Old October 9, 2002, 20:35   #1
Knightblade pDM
Civilization III Multiplayer
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:10
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Why don't they just give it up?!?
Ok, I'm not asking for help or nothing about this, I just find it interesting in the current game I'm playing.

*Fully* unmodded/Standard/8 Civs/Full Random/Regent

I'm just playing for fun as I won this game with Japan with a Space victory in the 1700s.

During the actual game, I was only in two wars. One early vs France and one in the 1500s vs Germany as an MPP with Babylon. France was wiped out early and I knocked Germany off of my island and of to a small offshore island with two cities left, and had two GLs one after another which I used to form my first two armies. The other city on that isle belonged to Babylon.

I had the whole continent to myself and controlled a choke point that lead to the Greeks. I was ahead in tech/power/score the entire game and found myself building the SS in the late 1600s to early 1700s. My competition was Persia and Greece. But I wasn't worried. My MI/MA controlled the Greek border and Persia had a huge isle continent in the middle of the ocean but they spread onto the Greek and Babylonian lands. After the SS win, I decided to go on. That was when all the fun broke loose.

There was peace for about 400 years as everyone massed nukes and patrolled the seas with their respective navies. Then the first World War happened.

Persia had an MA with Babylon against Greece
Persia had an MPP with China against Greece
Puny germany had an MPP with China against Babylon
Greece had an MA with China against Persia

I was neutral. Staying out of other people's business and just massing MAs and nukes. Suddenly, a Greek ICBM went for Tokyo(where the Pentagon and Heroic Epic is) but my SDI shot it down. But since Greece had no MPP, I was free to attack, and I did. My four MA armies took 7 cities from Greece. I used two ICBMs on huge coastal cities then moved in with MI/MA.

Next turn I switched from Demo to Monarchy because I knew I would be in for a hell of a war. And since everyone else had nukes, I'd better be prepared to declare war against someone else. I took another 3 cities and sued for peace against Greece. My Armies secured the border and my MA stabilized resisting cities.

Three turns after I had peace, Greece attacked me again, if you want to call 4 marines an attack. They fell to my MA like paper dolls and got two more GLs out of that.

I took another 2 cities and slowly pushed Greece back to where half their continent was mine. I reinforced all my MA and moved the others back within my borders even though I had Battlefield. I was just being cautious.
So they basically beg for peace at this time and went back to a quiet existence. It's funny, I was peaceful the whole game, then afterwards, I'm warmongering.

Finally, in the early 2200s, where I am now, they declare war on me again, launch 3 ICBMs(none got through) and try to attack with MI/Marines. My MA(now mostly Elites) ripped them a new one and I took 4 more cities and a few turns later as they were trying to muster some sort of offense with Tanks and Longbowmen , I got peace again.

But you would think they would've learned not to mess with me. Yeah they took down the once mighty Persian army but there is no way in hell they're going to run through me to conquer the world. They've got another thing coming...stupid Greece
Old October 9, 2002, 21:32   #2
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

I know what you mean. I hate it when the AI is furious with me and declares war when I just about own the world.

One thing the AI does not value in this game enough is its own existance.

Sell your photos
Old October 9, 2002, 21:35   #3
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 05:10
They are not that smart, remember even a cornered rat will fight when it see no alternative. The AI needs to win and has a list of things to evaluate and even if it knows it can't win, what choice does it have. I have seen it do that under the most rediculous scenarios.
Old October 10, 2002, 13:00   #4
ThaddeusAlexander
Prince

EEWWWW too much talk of using nuclear weapons for my taste

Aside from that, I just wanted to lend my two cent.

I hate it when the AI fights back with no hope too but I'm usually either in a Republic or a Democracy so its a real pisser even if its only a few turns (I know WWness isn't as big if you don't declare war, but still puts a drain on me). And I don't think the AI is that stupid ... They know they need their cities back if they want to continue to contend ... would YOU actually sit back and let your opponent win the game? Personally I would fight back or maybe aim for a diplomatic victory (one of my fav games ... first game on diety i was pretty much crushed ... i had 4 cities in the modern age while the other civs had a good base of about 20 mega cities. so i build the UN and thought 'what the hell' and got really nice with all my opponents and since i was the loser of hte bunch, i won their votes and I won teh game )

Too bad the AI doesn't do that.

As for nukes, I just wanted to say that in all my playing, I've only seen the AI use nukes against me 5 times ever ... thrice from ICBMs and twice from a nuke-armed sub... thats it. well i can't complain ...

Cheers
~Thadalex
Old October 10, 2002, 13:38   #5
Skeeve
Prince

Local Time: 05:10
Re: Why don't they just give it up?!?
Quote:
Originally posted by Knightblade pDM

Next turn I switched from Demo to Monarchy because I knew I would be in for a hell of a war.
Why not switch to communism?
The flat corruption does wonders for far-flung empires, not to mention your unit support - great for war.

BTW, all this talk of the AI's motives - I mean, really, the AI is nothing but a complex set of algorithms. The programmers did a great job, but there are still limitations to how to AI can respond to a nearly infinite set of circumstances.
Old October 10, 2002, 14:19   #6
Knightblade pDM
Civilization III Multiplayer
Chieftain

Well, this was a nukefest. AI civs nuking other AI civs, me nuking them, them nuking me, it was pure hell. Then global warming took my 260+ gpt economy down to -270 in just a few turns with research down to 0%. It was then that I launched my 9 tact nukes and 12 ICBMs against every nation in the world and POd everyone big time before I quit

Such fun
Old October 10, 2002, 14:21   #7
ThaddeusAlexander
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Knightblade pDM
Well, this was a nukefest. AI civs nuking other AI civs, me nuking them, them nuking me, it was pure hell. Then global warming took my 260+ gpt economy down to -270 in just a few turns with research down to 0%. It was then that I launched my 9 tact nukes and 12 ICBMs against every nation in the world and POd everyone big time before I quit

Such fun
Remind me, if I ever become an American citizen NOT to vote for you when you run for president one day

Not that I plan on becoming an American ....

Cheers
~Thadalex