Old October 7, 2002, 07:53   #1
Nym
Prince

Local Time: 10:03
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Global warming and its consequences
Has someone tested how the global warming is implemented?

I keep on playing my current game after 2050 to experience the phenomenon. I launched about 25 ICBM against french cities to quicken the war I was involved in (they first tried to attack me such a way and hit only two of my cities thanks to the IDS) .
During some turns I experienced dramatic global warming consequences (more than 60 terrain devaluations each turn ). I still have global warming problems (about 30 alerts each turn ), but I quite succeed in protecting remaining plains and grasslands by planting forests.
As it is not possible to improve a terrain (desert -> plain -> grassland) with workers, does someone know if it is possible to stop the global warming process? Logically effects should reduce with pollution, but I did not noticed this yet.
Old October 7, 2002, 20:25   #2
Sean
Prince

Local Time: 09:03
Global warming seems to be culimative. That is once it starts, it can never truely get better, (just less bad). So if you play beyond 2050, it is unsurprising your global warming is out of control.
Old October 9, 2002, 02:39   #3
bbaws
Warlord

You might be able to reverse it by selling factories and manufacturing plants. That's not much help though is it?
Old October 9, 2002, 04:07   #4
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 05:03
Kill of the AI's and get your cities to not have pollution and you can arrest it pretty well. Biggest pollution is those plus 20 size cities and the fac/mfg plants and any coal plants.

Edit to remove brain dead statement.

Last edited by vmxa1; October 9, 2002 at 16:21.
Old October 9, 2002, 15:03   #5
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 02:03
(content deleted to remove reference to brain dead statement)
Sorry I took a year to do so :mybad:

Last edited by Jaybe; September 21, 2003 at 15:13.
Old October 9, 2002, 16:15   #6
vmxa1
Deity

No sometimes I just go brain dead. The solution and cause is as I said though. Kill the AI and it can't pollute.
Old October 9, 2002, 16:43   #7
realpolitic
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 01:03
Global Warming can be gooooooood! If your ahead technologically, you can insure that you retain that lead long enough to launch the spaceship. If You're playing Domination or Conquest you can delay AIs Sytnthetic Fibers advance.
Old October 9, 2002, 17:42   #8
HazieDaVampire
King

in my current game i'm planning on launching a **** load of nukes and turning my planet into a desert wasteland!

I LOVE KHARAK!
Old October 10, 2002, 13:46   #9
ThaddeusAlexander
Prince

Local Time: 04:03
60 Tiles a TURN???

Wow ... my GOD ! have you no respect for the digital civ3 planet?? hehe

The most I've ever had per turn that I could see was about 10 and this was after a space race victory , playing for fun. I think you need some mass transportation and recycling fast ... And maybe convert some of those mines in to irrigation to reduce on shield production and thus pollution.

And yes, can all factories and MPlants too ... first ones out the door. I always aim for the hoover dam in my games.

However, 60 tiles maybe isn't that bad if you're playing a gigantic map and you have that many cities? If you've been conquering and you have over 50 cities then i can see that happening , no discussion.... but thats getting pretty nutz in itself!

Cheers
~Thadalex
Old October 10, 2002, 13:47   #10
ThaddeusAlexander
Prince

But I never thought of planting forests... thanks for the idea! Green is the best colour!

Cheers
~Thadalex
Old October 10, 2002, 16:09   #11
Nym
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by ThaddeusAlexander
However, 60 tiles maybe isn't that bad if you're playing a gigantic map and you have that many cities? If you've been conquering and you have over 50 cities then i can see that happening , no discussion.... but thats getting pretty nutz in itself!
I am playing on a huge map and have about 97 cities. Below is my mini map for the current year 2078. I let you decide which color is mine.

My land area is 241 800 sqm but I have only about 37 millions people.
Furthermore I have a quite low pollution now : 4 tons (2nd rank).
Old October 10, 2002, 17:41   #12
Traelin
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by ThaddeusAlexander
The most I've ever had per turn that I could see was about 10 and this was after a space race victory , playing for fun. I think you need some mass transportation and recycling fast ... And maybe convert some of those mines in to irrigation to reduce on shield production and thus pollution.
HAHA I'll have to send you a save of my current game. The freaking French wouldn't stop nuking the Babs, so I had to crush them and take all their Uranium deps. Of course, this only happened AFTER the sun turned red (probably 1000 times over). Just about my whole continent (Huge map) is desert. Thanks God for rivers!
Old October 10, 2002, 17:53   #13
HazieDaVampire
King

thats what i want to happen! Screw them! I've sent a colony ship to Hiigara!
Old October 10, 2002, 20:23   #14
vmxa1
Deity

You guys are a riot.
Old October 11, 2002, 05:57   #15
Solomyr
Warlord

the sun turns RED? i've seen it get kinda orangey, but RED? pure madness. of course, i've never played passed the win (or the loss in some cases). and i also always head for the hoover damn (which is nice, becasue the AI seems to generally take a different path)
Old October 11, 2002, 10:43   #16
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 02:03
Quote:
Originally posted by Solomyr
the sun turns RED? i've seen it get kinda orangey, but RED? pure madness. of course, i've never played passed the win (or the loss in some cases). and i also always head for the hoover damn (which is nice, becasue the AI seems to generally take a different path)
Even with all these conditions you mention, if you have been in a world with heavy nuclear exchanges ....

IRL, with all the dust thrown into the air it could become global COOLING. But the end result would be the same: lowered productivity from terrain.
Old October 11, 2002, 12:26   #17
Skeeve
Prince

Regarding those small messages for tile devaluations, e.g. "Grassland becomes plains due to global warming";

Is there a way to turn the bloody messages off?!

I, too was playing Nuclear snowball fight once and had well over 15 of these messages per turn and it got rather tedious waiting for them.
Old October 11, 2002, 12:50   #18
Nym
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeeve
Regarding those small messages for tile devaluations, e.g. "Grassland becomes plains due to global warming";

Is there a way to turn the bloody messages off?!

I, too was playing Nuclear snowball fight once and had well over 15 of these messages per turn and it got rather tedious waiting for them.
With about 60 per turn I understand what you mean; but it is only waiting 60 seconds. When I spent more than 1/4 hour to play each turn (lot of micromanagement and war time) it is not very big waiting 1 minute at the beginning of the turn.
Old October 11, 2002, 16:30   #19
Skeeve
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Nym

With about 60 per turn I understand what you mean; but it is only waiting 60 seconds. When I spent more than 1/4 hour to play each turn (lot of micromanagement and war time) it is not very big waiting 1 minute at the beginning of the turn.
Yes, I suppose it is all relative. The 15 seconds for me was only a minor inconvenience, but I'm a speed-monger. Can't even sit still while the computer is taking its turn.
Old November 10, 2002, 19:09   #20
Nym
Prince

I've just discovered something quite interesting: tiles can auto-improve!

Look at the two screenshots below. The first one was in the year 2118 AD and the second in the year after. Do you notice how the three tiles improve from toundra to grassland?

befor:

after:
Old November 10, 2002, 19:52   #21
GodSpawn
Prince

Interesting. I've never noticed that before.
Old November 10, 2002, 21:47   #22
vmxa1
Deity

Yes global warming has been known to change a forested tundra to grassland, probably a bug. I have seen it happen.
Old November 10, 2002, 22:07   #23
badams52
King

i cringe at the thought of how much micro management nym needs to build forests every turn while he waits and waits and waits and waits for global warming to stop. let us know how long it takes

Last edited by badams52; November 10, 2002 at 22:15.
Old November 11, 2002, 05:34   #24
Nym
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by badams52
i cringe at the thought of how much micro management nym needs to build forests every turn while he waits and waits and waits and waits for global warming to stop. let us know how long it takes
I think it began about one century ago. It is quite tedious. But it has improved: I only get about 15 global warming alerts per turn. I spent so about 10 minutes per turn.
Old November 11, 2002, 18:13   #25
Redstar
Warlord

Strange..i have had some nuke fests and also somtimes played way past the deadline

using 45 nukes...i have never had more than 7 per turn change because of global warming. I guess i have to let those radiated squares stay around even longer.

Also, since the AI does not care too much about pollution,I have never seen a game that did not have global warming.

Every experience differs...one of the great things about civ 3
Old November 11, 2002, 18:22   #26
Nym
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Redstar
using 45 nukes...i have never had more than 7 per turn change because of global warming. I guess i have to let those radiated squares stay around even longer.
Maybe it depends on the number of squares radiated. As I strike about 20 french cities, there was about 160 squares radiated and I need lot of time to clean this all.