Old February 17, 2000, 16:41   #31
VetLegion
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
Emperor

Local Time: 00:34
Local Date: October 31, 2010
SG
Thanks...I got it and it works perfectly
(after I cleaned enough conventional memory for it...ahh dos )

Steve Clark
I downloaded the demo and it is great! Combat is useles, civ model is better, but the 3d terrain! man they should take a look at this in firaxis...
Old February 17, 2000, 17:33   #32
Steve Clark
King

Local Time: 16:34
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Vet: Glad you liked the demo, but am wondering as to why you said combat was useless and civ2 was better? IMO, the combat in CNW is the best part of the game - civ2 has no combat to play out. Maybe it was just the demo, since I don't do demos, they may have left that part out?
Old February 18, 2000, 17:59   #33
VetLegion
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
Emperor

Local Time: 00:34
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Hmmm...okay "useless" was the wrong word.

The combat exists in demo and I gave it some testing. Problem is AI is very strong , and the rules are somewhat "unclear". For example, they say that flanking attacks and combined forces attacks are more effective then ordinary frontal ones.
But in my short (I played 2 days) expirience, the random element is too high. It is so big that it denies the advantages you get tacticizing.
Sometimes one soldier can miss three or four times in a row, and sometimes he hits two others with one shot! Probably these extremes "even" when you play more.
I didnt think the combat conecept itself was bad,just that it would be useless in a civ game. Especially since civ combat engages great distances (artillery), close combat (warriors vs horses) and arial and naval fight, so this "chess board" system seemes to me isnt enough abstract.
Game has many strongpoints, of which I like graphics best. I am sure we will have 3d terrain in civ3 and I hope it is going to be something like this.
Old February 21, 2000, 14:21   #34
Steve Clark
King

Local Time: 16:34
Vet: Fair enough. I can tell you that the combat modifiers are not that random. Each units (or combined units) have a rating from 1 to 6 as well as hit points (indicated by the asterisks after a battle round). This is just like CivII with its A/D/Hit/Fire and the green/yellow/red status bars. No difference. I have fought over 1000 battles in CNW and have won about 90% of them. All it takes is very strong units (just like in CivII, I don't fight offensively unless I have superior units). When I fight, I fire from 4-6 units at once, especially from the front and flanks. A typical battle round would be drawn like this:

Cav Cav....X X X
..........Cav Cav

..........Art Art

All firing at the same at enemy units X.

Anyway, I probably bored you and everyone else about this. Let's just say that of TBS games, this is my favorite combat model. And like I mentioned at first, it wouldn't work for CivIII because it would take too long.
[This message has been edited by Steve Clark (edited February 21, 2000).]
Old February 27, 2000, 05:09   #35
Bridgeboy
Settler

Local Time: 22:34
The original comment noted that microprose didnt make a game as fun as civ2, what about masters of orionII, moo2? This game is like civ2 starting in the future, techs are researched, instead of cities, you develop planets. All the combat involves spaceships shooting it out, and you have about 25 different race characteristics to choose from. Any avid game players would love this game, and also it is great to play against a friend on a modem or internet connection(HEAT.net) supports it.