Old October 7, 2002, 13:10   #1
jshelr
Civilization III PBEMIron CiversC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Emperor

Local Time: 05:04
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The Streak Is The Thing
I've found a way to keep myself interested in the game. I thought I'd share it, since it really works for me and I'm not that odd, at least relative to most civ III players.

What is critical is to be truly invested in the outcome, so the process is actually exciting. What is proving to work for me is keeping a winning streak alive.

1) Chose a level where you are very competitive -- for me, that's monarch.

2) Play all random, so you get wild map formations and new civs to increase variety

3) Play out every start with no cheating.

4) See how many games you can "win" in a row.

Personally, I define a win as retiring with a multiple tech lead and by far the largest civ. No need to play out foregone conclusions.

Each fresh start has taken on a materially heightened sense of importance since a bad position could bring the streak to a halt. For example, last game I drew Rome and was placed on a rotten piece of turf, round and barely bigger than a full size city. That connected via a 4-tile isthmus to a lush paradise of green tiles with water, extra shields, lux everywhere, and Bismarck. It looked like a long shot, but a dense pack build in Rome's lousy starting spot permitted a vet archer rush that caught Bismarck shorthanded in the capital. There followed an interesting little war where Berlin's now abandoned limited road system acted as a base for our defense -- the roads turning archers into essentially the equivalent of horses. Germany still had more cities and attacked in force, only to get mowed down. After a palace bounce, about 90% of production occurred in our new German holdings. But the point is that it was fun precisely because the start presented a challenge to the streak.

During later stages, I now tend to be less cavalier and to think much more seriously about the game. If you want a long streak of wins, you can't take life-and-death chances without near certainty, or the law of averages is going to bite you sooner than you expect. Are oil and rubber going to be available? Concern with outcomes is what makes the game fun.

It hasn't happened yet, but one of these games is going to see the AI gang up successfully and may involve trying to play back into contention after an unsuccessful ancient era. That too, I bet, will be fun to try.

Last edited by jshelr; October 7, 2002 at 14:37.
Old October 7, 2002, 14:35   #2
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 02:04
I haven't been playing for the Streak, but like the idea. The game never got stale for me, but for a while I felt as if I could see staleness approaching.

I stopped playing only as the Egyptians or Japanese, started playing all random, and started varying map sizes - I found even the size of the map injects a little fresh blood into the game and results in a different thought process. Just the randomness of getting some lousy starts, with "lousy" civs, against powerful, scary neighbors has really caused my interest to grow over time. For me, devising the winning strategy based upon the start, the civ, the neighbors and the progress of the varying competition, and then trying to execute the strategy, has really made each new start a "fresh" experience.

"The Streak" sounds like a great way to add a little extra oomph! to each game if the game does look to grow a little stale.

Catt
Old October 7, 2002, 14:43   #3
bbaws
Warlord

Local Time: 09:04
My life has achieved a better balance since I quit playing Civ3 a month ago. The break has made the game seem fresher. Perhaps I'll see how long a streak I can manage now that I'm ready to get back at it.
Old October 7, 2002, 18:26   #4
- Groucho -
Diplomacy
Prince

Local Time: 04:04
So, where is your streak at?
Old October 7, 2002, 20:12   #5
Sean
Prince

Local Time: 09:04
This does sound an interesting idea. Like Catt, I had just started playing with some new civs, just for a change. I might just have to give this a go.

Sean.
Old October 15, 2002, 11:03   #6
jshelr
Civilization III PBEMIron CiversC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Emperor

This is almost a shameless bump.

In answer to where the steak stands, I've been on a trip for the last week and played five civ games, including the Canadian holiday weekend. The streak is at seven.

The current game may be curtains for the streak. I drew a very young world, raging barbs, and Babs on a pure pangea map. Mountains literally everywhere in my turf with no normal options for city siting. Early archer rush got me started and later horse rush expanded Babs foreign holdings. Only Rome, Greece and Babs are left entering the modern era with Babs biggest, but far from satisfactorily built up.

Rome attacked and Greece is setting there well satisfied to continue research while the Babs duke it out with Rome. Greece will not be bribed into participating, and might actually be plotting to join in on Rome's side .
Hard to sleep at night when in a situation like this.

I have to choose whether to risk going for domination without MA while Rome may quickly get MI or, having taken all the Roman border cities, to sit back and defend, hoping to minimize war weariness and get a SS launch. It appears Babs had a small tech research speed advantage, at least before Rome attacked.
Old October 15, 2002, 13:11   #7
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Good luck