Old October 12, 2002, 12:21   #1
CiverDan
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Lux InvictaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Roleplay
Prince

Local Time: 04:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Getting a whole bunch of tech after military victory
Last game I was playing on tiny map, 16 civs, diety, sedentary barbs (used mod with 16 civs on tiny, 1 turn/tech min and optimum cities x6 normal) played as Iroquois.

I played as Iroquois because of mounted warriors. I managed 2 cities initially before I ran outta room (AI takes all space real quickly here...). Then a German city to the North culture flipped to me (it was close to the other 2, The germans had 3 other cities South of me). I had Iron then but no horse..grr. French were near w/horse not connected. Took (last) city w/swords..got horse and mounted warriors.

Then I attacked smaller of the 3 french cities (after they declared war on me) with Mounted Warrior army and many other MW and swords. got two leaders early..one went to MW army other to herioc epic..all wonders were taken.

After this I wasnt I a position to fight for a while Finally a attacked the babs. By this time I was gettin behind on tech and needed to take city and sue for peace..But they already had musket and in industrial age while I was still in early middle ages. Nonetheless, I marshalled my MW army and a dozen knights and attacked their capital. Amazingly I got the city (w/Sistine & GL) MW army takes out muskets! definitely a good investment here on tiny map... When I got the city I suddenly learned all techs up to the start of industrial age!!!!. Has this happened to anyone before?.. was there a reason for this to happen????
Old October 12, 2002, 12:34   #2
jdd2007
NationStates
King

Local Time: 05:16
tiny maps are a blast to play. yes, a country thats getting whooped will tell all its secrets.

what i want to know, is how people can bargain for cities from a defeated nation. i have never been able to accomplish this.
Old October 12, 2002, 12:43   #3
Prince
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:16
You just learned the benefit of having the Great Library, congratulations!
Old October 13, 2002, 14:46   #4
Apolex
Warlord

Yeah, usually when I see that Rome, or Athens, etc. has built the Great Library...that city has a set of BIG RED CROSSHAIRS on it Wonder hunting is sometimes easier than building them myself, and more fun.
Old October 13, 2002, 15:33   #5
Sean
Prince

Local Time: 09:16
Yes, to make the point clear, it was the Great Library that supplied who with the techs. The GL gives the owner any tech owned by a certain number of other civs (I can't remember the exact number off hand).
Old October 13, 2002, 15:38   #6
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old October 13, 2002, 15:54   #7
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 09:16
I thought the great library gave you 1 tech discovered by two civs, and was made obsolete by Education....so he couldn't have gotten to industrial because you HAVE to discover education to move onto industrial, and education is one of the earlier techs.
Old October 13, 2002, 15:59   #8
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Well the GL requires that you make contact to get the tech and it can and has happened in industrial age to me. On emperior level on my own land mass, when I made contact with two civs one had Ed, I still get the techs and then the GL is obsolete. I would not get them (I think) if I researched ED before I made contact (not sure on this part).
Old October 13, 2002, 16:55   #9
Zero-Tau
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000
I thought the great library gave you 1 tech discovered by two civs, and was made obsolete by Education....so he couldn't have gotten to industrial because you HAVE to discover education to move onto industrial, and education is one of the earlier techs.
The trick is, the GL is made obsolete the turn after the turn you get Education. So on the turn he got the GL, he learns all techs that two other civs have. Since he gets Education, the GL is useless (culture aside) from the beginning of the next turn.
Old October 14, 2002, 01:20   #10
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Nathan Barclay had on of the best exhibits of this effect I'ver ever hear of, in AU 107.

Ready for this?

Bronze Working, Masonry, The Wheel, Ceremonial Burial, Iron Working, Mysticism, Mathematics, Philosophy, Code of Laws, Horseback Riding, Polytheism, Currency, The Republic, Monarchy, Construction, Monotheism, Feudalism, and Engineering.

WOO-HOO!! I think that's the most impressive thing I've seen outside of Aeson's SVC.

Admittedly, that's all pre-Education. Zero-Tau's comments are correct... you get ALL techs known to any two civs, no matter how advanced (including beyond Education), and then it's over.

Pretty powerful, when managed well... that's the trick.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old October 14, 2002, 17:54   #11
CiverDan
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Lux InvictaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Roleplay
Prince

Now I understand when I took the city, the GL works for me until the start of the next turn AFTER I discover education. since I hadn't discovered Education yet, even though the other civ had. So that allows me to get addition techs beyond education on that turn...funny how I get more techs from NOT having education when I capture the city.