Old October 23, 2002, 12:30   #121
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 04:12
Local Date: November 1, 2010
All Meckpom said was no problemo. Did that mean "no problem, it's ok that you forgot that I was playing", or did it mean "no problem, let Floyd play"?
Old October 23, 2002, 14:27   #122
MeckPomm
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:12
Hi, here I am. I do my turn now.
Old October 23, 2002, 14:49   #123
MeckPomm
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:12
Britsh Report

The Britsh Armee is looking after a good strategy position in Norway, so two German Bombers were shooted down.

Moreover two German U-Boats were sunk in the Atlantic.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip british1942.zip (95.4 KB, 4 views)
Old October 24, 2002, 23:28   #124
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Ok before I post, I just want to say I'm really really really sorry Pavlov...

DEATHBLOW!!!

This month the mighty Red Army trashed at least half of the fascist's combined Eastern Front forces in what will be known as the decisive Battles of the Dnieper! In an all-or-nothing blitzkrieg encompassing suicidal frontal assaults, heavy artillery bombardment, tank raids, bomber raids, and numerous I-16 kamikazes, Army Group Don has captured Sevastopol and Odessa, while Army Group Kursk gloats at its accomplishment of burning the great city of Kharkov to a crisp.

Operation Kutusov: the Red Army reaches the Romanian border!

Soviet troops cheer as they straddle the old border with Romania, west of
Odessa.

Even the planners of our southern Operation Kutusov could never have expected the results we saw, but thanks to numerous German blunders on every part of the front, what was meant to be an attritive raid has been a tide-turning disaster for the Nazis.

Operation Kutusov began on February 13 when hundreds of obsolete BT-7's rumbled out of Rostov-on-Don and decimated a pathetic German line at Temryuk. Only a hanful of Fallshirmjager battalions and one light tank brigade stood between the 25+ divisions of Army Group Don and the Crimean Peninsula. After the Temryuk Line was no more, fierce artillery bombardment pounded the defenses of the Sevastopol fortress.

After our artillery ammo dumps were exhausted, division after division of BT-7 tanks and motorized infantry relentlessly attacked the German armor and Waffen SS storm troopers holed up in the city. It was only a matter of time before the ground forces there were destroyed. But the fortune was not over: the destruction of Sevastopol's garrison allowed our tanks, planes, and infantry to wipe out nineteen Luftwaffe squadrons on the ground!

After the planes and their pilots were defeated, the Red Army marched into Sevastopol on the 19th, and hooked crosses were jubilantly burned in every corner of the city. The units we had remaining at Rostov raided German troops in the southwestern Ukraine and probed the defenses of Odessa. To our shock, only planes defended the city, so it was taken two at the cost of two squadrons of German fighters.

Operation Rumientsev: Kharkov razed to ashes!

Just one of many images of Kharkov's scorched remains.

Men of the 197th Guards charge through the battered ruins of Kharkov.

Meanwhile as early as the 15th or February, while Soviet tanks were still bogged down at Temryuk, millions of men organized into shoestring forces from Kursk, Voronezh, Stalingrad, Rostov, and even Grozny were scraped together to attack Kharkov. Operation Rumientsev began with bomber raids against the city's armored garrison. After this, motorized infantry trucks from every direction sped into the city centre and unloaded their troops to attack the advanced panzers there. Soon Soviet infantry was running wild in the streets, tossing grenades into tanks and attaching sticky bombs to their treads.

Initially our forces were successful, but then they experienced the full wrath of the SS in the brutal urban combat. The elite troopers held their ground with such fanaticism that they should be classified as a physical barrier rather than troops. But the fact remains that these brave men were completely outnumbered, and they also came to feel the awe-inspiring fear that comes from the loss of air defense, as hundreds of I-16's strafed their positions again and again.

After the last of the city's ground garrison was destroyed on the 26nd, our occupying troops cheered as they found the same situation as was found at Sevastopol: hundreds and hundreds of the Luftwaffe's finest planes were lying vulnerable on the ground. Six squadrons were destroyed on the 27th and 28th, but then disaster struck.

At approximately 1:30 AM on February 29th, an I-16 air raid against Kharkov's cluttered airstrips destroyed several Ju-87's that were fatefully parked just ten feet away from one of the airbase's seven 3000-liter gasoline tanks. When the bombers' payloads and gas tanks exploded, the explosion ignited one of the tanks. One by one, the lined up tanks spewed liquid fire in every direction, lighting grass, trees, and buildings all around. Within hours a firestorm the likes of which the world has never seen engulfed every square meter of Kharkov. It is rumored that the flames at the Battle of Kharkov burned so intensely that a man 18 miles from the city limits could read the Pravda in the dead od night without straining his eyes. The city was completely reduced to ashes, along with millions of German corpses and tons of modern equipment.

Total fascist losses: EIGHTEEN Ju-87 Stuka squadrons, 7 Panzer III divisions, 7 SS divisions, 5 Fallschirmjager airborne divisions, 5 He-111 bomber flotillas, 4 Me-109 fighter squadrons, 4 Ju-88 bomber flotillas, 4 105mm sIG IB mobile artillery batteries, 3 Panzer IV divisions, 2 field artillery batteries, 2 FW-190 fighter squadrons, and 1 infantry division.

With nearly 1/4 of the Wehrmacht and 3/4 of the Luftwaffe annihilated, even Hitler should admit that this war can no longer be won. As you said Adolf, you have retaken command and have no more scapegoats to fire. Your only option is unconditional surrender. Mother Russia has lost many of her finest young men these past weeks, but we will never bog down on the defensive. As you saw in both January and February, Stalin has ordered the Red Army to be on the offensive at all times, no matter what the cost. To Berlin, men!

Attached Files:
File Type: zip soviets_1942_feb.zip (96.0 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Darius871; December 1, 2003 at 15:31.
Old October 24, 2002, 23:53   #125
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Observe, the advances of Operations Rumientsev to the north and Kutusov to the south:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	thing.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	27744  
Old October 25, 2002, 00:30   #126
Pap1723
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Prince

Local Time: 03:12
Japanese forces continue to advance in the Pacific by taking over control of Surabaya from the Americans.

Elsewhere, units in China got a month of well deserved rest after 5 long years of fighting the Chinese.

In different parts of Japan, units prepare for a huge amphibious invasion into an undisclosed country.

Cities Taken:
Surabaya

Pap
Old October 25, 2002, 00:31   #127
Pap1723
Prince

And the file, Apolyton's been acting weird...

Pap
Attached Files:
File Type: zip japanese february 1942.zip (96.0 KB, 3 views)
Old October 25, 2002, 00:47   #128
Pap1723
Prince

I edited Grothgar's World Map and I decided I am going to package it with the scenario, so here is an updated version. It has a more crisp look, like his Europe map.

Pap
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	apolyton - february 1942.gif
Views:	67
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	27750  
Old October 25, 2002, 00:47   #129
Pap1723
Prince

And a better look into Europe:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	apolyton - europe - february 1942.gif
Views:	68
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	27751  
Old October 25, 2002, 00:48   #130
Pap1723
Prince

And the Pacific with the islands represented:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	apolyton - pacific - february 1942.gif
Views:	66
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	27752  
Old October 25, 2002, 01:28   #131
Pavlov
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 10:12
Ah, f*ck. I really thought those twenty so units in Sevastopol (can't remember how many fighters) would hold you off. Guess I was wrong. Should've known you'd use those engineers. Nothing to apologize for, Darius.

I'll have my turn up in about seven hours.

-Homer Simpson
Old October 25, 2002, 12:37   #132
Pavlov
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

The gods must be crazy!
I opened up my turn and found that almost all of my units have been moved by the AI.

My pants are down here, gentlemen. Is this because I lost cities? I knew that the AI could change production but I didn't know that it would move units when you lose a city. I'm pretty sure I Ctrl-N-ed.

At least we know that the AI is an antifascist.

-Homer Simpson
Old October 25, 2002, 14:38   #133
academia
Civilization II PBEMSpanish CiversScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 05:12
Great maps Pap!!!

Quote:
In different parts of Japan, units prepare for a huge amphibious invasion into an undisclosed country.
Pretty obvious... don´t you think so?
These japs are dumber than the nazis! Ok, if you want to invade USA, do it.
Good luck
Old October 25, 2002, 16:13   #134
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Quote:
I opened up my turn and found that almost all of my units have been moved by the AI.

My pants are down here, gentlemen. Is this because I lost cities? I knew that the AI could change production but I didn't know that it would move units when you lose a city. I'm pretty sure I Ctrl-N-ed.

At least we know that the AI is an antifascist.
The loss of a city can't cause unit movements, only production changes. The only two explanations are either that you didn't ctrl-n, or someone has an erroneous rules file. But since this didn't happen in the last turn, I think it was the former possibility.
Old October 25, 2002, 16:45   #135
Pavlov
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Darius871

The loss of a city can't cause unit movements, only production changes. The only two explanations are either that you didn't ctrl-n, or someone has an erroneous rules file. But since this didn't happen in the last turn, I think it was the former possibility.
I thought so. Now I know for sure, thanks.

-Homer Simpson
Old October 25, 2002, 16:54   #136
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

BTW Pap there's two problems with the map; Mongolia should be red and there's some weird gray line in southwestern China.
Old October 25, 2002, 16:56   #137
Pap1723
Prince

OK, I will fix Mongolia, the weird line is actually the edge of British India, I will get rid of it though as you cannot see it anyway.

Thanks,
Pap
Old October 25, 2002, 23:41   #138
Pap1723
Prince

Here is the Read Me I have been working on.

The main bulk of it is unit information, please tell me what you think and what needs to be added.

I do have plans to add a Credit section.

Pap
Attached Files:
File Type: zip 2194 readme.zip (319.2 KB, 6 views)
Old October 26, 2002, 08:08   #139
Pavlov
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Sorry I'm so late, but there was an unexpected party yesterday and the refreshments were plentiful. And it appears hangovers give me luck.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Typhoon launched!
During the night of February 5th a small bomber raid was performed on Moscow. After heavy losses the main defences of Moscow were shattered and bombers began attacking troopconcentrations in Moscow. When der Führer was informed of the result he gave orders for a full offensive on the bolshevik capital. Army group mitte rumbled to the front and managed to break through the Soviet lines with small casualties. Stukas from the surrounding airfields descended on Moscow and despite heavy losses they managed to destroy several Red army divisions and AA-guns.

When the panzers reached Moscow it was clear that they would have to attack without infantry support. Brave tank crews drove straight into Moscow and after heavy fighting in which the burning wrecks lit up the night Moscow was cleared of bolsheviks. Forward elements from the Army group Mitte took up positions in the city and prepare for the inevitable Soviet counterattack.

A strange wreck was found in Moscow, it appeared to be multiple rocket launchers on a truck. The wreck was sent westwards for analysis.

It is believed that the Soviets will recapture the cities this month but reinforcements are on their way.

Alexandria cleared
Afrika Korps prepare for occupying the city next month.

Short news:
*Nairobi captured by airborne troops.
*Raid on Aberdeen, battleship sunk.
*British cruiser sunk in the Atlantic.
*Destroyed some units on the southern front.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip axis1942feb.zip (96.1 KB, 5 views)

-Homer Simpson
Old October 26, 2002, 12:08   #140
Choke
Prince

Local Time: 01:12
Forgot to Ctrl-N my last turn, aren't I clever...
Old October 26, 2002, 13:24   #141
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

WTG Pavlov! Sure didn't see that coming; those defense bunkers really suck.
Old October 26, 2002, 13:47   #142
Pavlov
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Darius871
WTG Pavlov! Sure didn't see that coming; those defense bunkers really suck.
You flatterer you.

I am a bit afraid over the safety of Berlin if I could take out a bunker this easily.

-Homer Simpson
Old October 27, 2002, 19:12   #143
Pap1723
Prince

Hey guys, the bunkers are definately easier to take out in certain cities.

Don't know why, but sometimes it is just luck.

Hell of an attack Pavlov.

Pap
Old October 28, 2002, 23:15   #144
Choke
Prince

-Signed a Cease-Fire and gave Japan 400 Gold

-Either my AI or the American player cancelled our alliance if he could let me know which it was that would be good
Attached Files:
File Type: zip chinese1942feb.zip (93.5 KB, 2 views)
Old October 29, 2002, 14:49   #145
academia
Emperor

Quote:
Either my AI or the American player cancelled our alliance if he could let me know which it was that would be good
To be honest, i forgot to post that. In my last turn, your AI contacted me; but I refused to talk. As a result, the chinese AI cancelled the alliance.
Anyway, i´m not interested in an alliance with China. With this "cease-fire" with the japs... in some way I feel that China betrayed USA.
Old October 29, 2002, 14:57   #146
academia
Emperor

* Some japanese vessels sank in the pacific ocean
* Some nazi subs destroyed in the atlantic ocean

Old October 29, 2002, 14:58   #147
academia
Emperor

File...
Attached Files:
File Type: zip usa1942feb.zip (96.3 KB, 2 views)
Old October 29, 2002, 18:59   #148
Choke
Prince

Ok, as long as you agree, I mean I didn't want the alliance to end, I've got no ill will toward the Allies, China simply could not be at war with Japan and survive.
Old October 29, 2002, 20:02   #149
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

But it's not meant to survive in the first place. That's why I've always thought that the British or American player should just play out the Chinese turns. If a human plays China alone, they'll either have a boring game and get wiped out, or they'll make peace, and IMO neither of these are good for the game.
Old October 29, 2002, 22:20   #150
Choke
Prince

But that wouldn't be realistic either because Japan did almost nothing in China after 1941, they already had the best Chinese cities and they needed their good troops elsewhere, so they dug in and let the Chinese sit there, I think a cease-fire simulates the situation as closely as Civ can.

Besides that the Nationalists (Kuomintang, Chiang) spent more time fighting the Communists (PRC, Mao) than they did fighting the Japanese. So lots of fighting between Japan and China would be more unrealistic than a peace treaty.