Old October 5, 2002, 12:42   #1
klesh
King

Local Time: 04:58
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Lebensraum- 1939 PBEM Test

Okay folks,

This will be the set up for game #1. Unfortunately there are others who want to pay, but not enough for a 2nd game. So, if there are other takers, PM me and we can get another game going.

Case - Soviets
Techumseh - Italians
Anzac - French
Henrik - Germans*
Caspian - Turks
SunTzu - Brittons
Pavlov - Spanish
Academia - Alternate/ Replacement

*- Germans move first.

You are certainly guarenteed a spot in game#2 Academia, and if we have dropouts etc, you will be the first to fill in.

There are 3 zips for this scenario, 1 game, and 2 sounds.
They are available at the finest in Swedish server space:
Game zip updated to 1.2, Sound zips unchanged.

There is no readme included as I haven't written one yet. I'll see about getting a short 'need-to-know' type of one up today, so we take less time familiarizing ouselves with the scenario. Henrik has played it before, and he goes first... so no one get freaked out when he posts his turn so fast. Take your time and make sure you search for bugs and incosistancies. Feel free to discuss things in the thread, or via PM if you dont want to reveal too much about your game. I will be keeping tabs, and posting map changes as countries fall as well.

Have fun boys.

-FMK.

Last edited by klesh; October 13, 2002 at 16:54.
Old October 5, 2002, 13:04   #2
SunTzu
Prince

Local Time: 08:58
All hail brittany! Ruler of your pathetic lives! hmmmmm
game on?
Old October 5, 2002, 13:19   #3
SunTzu
Prince

my Email is WMCS44@aol.com
Old October 5, 2002, 13:43   #4
Pavlov
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 09:58
Re: Lebensraum- 1939 PBEM Test
Quote:
Originally posted by Field Marshal Klesh
This will be the set up for game #1. Unfortunately there are others who want to pay, but not enough for a 2nd game.
-FMK.
Thank God I payed enough to join game #1.

pavlov@bajen.com if someone needs to know.

All hail España! Ruler of tapas and other snacks!

edit: How many people are lacking for a second game? I could always fill up a spot or two there.

-Homer Simpson

Last edited by Pavlov; October 5, 2002 at 13:48.
Old October 5, 2002, 13:55   #5
Pavlov
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Hoo ha!

Found some bugs or something at once.

#1 jetcrash.wav is in the main zip and not in of the sound zips.

#2 Upon starting the scenario I got a "There was an error encountered in the 'events.txt' file. Please RTFM..."
After clicking OK the scen starts with no problem.

#3 There's a tech named "Comercial Zoning". Typos are a pain... Also one city improvement is named: "Civillian Donations"

My first impression is that it looks very nice and clean, so to speak.

-Homer Simpson

Last edited by Pavlov; October 5, 2002 at 14:03.
Old October 5, 2002, 14:01   #6
klesh
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Pavlov
Hoo ha!

Found some bugs or something at once.

#2 Upon starting the scenario I got a "There was an error encountered in the 'events.txt' file. Please RTFM..."

#3 There's a tech named "Comercial Zoning". Typos are a pain...
#1 That's Henrik, I've allerted him.

#2. Strange, I get no error here. Henrik, Sun?

Ps, here's a new rules file. It is overwritten in the main zip if you haven't DL'ed it yet...
Attached Files:
File Type: txt rules.txt (27.0 KB, 22 views)
Old October 5, 2002, 14:06   #7
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Quote:
It's now in sound zip 2

Quote:
Strange I get no such message (and while playing my first turn which I am about to post all events fired just fine), just to be sure I've overwritten the events in the zip with the ones I have again.
Old October 5, 2002, 14:46   #8
Pavlov
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Cr@p, is this a MGE/FW-problem? I assumed that this scen would work with both.

-Homer Simpson
Old October 5, 2002, 14:52   #9
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Well actually events files are allowed to be slightly bigger in MGE, I think there is a patch on cfc that will allow you to upgrade to mge if you want though.
Old October 5, 2002, 14:56   #10
Pavlov
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Ah, no I have MGE but not FW.

-Homer Simpson
Old October 5, 2002, 16:04   #11
Pavlov
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

After some more singleplaying I found some more nits to pick.

#1 The wonder: " Polish Free State" still has the same wonder text as Zhukov.

#2 Yet another typo: Tech "Genral conscription"

#3 The Strongpoints should be weaker. It took me a horde of Heavy artys to destroy one of them. Considering how freely they are placed they should either be weakened or made scarcer.

-Homer Simpson
Old October 5, 2002, 16:06   #12
Henrik
Emperor

Note: On FMKs request I'll post the events popups before the actual turn report.
Code:

Quote:
Originally posted by International press: Danzig, the Poles' lone corridor to the Baltic falls into German hands. This city is Hitler's justification for invading Poland. With it's capture, Prussia is once again a part of a contiguous Deutschland. The Germans advance southward to encircle Warsaw...
Quote:
Originally posted by International press: The capital of Poland falls to the German invaders with lightning speed! The Polish Army has been routed on the continent in record time due to new German tank warfare tactics designed to penetrate the enemy front at a single point, which is then swept up by motorized infantry allowing the panzers to continue. Coined by a British journalist, the 'Blitzkrieg' has stunned the world. Meanwhile in the West, the governments of France and Great Britain shock Hitler by this time declaring war against Germany. The British Expeditionary Force has touched down and secured a beachhead west of Holland. France calls her troops up to man the stations of the Maginot line, and to sure up the flanks with the British. All out WAR has been unleashed on the continent of Europe.
Note: My original post was lost
Thereafter I wrote this shorter version (as I havent got the energy to rewrite all of it).

DIE BERLINER ZEITUNG:

Poland Falls!

Warsaw-
Poland

In a beautifully coordinated attack the German armed forces invaded the nation of Poland.
The polish army, by some considered the second best in europe, was quickly routed and subdued. Out of one million Polish soldiers 700000 where encircled and then surrendered to the german army.
All of Poland except for the easternmost parts are now under German controll.
The eastern parts was left to the advancing Soviet Red Army (for a quick summary of the pact se page 14 ),
where last reported laying seige to the Polish city of Brest Litovsk.

German forces parade outside Warsaw

Foreign Minister, von Ribbentropp, expressed great suprise when the Franco-Brittish response to the German invassion reached him.
"Brittain and France actions dissapoint me, the Poles brought this upon themselves when they refused to grant us what was rightfully ours."
"Poland cannot possibly be saved now, and a long, costly war will serve no purpuse but to weaken our defences against future attacks from other enemies."
"We have formally requested that both France and Brittain sign a Peace treaty with Germany in order to settle this embarrasing incident once and for all before it grows out of proportion, show us that you will not repeat the misstakes of 1914."
Attached Files:
File Type: net turn1.net (229.8 KB, 3 views)
Old October 5, 2002, 16:08   #13
Henrik
Emperor

Quote:
#3 Shouldn't Brest-Litovsk be Soviet? Any gameplay reasons for making it Polish?
I think Brest Litovsk was conquered by the Soviet Union when they invaded poland.
Old October 5, 2002, 16:09   #14
Pavlov
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

I just realized, my bad.

Sorry for taking up so much space here, FMK, but do you have any idea why I get this problem? If it's just me I'll leave my place to academia. Although it won't be fun. this scen looks super.

-Homer Simpson

Last edited by Pavlov; October 5, 2002 at 16:14.
Old October 5, 2002, 16:16   #15
Henrik
Emperor

Try loading my save file, the events will be contained within (they allways are in save files) if you are able to load it you'll get the events when playing (and you'll atleast be able to participate in this pbem).

Last edited by Henrik; October 5, 2002 at 16:22.
Old October 5, 2002, 16:25   #16
Pavlov
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

It loaded okay. Tackar så mycket. Always nice to see people taking time to help the computer illiterate. I'll shut up now.

-Homer Simpson
Old October 5, 2002, 16:31   #17
SunTzu
Prince

Quote:
I'll shut up now.
Thank you Pavlov
Old October 5, 2002, 18:39   #18
David Floyd
Emperor

I pm'd FMK, but I'll say it here too, I'd love to participate in a 2nd playtest game, preferably as England.
Old October 6, 2002, 02:17   #19
Henrik
Emperor

Quote:
It loaded okay. Tackar så mycket. Always nice to see people taking time to help the computer illiterate. I'll shut up now.
Det var så lite så
Old October 6, 2002, 02:21   #20
SunTzu
Prince

In the words of Led Zeppelin, Henrik, Dy'er Maker. ehhhhh anyways Spain's turn isn't it?
I want to get to my turn!
Old October 6, 2002, 02:47   #21
Pavlov
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Eh? No, it's Caspian the Turk, then the Brits.

-Homer Simpson
Old October 6, 2002, 03:36   #22
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 02:58
Re: Lebensraum- 1939 PBEM Test
Quote:
Originally posted by Field Marshal Klesh
Take your time and make sure you search for bugs and incosistancies. Feel free to discuss things in the thread, or via PM if you dont want to reveal too much about your game. I will be keeping tabs, and posting map changes as countries fall as well.

Have fun boys.

-FMK.
Looks good, FMK. Many similarities to what I've been working on. GMTA!

Some initial nitpicks:

1) Breslau is a German city at the start, not Polish.

2) Why is everybody's basic infantry a 4-4-1, while American infantry is 7-5-1? This is a common bias in American produced wargames and scenarios. It has NO basis in fact. While American infantry may have had an advantage over Polish, Neutral and perhaps French infantry, it was very even with British (and Commonwealth) infantry, and less effective than standard Soviet or German infantry. It was considerably less capable than either SS or Soviet Guards, unit for unit. Most breakthroughs by American or British ground forces against German troops came as a result of significant air superiority.

3) On the other hand, motorized British and American infantry was more mobile than the horse drawn infantry of other nations. Perhaps increase their movement to 2.

4) Fleet sizes seem too small. How many ships does a battleship unit represent?

Last edited by techumseh; October 6, 2002 at 04:00.
Old October 6, 2002, 10:46   #23
klesh
King

Hiya Techumseh!

1. crap. *searches for his 1939 map again, scratching head*

Quote:
This is a common bias in American produced wargames and scenarios.

2. Thanks for calling my American bias a common one.
But actually I wanted to experiment with different ways of having America represented in this scenario, as it isn't a civ in and of itself.

Upon Pearl Harbour Event, Brits get immediate monetary boost. Brits also begin receicing Ami troops outside one of their cities. That is specific to England. They are also given a new reasearch path leading to building of a Lend Lease wonder (science boosting one), as well as the actualy production of the American Unit. These last two can be traded to any nation (but Americans cannot be built by Germany. This way, if the French are still in the fight, Britain can 'give' trhem American support as well.

Now, before you think that I have dillusions of Tom Hanks and his men saving Europe (you dont think I know better than that?) let's consider the limited scope in which the Americans are represented in the scenario. No B-17's, p-51's, no dominant airpower, no 40,000 sherman tanks with artillery compliment etc. That one single unit serves to represent all of America's military involvement, but merely looks like an infantry unit for gfx reasons. A unit with a shrunken plane, tank and infantry would look silly representing the full reach of American power at the time. Stats too high? Probably, but thats what were are playing to find out.

3) I wanted to slow this game down alot. Movement figures are fairly low, and railroads are totally absent. I dont want to see entire nations go down in one turn.
The only adverse affect this has is having lots of units out in the open to be killed by counterattack before any real damage can be struck. I am toying with the idea of stackable terrains here so that I might see more fighting outside cities without entire stacks being lost. Thoughts?

4) Probably are. Its hard to place all those ships and not feel that you've gone overboard. And to be honest, fleets arent my forte... What changes do you suggest?
As far as representative numbers go, I have my idea as to what relative strengths were, so I simply tried to emulate that.

Excellent comments Tech, keep em comming!

-FMK.
Old October 6, 2002, 10:49   #24
The ANZAC
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 03:58
So far, looks good, I'll report back

Also the ships seem to have a low movement rate. Is this part of your no large attacks plan FMK?
Old October 6, 2002, 11:18   #25
klesh
King

The ships' will get +1 movement upon the discovery of 'Minesweeping'.

Another type of thing that will be explained in the full on release-version.

-FMK.
Old October 6, 2002, 11:49   #26
Caspian
Prince

Oh my god, oh my god! I didn't realise the pssst message on the last thread was a link to another. I'm so sorry I missed the begining of the game. Have you got a replacement Turk, or can I still join in...Again guys, I'm very sorry, please don't take that as a measure of my comitment to a pbem game...

Old October 6, 2002, 11:55   #27
Henrik
Emperor

Heh, I only played my turn yesterday Caspian, its still your turn
Old October 6, 2002, 12:01   #28
Caspian
Prince

phew, can you e-mail me the turn again please...
Thanks

Last edited by Caspian; October 6, 2002 at 16:32.
Old October 6, 2002, 12:11   #29
klesh
King

Oh man Caspian thats it!!! I can't believe you took over 12 hours to locate this!?! Argh! :doitnow:
You are hereby banned fom participating in Apolyton.

As an aside, do you like the group Belle and Sebastian?

Oh, and new rulez everyone... slight adjustments.

(updated again)
Attached Files:
File Type: txt rules.txt (27.0 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by klesh; October 6, 2002 at 12:28.
Old October 6, 2002, 12:15   #30
Henrik
Emperor

The turn is attached on the first page of this thread