Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 11:15
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Buster13
Hey, should we get MarkG's blessing as the "FIRST PBEM" game? Maybe one of us can write a story about it for the contest? I'm not much of a writer, though...but perhaps I'd give it a try...
Hmmm...and call the game: 'Apolyton's first Civ3 PBEM game'
Old October 15, 2002, 15:32   #62
Buster13
Civilization III PBEM
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:15

Okay, ADG...VEEERY cute.

I just thought it'd be fun for you guys to post your glorious victories over little 'ol me. But if not, I certainly don't mind.

((Jaguar Warrior sneaks up behind ADG))

j/k of course....
Old October 15, 2002, 15:42   #63
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Buster13
I just thought it'd be fun for you guys to post your glorious victories over little 'ol me. But if not, I certainly don't mind.
It'll proberbly be me who goes down first anyway
Old October 15, 2002, 16:09   #64
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Map size: don't care

Max number of Human-Players: don't care

Number of AI Civs: NO

Babarians: Random

Accelerated production: Off

Victory condition: All on
Old October 16, 2002, 03:20   #65
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

I'm not sure if my vote counts or not, since I'm a reserve, but I suppose it doesn't hurt:

Map size: Standard

Max number of Human-Players: 6

Number of AI Civs: 0

Babarians: The standard option (restless?? I don't remember exactly what was the standard option)

Accelerated production: On

Victory condition: All on

Max time for sending the savegame: preferably ASAP, max. 1 day, in exceptional situations 2 days (with pre-notification and explanation)

Anything else random.
--Woody Allen
Old October 16, 2002, 03:49   #66
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

updated

btw: Tiberius, As far as we know, Europeans will get the PTW later, so being 'reserve' probably goes for all of us
PS: just a thought. It might be a good idea IF we get people playing from different timezones, too get the starting order "culturally linked".
This will make turns go faster IMO
Old October 16, 2002, 03:54   #67
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Good idea
--Woody Allen
Old October 16, 2002, 04:06   #68
Tiberius
Emperor

I just wanted to say that even if I'm not going to be in the first Apolyton PBEM game, count on me for future games and/or if somebody quit an ongoing game.

So should we impose a rule, that from the max. size of players only 50% should be allowed be from the same continent? (for ex. 3 Europians + 3 Americans; this could lead to some interesting alliances )
--Woody Allen
Old October 16, 2002, 06:12   #69
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by alva848
It might be a good idea IF we get people playing from different timezones, too get the starting order "culturally linked".
This will make turns go faster IMO
Good idea, though it's a little late for this game, since we already has the Max # of players (taken that 4/5 voted for Max 5 Human players), but would be something to think about for the future PBEM games...

Tiberius >> I'd say your vote counts, since you was among the first to join the game, even though you're not 100% sure you can be ready in time...
Old October 16, 2002, 06:36   #70
Tiberius
Emperor

Thanks.
--Woody Allen
Old October 19, 2002, 07:29   #71
Emma
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:15
i won't be in the first game eigther, because i won't get the game when it comes out in america. i'd love to be in an other game, say everything ramdom with cultur flipping.
i'll be getting DSL next month, which is great, because DSL allows me to have a flat rate, so i don't have to pay by the min. then!
but i think pbem will still be a favourite of mine, because i just don't have the time
hope amazon don't take ages to deliver it fromt the uk to germany. [stupid germans bring out their own version that isn't compatible with my uk version of civ 3 ]
(really sorry if this has already been asked before somewhere, but money and time still don't grow on trees, so i havn't got time to read all the posts:
but: will i be able to play my own civ. that i created myself when i play multiplayer?)
{it's not one anyone could object, too. it's based on england, same uu and same traits, just other city names and leader graphics}
Old October 19, 2002, 07:51   #72
alva
Deity

AFAIK that shouldn't be a problem.
It could be that in order to use your mod, you are the one who needs to set the game.

Too much info, not certain anymore of anything,aaaaarrgh
Old October 19, 2002, 08:39   #73
Emma
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:15
well, i suppose it wouldn't make any difference to my gameplay, i could just play england. i was going to give my civ a new UU but then i thought i'll wait till i've got ptw and see if there's some really easy way to do it .
Old October 19, 2002, 09:32   #74
WarpStorm
King

Based on experience from other PBEMs, the order and real life schedules of the players determines the turn around time. A little bit of planning as far as who is player 1, player 2, etc. can radically change the turn around time. It's not all geography. You need to find out (in GMT, for example) when a player is likely to play a turn and optimize the turn order around that. We were able to get a whole turn a day (most days) doing this.

Be prepared for delays. PBEM is a single point of failure system. One player going away for the weekend means that the game stalls for that weekend for everyone. It's going to happen, so don't be upset about it; you will be the one who stalls the game occasionally.

Have a backup plan for the "Lost Turn". This is where a turn gets lost forever due to the nature of e-mail. It happens. Everyone should keep the last turn around just in case.

The other major snag is the quitter. Sometimes a player has to quit out due to real life concerns. In other cases because they are a poor sport. In any case, you need a backup plan for that. Have another player be prepared to take over (and know the password). Any other option (say having the quitter retire) will radically change the balance of power that you may have been working with for months (yes, months).

Everyone should know the e-mail (and IM) of every other player. Diplomacy should be handled in the back channels so as not to slow down the game. Know what the trade deal is before iniating it in the game.
Old October 19, 2002, 09:50   #75
WarpStorm
King

Oh yeah, this is very important. If you are going to stall the game, let everyone know as soon as possible before hand.
Old October 19, 2002, 09:54   #76
WarpStorm
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Emma
but: will i be able to play my own civ. that i created myself when i play multiplayer?)
{it's not one anyone could object, too. it's based on england, same uu and same traits, just other city names and leader graphics}
Yes, if you host the game and everyone else has any custom resources (by this I mean art, animation, sound, and text files) that are unique to your mod.
Old October 19, 2002, 17:35   #77
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Re: PBEM, Anyone?
Quote:
Originally posted by alva848
VOTING
Map : random
Game mode : normal
Culture Flip : on
Randomseed : on
---------------------
Map size :
small : 2 votes
standard : 2 votes
random : 1 vote
----------------------
Max. Players :
5 : 3 votes
6 : 1 vote
don't care : 1 vote
-----------------------
AI :
NO : 4 votes
don't care : 1 vote
------------------------
Barbarians :
random : 4 votes
restless : 1 vote
-----------------------
Accelerated Production :
ON : 4 votes
OFF : 1 vote
Seems like we're agreed to everything...except for map size: 2 votes on small, 2 votes on standard...and one voting for don't care...I guess we'll need our "don't care" voter to vote for standard or small (or one of the others to "joing the other team")...

Thinking about it...I 'might' vote for small map...I'll take a few days thinking about it...
Old October 19, 2002, 17:38   #78
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by WarpStorm
Oh yeah, this is very important. If you are going to stall the game, let everyone know as soon as possible before hand.
Well...I believe the thing that make me stall the game mostly (From my side) is my internet connection...sometimes it's just gone for almost a day (Well...not all day, but the time of the day I can use the internet...)...and in such cases, I wont be able to say I'm going to stall the game until tomorow...or whenever my internetconnection gets back...
Old October 19, 2002, 17:40   #79
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by WarpStorm
Everyone should know the e-mail (and IM) of every other player. Diplomacy should be handled in the back channels so as not to slow down the game. Know what the trade deal is before iniating it in the game.
Does this mean, we should do the negotiation when it's not out turn, via e-mail? And then when it's the next players turn, he sets up the trading request?
Old October 19, 2002, 18:31   #80
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 05:15
Map: All random

Game Mode: Normal game

Culture Flip: On

Preserve Random Seed: On

Map size: Standard

Max number of Human-Players: 5

Number of AI Civs: Don't care

Babarians: Random

Accelerated production: Off

Victory condition: All
Old October 19, 2002, 18:56   #81
alva
Deity

ok, final results are on page 1(first post)

strange you voted for accelarated production, have you guys any experience with it?
Old October 19, 2002, 19:08   #82
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

hey let me join PBEM... if theres still room
Old October 19, 2002, 19:12   #83
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

Re: Accelerated Production

I have, and that's why I say no. It's, well, uh... interesting, to say the least.
Old October 20, 2002, 06:24   #84
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Calc II
hey let me join PBEM... if theres still room
Sorry, there's no more room in this game, but we can put you as reserve, if someone desides not to join the game afterall

Hey Alva848, do you put him in as a reserve?

Btw, accelerated production, isn't that were the AI has already played a few turns for all players before the game starts?
Old October 20, 2002, 06:48   #85
alva
Deity

Seeing that Calc is from the US, he has a very good chance of being in this game

Quote:
Btw, accelerated production, isn't that were the AI has already played a few turns for all players before the game starts?

No, it's more like constant golden age, well sort of. IIRC buildings/units,...etc cost only half of the normal shield production. tech is alot cheaper too.
This mode might be very good voor MP games, but I see no real reason for it in PBEM
Old October 20, 2002, 06:50   #86
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Ok, thanks for clearing that up...I'll change my vote now (so if you'll update the first post again...), should be set 'off'
Old October 20, 2002, 07:54   #87
alva
Deity

Good on you , that was the one option I didn't like and your vote swings it the other way
Old October 20, 2002, 07:57   #88
alva
Deity

It seems we got a tie on the 'accelerated production' option.

Any Ideas?
Old October 20, 2002, 07:59   #89
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Let's wait a few days, maybe one of the others realizes it wasn't what they think it is, so they skip over
Old October 20, 2002, 11:54   #90
Jon Shafer

Yes, to all those that voted for accelerated production... why? That will just shorten the amount of time you personally spend with the game (which is one turn... ). I don't really see the need for it, like alva said, very useful for MP, but PBEM it serves no real purpose.