Old October 10, 2002, 00:22   #31
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:59
Local Date: November 1, 2010
A friend of mine swore by TA: Kingdoms, but it seemed too much like TA Lite to me. I'd pick Starcraft or C&C before Kingdoms any day; TA had its selling points, but Kingdoms gave them all away.
Old October 10, 2002, 01:25   #32
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 16:59
Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
The entire population of South Korea can't be wrong.
Hm.

/me decides there's something wrong with the statement.
Old October 10, 2002, 02:03   #33
tinyp3nis
Prince

Local Time: 11:59
Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Hm.

* Urban Ranger decides there's something wrong with the statement.
Let's just say koreans have new passion.
Old October 10, 2002, 02:18   #34
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 02:59
Quote:
Originally posted by loinburger
A friend of mine swore by TA: Kingdoms, but it seemed too much like TA Lite to me. I'd pick Starcraft or C&C before Kingdoms any day; TA had its selling points, but Kingdoms gave them all away.
I disliked TA:kingdoms

Jon Miller
Old October 10, 2002, 06:10   #35
Footie Mad
Prince

Local Time: 09:59
The first time I saw one of those Korean Starcraft shows on TV I laughed my ass off, soon after I started enjoying it, especially the crazy commentators. Also watching a few of Boxers replays from WCG ímpressed me incredibly, at that time he was invincible.
It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars
Old October 10, 2002, 10:02   #36
tinyp3nis
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Wille
The first time I saw one of those Korean Starcraft shows on TV I laughed my ass off, soon after I started enjoying it, especially the crazy commentators. Also watching a few of Boxers replays from WCG ímpressed me incredibly, at that time he was invincible.
I like vod's too They wouldn't be the same without the grazy language.
Old October 10, 2002, 13:55   #37
Thrawn05
King

Local Time: 03:59
Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Miller

I disliked TA:kingdoms

Jon Miller
TA:K was good, but it just didn't have that same feeling TA and TA:CC had.
Old October 10, 2002, 13:56   #38
Thrawn05
King

I remember seeing someone who had Starcraft on his SNES (I think he hacked it). The problem was... how do you NOT look at the other side of the screen when playing against someone else.
Old October 11, 2002, 07:55   #39
Footie Mad
Prince

Local Time: 09:59
Quote:
Originally posted by Thrawn05
The problem was... how do you NOT look at the other side of the screen when playing against someone else.
You can glue a big cardboard wing on the center of the TV in order to split it and then you sit one person on each side.
It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars
Old October 11, 2002, 11:03   #40
tniem
King

Anyone know how WC3 is selling in Korea?
Old October 11, 2002, 12:12   #41
tinyp3nis
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by tniem
Anyone know how WC3 is selling in Korea?
Well I'm not sure how well, but I asked my friend few months ago "Will wc3 be the next big progaming thing?" and he said no. He has been playing wc3 since the official wc3beta with people like garimto so I bet he knows a bit more than me , but he don't hang around with them so much anymore. I don't know if things have changed, this is 3 months old info.
Old October 11, 2002, 13:58   #42
Chieftain

I didn't like SC. I'd take C&C over it any day. I own both, spent time on both. When it comes down to it, C&C has crisper graphics, much clearer terrain, much less useless units, and you could win a game by creatively spending $2000 (carefully landing a chinook and Tanya in an ill prepared base). SC seemed to me... you can easily spend allot of time going down dead end tech paths, resources will run out just as your economy is booming, managing two bases for more resources is just tedious, and the only way to win was to just use overpowering force. It became too cut and dry for me, and I didn't enjoy playing the game.
Old October 11, 2002, 14:08   #43
tinyp3nis
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by 1
I didn't like SC. I'd take C&C over it any day. I own both, spent time on both. When it comes down to it, C&C has crisper graphics, much clearer terrain, much less useless units, and you could win a game by creatively spending $2000 (carefully landing a chinook and Tanya in an ill prepared base). SC seemed to me... you can easily spend allot of time going down dead end tech paths, resources will run out just as your economy is booming, managing two bases for more resources is just tedious, and the only way to win was to just use overpowering force. It became too cut and dry for me, and I didn't enjoy playing the game.
After reading this it's obvious that you are a newbie in sc. This is what dinodoc was talking about when he mentioned Big game hunters players . Real players don't use dead end paths, and use every unit to its fullest potential, not mass. You're not a bad person, don't take this as offence. I used to think I knew everything too when I was a newb.
Old October 11, 2002, 14:43   #44
Chieftain

Dewd, my point is... in a good game there SHOULDN"T be dead end paths...at all. As for the "newb" comment... I'll just refer you to your own screen name.
Old October 11, 2002, 14:54   #45
tinyp3nis
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by 1
Dewd, my point is... in a good game there SHOULDN"T be dead end paths...at all. As for the "newb" comment... I'll just refer you to your own screen name.
Name me those dead end paths. Obviously you have great understanding of this game So tell me, what are the paths?

Answer also this, do you or do you not admit being a newbie ?
Old October 11, 2002, 15:02   #46
Chieftain

Oooommmggg.. honestly, anyone who would talk trash on someone else because they don't have the same opinion on a stupid computer game....has taken the whole thing way too seriously. Newbie? Who gives a **** what skill level I would be? I DON"T like the game, many other people DON"T like the game. Its that simple. Could you sound ANY more like a computer geek?
Old October 11, 2002, 15:20   #47
tinyp3nis
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by 1
Oooommmggg.. honestly, anyone who would talk trash on someone else because they don't have the same opinion on a stupid computer game....has taken the whole thing way too seriously. Newbie? Who gives a **** what skill level I would be? I DON"T like the game, many other people DON"T like the game. Its that simple. Could you sound ANY more like a computer geek?
That is the whole point, finally you got it. You shouldn't be ashamed to be a newbie, I didn't mean anything to upset you. Just didn't know you are that sensitive. Sorry my bad. I actually said this :
Quote:
You're not a bad person, don't take this as offence.
My critisism was for the things you said about the game, they were totally false. The fact that you don't like the game is true I give you that.
I hope you understand that there is nothing bad being a newb, everyone has been there. Watch carefully who you are calling a geek when you post message looking like that
Old October 11, 2002, 16:24   #48
Felch
Civilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 04:59
SC does have a lot of depth. Unfortunately most of the depth is never realized because games become battles of attrition between huge homogenous hordes of units.
Old October 11, 2002, 16:52   #49
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Out of curiosity, what dead end tech paths are you refering to 1?
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old October 11, 2002, 17:22   #50
SnowFire
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

UR: I'm not so sure. If you don't like SC, then BW probably won't be able to overcome it- you will still have to be clicky with your mouse. That said, the options you can do multiply. Just as an example, the Terrans got Medics & Valkyries. In terms of SOME stategies I can pull off, many of which work better with BW...
-A fast Marines rush. Kinda standard, but can be effective, although not much fun if you win with it.
-Wait a bit, and hit with more Marines backed by Medics. The Medics make the Marines about twice as useful, being that they live longer and you can stimpack a lot more freely.
-Ignore infantry troops almost completely and head straight for 2 Factories, cranking out Siege tanks to blow up land units and Goliaths for fast-support and anti-air. Maybe build some dropships to put a tankie surprise at the back of somebody's base. The Goliaths can shoot farther with their anti-air now, too (with an upgrade from BW, making them awesome against air). Upgrade Vehicle techs a lot.
-Try and build up to Starports fast, and get out some cloaked Wraiths before my opponent has adequate detection. Even if repulsed, I might be able to come back with more, or even more deviously, just make a few to make your opponent waste too many resources on detectors.
-On a land map, build up some Vultures and research Spider Mines, running around skirmishing and finding enemy expansions while dropping Mines in places I intend to fight battles. Meanwhile, my base is secure.
-If my enemy is in love with air units, or in mass team games, build up a huge force of Valkyries and wait for their army of BCs/Carriers/something to come on in... and die.
-Nukes & Science Vessels speak for themselves in temrs of the support they can give.

And so on. Contrary to what 1 said, there are no useless units in SC: BW. It's beautiful. Sure, you don't use Vultures every game, but they sure have their place (and people like Boxer certainly use 'em, so they can't suck!).
Old October 12, 2002, 01:00   #51
tniem
King

1 and tiny cut it out guys. No reason to call each other newbies at a game. Lets be reasonable. Simply say why you like what you like and why it has depth but without all the attacks.
Old October 12, 2002, 06:08   #52
tinyp3nis
Prince

Quote:
1 and tiny cut it out guys. No reason to call each other newbies at a game. Lets be reasonable. Simply say why you like what you like and why it has depth but without all the attacks.
I didn't make an attack. It was and is a simple fact, the message he wrote is 100% proof of he being newbie. If you fail to see the reason I said it the "oh so evil" word newbie (no, it was not to insult) then it's your problem entirely I had to call him a newbie because he seemed to think he had understanding of something he did not.

Newbie is short from inexperienced player, did you know?
Hoping your crusade for love and peace in the realms of apolyton be wonderfully victorious
Old October 12, 2002, 17:51   #53
tniem
King

tiny, I was trying to give you guys a warning just before it got out of hand and lead to both you being banned. I am sorry if you don't respect me for that.

You can have a discussion and a fight without the verbal assualts. Look at what you said in the very first post,
Quote:
After reading this it's obvious that you are a newbie in sc (...) Real players don't use dead end paths (.... ) You're not a bad person, don't take this as offence. I used to think I knew everything too when I was a newb.
[size=1l]Bold added for emphasis by me.[/size]

Does that really seem like you don't mean any offense? It seems to mean that you were insulting him right off the bat. And he took your bait. Why couldn't you have said this:

Quote:
There are no dead end paths in SC for serious players. The experienced player knows what to go for and what not to in all situations. The game is incredibly balanced in that all the tech upgrades are important in certain situations. The players that win, know when the time is right for the upgrade.
All I am asking is for this to stay civil. You both seem to have valid points to make that would benefit both of you to hear. You could find C&C to be a game that you would actually like to give a longer try, while he could find SC to be a game that he would like to get good at to battle you. And I think others would respect you both more as well.
Old October 12, 2002, 19:00   #54
tinyp3nis
Prince

Quote:
tiny, I was trying to give you guys a warning just before it got out of hand and lead to both you being banned. I am sorry if you don't respect me for that.

You can have a discussion and a fight without the verbal assualts. Look at what you said in the very first post,
Quote:
After reading this it's obvious that you are a newbie in sc (...) Real players don't use dead end paths (.... ) You're not a bad person, don't take this as offence. I used to think I knew everything too when I was a newb.
[size=1l]Bold added for emphasis by me.[/size]

Does that really seem like you don't mean any offense? It seems to mean that you were insulting him right off the bat. And he took your bait. Why couldn't you have said this:

Quote:
There are no dead end paths in SC for serious players. The experienced player knows what to go for and what not to in all situations. The game is incredibly balanced in that all the tech upgrades are important in certain situations. The players that win, know when the time is right for the upgrade.
All I am asking is for this to stay civil. You both seem to have valid points to make that would benefit both of you to hear. You could find C&C to be a game that you would actually like to give a longer try, while he could find SC to be a game that he would like to get good at to battle you. And I think others would respect you both more as well.
It was not getting out of hand, but I guess thats not the point. I need to learn to be more PC or polite? Not using the word newbie sounds like PC to me. Fine I'll try. It was not a bait, are you baiting me here by saying that I baited there? Btw I actually spent some time when I posted then, at first it was way too offensive (well it was the same but looked evil). I was actually aiming to get the things said and not even getting any reply. Maybe I need to learn more english.

What comes to that last paragragh, you can't possibly know how much I know about rts

If I ever get banned it will be a miracle, because I'm not dumbass but thanks for warning anyway