Old January 27, 2003, 15:34   #31
Clear Skies
Prince

Local Time: 09:02
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I've seen the Data Angels kick serious butt, but Morgan's never gone very far in any game...at least not militarily. I've seen him expand quite a way, but only if he's alone on a continent. Otherwise he either borders up to someone and stops there or gets his behind kicked by his neighbour.
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Old January 27, 2003, 15:47   #32
Gibsie
Civilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

The Pirates seem to smell. They just kept building transport after transport when I played against them... it was apalling.
Old January 27, 2003, 16:35   #33
Static Universe
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 03:02
Quote:
Originally posted by Gibsie
The Pirates seem to smell. They just kept building transport after transport when I played against them... it was apalling.
It's pretty tiresome when all the AI seabases do is build transports, especially when the AI rarely transports any decent troops anywhere. I always thought Civ II was a lot better about unloading a bunch of troops on your territory by sea.
Old January 28, 2003, 18:32   #34
CEO Aaron
ACDG3 Morgan
King

Well, Nautie Pirates are the worst faction in the game, period, so it should come as no suprise that the underskilled AI can't make them viable. They can make themselves quite an annoyance if they find you early and you haven't got Doctrine:Flexibilty to swim out and blow up/steal the 4 or 5 1/1 skimmers they use to blow up all your improvements from offshore.

I usually find it worth my while to buy them off early to make sure they don't harrass me, but sometimes they just won't take your tech and leave.
Old January 28, 2003, 19:10   #35
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 06:02
Quote:
Originally posted by CEO Aaron
Well, Nautie Pirates are the worst faction in the game, period.
well, that's your opinion

come to think of it, i've never played with the pirates as the AI, only as them myself. i can see how the AI would suck with them though...
Old January 29, 2003, 02:51   #36
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 19:02
The AI Pirates build millions of size one or two bases in every available space. It really, really annoys me, but I think that's supposed to represent the pirates spreading out everywhere and trying to monopolize the trade routes.
Old January 29, 2003, 17:55   #37
Gibsie
Civilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

No, I think that's some very base AI in action
Old January 29, 2003, 18:32   #38
Dr Jekyll
Settler

The AI seems to suck with most factions except the aliens, with which it more or less owns everyone. The Hive and the Spartans seem to be somewhat better than most others, too. The Gaians and Data Angels played by the AI, however, are a TOTAL CATASTROPHE. I've never seen it fare even mediocrely with those factions.
Old January 29, 2003, 18:42   #39
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 04:02
Quote:
Originally posted by Clear Skies
Forest seeding definitely helps a lot. Gives the AI a big early boost and helps min production throughout the game. Otherwise, the AI formers seem decidedly shy about planting forests...
The entire situation summed up in two words: Silly AI.
How do you forest seed? Is there a setting for it, or do you have to open the editor and do it manually?
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old January 30, 2003, 21:54   #40
Xian
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by TKG
hmm that link doesn't work....let me see if i can attach it
thanks for the link, the map makes the game a lot bigger of a challenge

The pirates rule, they would be the most unbalanced faction in the game if they didnt have the -1 growth, and even that doesnt totally stop 'em.

Yeah they get played horribly with the AI, and so do the Data jacks, oh well
Old January 31, 2003, 10:05   #41
ellie
Settler

re
Hmm the opposite to me!

the most reliable ai faction on my games of classic smac is deidre. I play on the ultimate builders map and she expands quickly and does well.

The university sometimes does well as an ai faction.

On my games the hive builds tonnes of units but they are usually outdated junk when i invade him. The funniest is when he had an island close to miriam and they were nuking each other every second turn ))

Morgan has sucked on all my smac games when ai, as has miriam. The spartans have never been a threat either.

On my first ever smax game (currently playing) i picked sven and of the ai, deidre is the biggest, the caretakers are the most danggerous (no usurpers just caretakers). And the consiousness are closest to me techwise.

The data angels still have 2 bases lol ;p

Ellie
Old February 1, 2003, 03:47   #42
Mr. Harley
Prince

Local Time: 05:02
Kelp seeding.

For my first transcend game with the Pirates, I tried setting the map to high erosive forces, resulting in lots of inlets and shallow ocean areas. One thing that I confirmed was that the AI terraforming on oceans is awful. I suspect seeding Kelp on a map near the AI starting locations could help them considerably, the forest seeding comments gave me that idea
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.