Palace move... worked here.]

[Looking back at my own world map, we should have a discussion, somewhere, about city spacing and 'context.' The original island, versus the Persian lands, the German lands, the Bab lands, etc.]

Old October 26, 2002, 15:33   #129
Theseus
Emperor

OK... I'm BA-ACK!!!!

First priority: Finish 107. Having decimated the German production core, I have decided to be a very bad man. I declared peace to sort of re-group, and have decided to betray Bizzie-marckie just several turns later. I am going to lay waste to EVERYTHING on the big continent, and then take down Hammie.

[Trumpets blow, pigeons are let loose.]

"SENATUS POPULUSQUE ROMANUS, CAESAR TE SALUTANT!!"

[The crowds go wild.]

"Our victories over the German barbarians have been glorious, but are not yet complete. Therefore, henceforth, all Romans shall be named Grog."

[ ]

"And you shall all get TANKS!!!"

[The crowds go wild again. ]

Old October 26, 2002, 16:20   #130
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Grog want MA.
Old October 26, 2002, 20:35   #131
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 02:55
Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus

"Our victories over the German barbarians have been glorious, but are not yet complete.
Don't you have it backwards? With how hard it was to compete in culture, I thought we were the barbarians. (Or is it just that we're so barbaric we don't realize we're the real barbarians in the game?)

Nathan
Old October 27, 2002, 14:47   #132
Theseus
Emperor

The victor writes the history of the defeated.

Old October 27, 2002, 14:56   #133
badman
Warlord

Local Time: 10:55
today i have started this one, because i don't see the point in AU 201 and i didn't play any other AU games yet.

it's really alot of fun, although i'm not sure if i'll ever be able to catch up with the other civs.
i just don't get leaders to build a new palace and my homeland still sucks especially when it comes to building knights or even bigger projects.
the conquered persian lands are unproductive due to corruption. well we'll see how that developes. so far i've beaten up the persians and i'm at war with both the babylonians and the germans. the babylonians are really awesome at culture and science but they suck at military so i make progress conquering them even though i'm very slow.
the germans are relatively weak in my game, the persians would have beaten them up if i hadn't distracted them.
the germans just built their first musketeers, i am building my very first knights atm. (haven't completed any)

i decided to go into two wars at the same time, because the babs would have become way to strong and i figured it was the best time to attack the germans since they were suffering from losses during their war with persia but they were quickly regaining strength. i just hope my legionaries can handle that.

yet i hope i can get some productive cities soon that can quickly build knights.
Old October 27, 2002, 15:03   #134
Theseus
Emperor

Knights and Legions can take Muskets... go for it. The key is to keep the pressure on, and managing your elites for GL generation. Unable to build GWs (you know the feeling), after the Palace I built Army after Army.

Old October 27, 2002, 18:15   #135
Theseus
Emperor

OK, back to the story:

1888 AD

Isn;t there something called the 'peace dividend'? Well, this was good enough for me (I would have liked tech, but just couldn;t get there... Rocketry is just too closely held by the AI civs). I needed to regroup a little, I had moved my Palace again, further south, so I wanted to plant a bunch of new towns, and I also needed to get out of mobilization.

Interestingly, I had been planning on changing to Commie, but with that much money on hand, and knowing that I would be dealing with mostly new, and not captured, towns, I decided to go Republic instead. Yeah, I know, coulda just stayed on Monarchy, but with such a large and spread out empire (and only getting more so), I needed some help with corruption.

So, accordingly, I made peace with Hammie as well, thinking that I needed to tone down the saved-up WW. I also did some kind of pretty good trade with him, but I forget what.

I stabilized over a few turns, and then said to heck with WW, and went on attack against Bizzie again... talk about role-playing, I HATED HIS GUTS AND WANTED TO RIP HIS INTESTINES OUT AND HANG HIM WITH THEM!!!!

(Didn't care much about rep at this point. )

As most of his remaining cities were leftover from the conquest of Russia, they were at Level One culture, and thus I ran around with a stack of like 80 Arty, pulverized everything down to 2 hps, and immediately took the city down with Tanks. The whole thing, taking the top part of the continent, took 4-5 turns.

(Good lesson, btw: Immediately AFTER an AI civs successful conquest of another AI civ, they are very vulnerable.)
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	1888 2k gold.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	27962  

Old October 27, 2002, 18:16   #136
Theseus
Emperor

1936 AD

Here's the map.

(Actually, I screwed up... this is the 1938 AD map... hint hint)
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	1938 map.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	27963  

Old October 27, 2002, 18:18   #137
Theseus
Emperor

1936 AD (an interesting year)

FINALLY, I got a branch tech lead. While the AI civs researched Adv Flight, Rocketry, Fission, and Space Flight, I went for Ecology. Actually, I wasted about 4 turns of research on Computers, and then *smacked* myself in the head... 1) there was no way I'd trade that away, and 2) uh, can we say MA upgrades for my massive force of Tanks? Duh.

I could only get Adv Flight and Rocketry for it, but I also got a lot of gold, and a couple of luxuries.

So, I'm at peace, my next tech (Syn Fibers) is gonna take a while and there's no way I'm trading it anyway, my two primary landmasses are filled out and merrily a-building, Germany has had its production power completely destroyed, I'm paying god knows how much in military expenses... what's a guy gonna do?

(Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you that I had airlifted as many units as I could to the Bab north, and loaded up maybe 10 Transports with the rest of my Tank force and a bunch of Infantry, including a slew of Armies, and sent them towards the Bab SW coast. Oh, and I had 70 Jet Fighters on patrol in forward cities, and in two naval attack groups. Oh, and I also had 40 Bombers and 40 Arty poised in the bottleneck city. But that's all, really.)

So yeah, just being me, I went after Hammie. Babylon and Ellipi have a slew of GWs... otherwise it's gonna be pillage, burn, and raze, baby.

Three huge attack divisions, each consisting of several 3xCav+Tank Armies, 4-5 Infantry, and 25-30 Tanks. The land division came out if the bottleneck city, and rested on a hill 2 tiles from the Bab city to the north and east. The first naval division landed on a hill 2 tiles from the Bab city to the south and east, and the second on a hill 2 tiles from the coastal city further to the SE (Babylon, btw, is the city right above that).

[There'll be a better screenshot of the local mayhem in the next few posts]

Rather than attack my forward forces (boy does the AI hate Armies), here's what Hammie brought to the party at my bottleneck city, prior to my counter-attack.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	1936 bab attack.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	27964  

Old October 27, 2002, 18:19   #138
Theseus
Emperor

1938 AD, Hammie's retreat

I pounded the crap out of him. Between Arty and Bombers, I poured steel rain onto the attack stack, Ur, and Ashur.

Took three cities (no intention of holding Eridu in the south... waiting for the next turn to pull back towards Ashur, and then abandon). Will starve Ur down to 1 pop.

There are appr. 35 Tanks in that center stack, ready to take down all vulnerable Bab forces.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	1938 bab retreat.jpg
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	27965  

Old October 27, 2002, 18:20   #139
Theseus
Emperor

1938 AD, what's left of Hammie's retreat

Damn, sometimes the RNG is tough... I thought I'd completely take out all of Hammie's attacking forces, but they were stubborn little bastards.

Here's all that's left though:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	1938 bab retreat 2.jpg
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	27966  

Old October 27, 2002, 18:21   #140
Theseus
Emperor

1938 AD, a sidenote

Far from the Bab front, I decided to be sneaky and mean to my "ally" Bizzie (NOT! I STILL HATE HIS GUTS).

As his empire was now restricted to captured lands south of the French chokepoint, his culture was a mess and some cities had been razed, so he had a number of territory gaps.

Back when we declared peace, around 1900 AD, I had dropped off a Transport full of Explorers near Bizzie's northernmost city... as of 1938 AD, they have completed a counter-clockwise tour of the gaps in German lands, pillaging every road / RR possible. That forted Horse used to be a German colony, which I cut off and was subsequently abandoned and destroyed (!).

Bizzie is now officially screwed... WOOHOO!!
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	1938 explorers 2.jpg
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	27967  

Old October 27, 2002, 18:22   #141
Theseus
Emperor

1942 AD

Gotta fun new tactic for you late-game warmongers. I call it "The BIG Bombardment."

Capitalizing on my new auto-bombard technique, I set it up so that the only units awake were appr. 20 Bombers in Corfinium and 20 Arty protected by the 4xInfantry Army plus some additional Infantry.

Holding down 'b' and clicking 40 times, I sat back for THREE MINUTES and just watched as Babylon was pounded flat! Did this twice!!
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	1942 bombard.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	27968  

Old October 27, 2002, 18:23   #142
Theseus
Emperor

1951 AD

The war goes on... Babylon and Ellipi have been captured, and most surrounding cities have been razed, effectively putting Hammie down for the count.

I'm thinking an MA-fest will finish this damn thing off, probably by conquest, which I've never done.

As a last screenshot for the moment, this is what I call a well-protected chokepoint, in the middle of the big continent.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	1951 bottleneck.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	27969  

Old October 27, 2002, 18:39   #143
Theseus
Emperor

1956 AD

OK, just declared peace with Hammie (for the moment). With the exception of Bablyon and Ellipi (directly east), all the cities in the central eastern part of the Bab continent are new and Roman.

He's got Fission and Space Flight on me, still...

BUT:

Bizzie: 2 Panzers
Hammie: 0 Tanks
Caesar: 71 Tanks, 2k gold, and 5 turns from Syn Fibers

Hmmm....
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	1956 map.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	27970  

Old October 27, 2002, 20:16   #144
Theseus
Emperor

1962 AD

I launch the MA Overrun.

Jesus wept... especially given the low culture of the southern German territory, 3 moves is just devastating.

I now control all GWs, having only built one... I also notice that I've got 17 Armies!!
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	1962 map.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	27975  

Old October 27, 2002, 21:33   #145
Theseus
Emperor

1964 AD

I feel like I gave birth (panting, , sweaty, exhausted).

Domination victory, 4315 pts.

MAs swept the world in 3 moves. Almost too easy... my last capture, however, was not by the MAs, but rather by six 3xCav+Tank Armies, four moves into Bab territory.

The best part was definitely overcoming and nailing Bizzie, against pretty tough odds... god, watching the replay was amazing; his takedowns of England, France, and Russia were like lightning.

Whew, I need a break.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	1964 map.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	27976  

Old October 27, 2002, 21:57   #146
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

All hail Caesar.
Old October 28, 2002, 10:39   #147
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Good job, good writeup. You killa lotta Panzas.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old October 28, 2002, 11:51   #148
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Yes, nice game Theseus. Care to tell us how long the whole thing took you?

Dominae
Old October 28, 2002, 14:49   #149
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 01:55
Nice game and write-up! It seems the war went well .

Catt
Old October 28, 2002, 16:24   #150
Theseus
Emperor

Thanks, guys. It was brutal, but going waaaay back to AU 102 (that was the bad one, right... Germany) and my Egyptian Mess, it felt great to marshal a series of come-from-behind-military victories, concurrent with catching up in tech and infrastructure.

It's hard to say how long it took, as I had to stay away from Civ3 and 'poly for a chunk of time until Saturday... 30 hours, including the write-up?