Old October 13, 2002, 17:42   #1
Alexandr
Settler

Local Time: 12:19
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Proof-readers/translators are required!
Proof-readers/translators are required!
[to english-speaking persons]

There are some texts for this scenario; please, look through and correct if nessesary. I’ll be very much obliged to you!
Attached Files:
File Type: zip texts.zip (5.9 KB, 7 views)
Old October 13, 2002, 17:46   #2
Alexandr
Settler

With your help and support the 2nd edition (Final) of "Constantine vs. Artavasdos" will be
complete MUCH earlier.
Old October 13, 2002, 21:44   #3
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 05:19
^"Some people don't consider this heresy significant and are sympathetic to it; others think that it is more of a disagreement in opinions that a heresy. However, in my opinion, this heresy is extremely important and all right-thinking people will agree with me: it overthrows all the House-building of Christ. Also, we must remember one another thing: the founders of other heresies were bishops or priests, but this heresy is descended from emperors; other heresies developed and grew gradually, but this one was mighty from the beginning because it leaned on the emperors' authority".
^^"The Biography of St. Nikita, Father-Superior".
^
"In this battle, Armenians and theme Armeniak fought with army of themes Anatolik and Frakisian and multitudes fell on both sides. Primordial sower of evil, Satan, roused a rage so great between Christians that sons killed their fathers and brothers murdered their brothers without regret. Without mercy they commited to the flames each other's property.
^^Theophanes. "Chronography"

What's "House-building of Christ"?

Rebellious Artavasdos surprised the camp of Konstantin in Phrygia! Patrikios Visir and many other iconoclastic supporters of basileus were killed. Konstantin himself
escaped to Amorium in the Anatolik theme. There he trying to organize the defense with help of Lankin, stratigos of Anatolik.

City dimoi and eparhos salute the triumphant Emperor!

^The supporters of Artavasdos spread rumours in the capital of basileus being dead and Artavasdos being proclaimed the Emperor of Romans by the eastern themes. Credulous citizens proclaimed Artavasdos basileus and autocrator of Romans as an orthodox man and a defender of God's dogmates.
^Artavasdos cancelled all proclamations against the icons of saints and made generous dispensations of money
among the people.

^The fleet from Kybirreotes and the ships of the Frakisian stratigos Sisinnius won back the island! All the chelandions with food supplies were taken to Konstantin for the use of his army.
^Starvation in the capital resulted in citizens defecting to Konstantin.

^Konstantin's army blocked all the land accesses to the capital and repelled an attack by the besieged. The right hand of usurper, Theophan Monot, was killed in this short clash.
^Mutineer's son, Nikita, came to Chrysopolis with the remaining troops.

[gibberish]
^Konstantin liberated the capital and blinded Artavasdos' family. The victorious Basileus ton Romaion,
Konstantin, celebrated his triumph with hippodrome games.
^Glory to the holy Emperor (Emperor Saint?)! The usurper was thrown down, and the capital was strengthened inside and outside. Now, it's time to pacify the whole Roman Empire and to quell the greedy barbarians.

Neither of my two usual text-editors can handle the encoding of the first sentence.

Artavasdos and patrikios Vahtang were captured in an attempt to leave Konstantnopol (Constantinople?).

You might want to capitalise all of the titles.

Nikita was captured during in battle and paraded before the besieged capital.

^^COUNCIL OF WAR.
^"Let me, basileus, describe to you the present situation," stratigos Lankin started his speech, "the criminal Artavasdos fortified his positions in the capital. he is supported by theme Armeniak led by his son Nikita, part of theme Opsikion, and the small fleet of Crete. You have three themes devoted to you: Anatolik,
Kybirreotes and Frakisian. The forces are nearly equal...
^"One man of my tagma is worth more than all the Armenian rabble put together! - komit of basileus' excuvitors interrupted.
^Lankin payed no attention to this. He continued:
^"I think that we must make peace with Arabs for the moment. Then we need to get support of the other eastern themes, draw up forces to the walls of Chrysopolis and, move to the western bank with our army. Droungarios of Kybirreotes must conquer Crete to deprive the mutiners of support and foodstuffs. Then he could move to Konstantinopol
and block all the sea ways..."

Argh, there's a lot of text.
Old October 13, 2002, 22:13   #4
St Leo

Konstantin's army liberated Germanikea, his native city! Pavlikian heretics who lived there were relocated to the Roman-Bulgar border.

Mmm, ethnic cleansing.

Konstantin's army liberated Tefrika. Many Pavlikian heretics were moved to the Roman-Bulgar border.

Konstantin's army liberated Samosata. Many Pavlikians were moved to the Roman-Bulgar border.

Konstantin's army liberated Melitene. Many heretical Pavlikians were moved to the Roman-Bulgar border.

The Emperor has died in battle... and the hopes of imperia have died with him. Who could replace him?

"O, sunny island! Justinian lost it; Konstantin took it back."

Basileus was successful in the catching and taming of that wild monster! All people greet Konstantin's feat with admiration and words of glory; but evil tongues named Konstantin "The Boar".

Konstantin started persecution of icon worshippers and monks.
[gibberish]

My text editor can't handle that encoding. My browser probably could, so you should post a copy.

^"An infectious disease that started in Sicily and Calabria spread like wildfire in Monemvasia, Ellada, and the nearer islands during the 14th indiktion [744-45].
^In Constantinople this infection had the following symptoms. Unpredictably, little oily crosses started to appear on people's clothes and sacred robes. This created a great sorrow and confusion among the people. God's wrath was striking everyone without mercy. Many saw ghosts, unknown terrifying men, who on meeting them greeted them and spoke in a friendly manner. No one could remember what their interlocutors were actually talking about. These ghosts were coming into people's houses and impaling entire households. In the majority of cases, it did actually happen.
^[Theophanes. "Chronography" (in my modest translation)]

Right...

The Emperor summoned families from many regions to repopulate this province.

29 january 750
^Congratulations, basileus! It's the birth-day of your son and successor, Leo!

As a result of bloody civil wars in Caliphate, a new dynasty replaced the Umayyads.
Abdul-Abbas started to rule. He wasn't recognized in Andalusia. Khaliph's deputy in Spain, the son of the former ruler Hisham, proclaimed an independent Cordoban Emirate.

^^RUMOURS:
^A big white horse was seen near Konstantinople. No one was able to catch it!

By Constantine's order, the Council convened in the Hieria palace between Chrysopolis and Chalcedon. The 9 statements against icon-worshipping were enacted by it.

Do you prefer "Constantine" or "Konstantin"?

^Pepin and his sons, Carl and Charlemagne, were anointed by pope Stephan.

Khan Kormisosh was angered by the Emperor's refusal to pay tribute and declared war.

A conspiracy is afoot.

Arter a hard siege by the armies of Carl, Archon of Franks, Pavia, the last stronghold of Langobards,
has fallen. The Chief of Langobards, Desiderius, escaped to Konstantinopol.

The Emperor started his last campaign in Frakia. During this expedition he became ill; his soldiers transported him to Silimvria.
^14 Sept. 775
^Emperor of Romans, Constantine V Copronym died enroute to Constantinople.
Old October 14, 2002, 16:47   #5
Alexandr
Settler

!Thank You very much, Leo!

> What's "House-building of Christ"?

Oh, I don’t know English equvalent for this word. It’s complicated, many-sided theological term: «domostroitel’stvo» in Russian (which translated literally as «house-building», «home management» etc.), or «oikonomia» in Greek.
It’s appearance of God’s energeia in our world («ek patros, dia uiou, en agio pneumati»); it’s The Church of Christ and The St. Mysteries...(my knowledge, as my english, is too poor to explain this)
May be, it is possible to keep «oikonomia» in the text?..

> Neither of my two usual text-editors can handle the encoding of the first sentence.

Sorry, it’s non-translated fragment.

> My text editor can't handle that encoding. My browser probably could, so you should post a copy.

Here it is:
«The kaisar already showed his impiousity, and every way of piety became a subject to severe censure, and the life of pious and pleasing to God people became a subject of reviling and humiliation; the sacred estate of black clergy was persecuted especially terribly <...>» [Nicephor Patriarch]

«Pavlikian heretics who lived there were relocated to the Roman-Bulgar border».
> Mmm, ethnic cleansing.

No, it’s wise internal and foreign policy!
Old October 15, 2002, 18:37   #6
St Leo

May be, it is possible to keep «oikonomia» in the text?..

Unless you mean "manifestation", I would advise keeping the greek term.

Sorry, it’s non-translated fragment.

I do know some (basic) Russian. It just wasn't showing up in Cyrilic.

«The kaisar already showed his impiousity, and every way of piety became a subject to severe censure, and the life of pious and pleasing to God people became a subject of reviling and humiliation; the sacred estate of black clergy was persecuted especially terribly <...>» [Nicephor Patriarch]

"The Caesar had already shown his impiousness, and every way of piety became a subject to severe censure, and the life of pious and God-pleasing people became subject to reviling and humiliation; the sacred estate of the black clergy was persecuted especially terribly..."
- Nicephor Patriarch