Old October 14, 2002, 20:12   #91
Ned
King

Local Time: 01:19
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Al Qaida has now declared war on Australia. Will Australia surrender? Will Australia fight back?

Morbius has declared American the real enemy and has invoked appeasement of al Qaida as Australia’s response. It gives one a real cozy feeling that at least Morbius knows right from wrong, and is willing to invoke appeasement when necessary. Australia, in his view, should immediately severe all relations with the evil United States and crawl on its knees to the noble and good OBL and beg his forgiveness.

To everyone else in Australia, who do not share Morbius’ world view on right and wrong or good and evil, I know, if you ask, that the US will stand behind you in its upcoming war against al Qaida in Indonesia. I hope that the government of Indonesia will cooperate. If they don’t, they should fall like the Taliban.
Old October 14, 2002, 20:33   #92
Lung
King

Local Time: 19:19
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
To everyone else in Australia, who do not share Morbius’ world view on right and wrong or good and evil, I know, if you ask, that the US will stand behind you in its upcoming war against al Qaida in Indonesia. I hope that the government of Indonesia will cooperate. If they don’t, they should fall like the Taliban.
Oh, wouldn't that be wonderful Soeharto was a complete bastard, Wahid was senile, and Megawati is a *****, but could you imagine an Islamic fundamentalist (i.e. wacko) government in Indonesia?

Al Qaeda is beyond reasoning with, as the core of their hatred of everyone else is due to no more than everyone else being different. They should all be hunted down and shot. The problem is in limiting such actions to those responsible, as when innocents get caught in the witchhunt, the hatred expands beyond the fanatics to more moderate peoples. This is why any action must be specific, but of course the real problem is finding those responsible. That said, an all-out attack on Iraq is likely to give reason to those who otherwise have none.
Old October 14, 2002, 20:48   #93
Ned
King

Lung, there will be no war in Iraq if Saddam complies with the UN. If he fails to comply, the UN will authorize the use of force - this means the whole world will have declared war on Iraq, not just the US.

The war on Iraq, if it comes, is not about fundamentalist Islam. It is about a ruthless dictator who has conducted aggressive war and who had defied the UN.

When the war is concluded, a moderate coalition Muslim government will emerge in Iraq. This government will be decidedly pro-West, and give the lie to those Muslims who seek to analogize the attack to some Western anti-Islam crusade.

Because of it losses, Australia deserves to lead the attack on al Qaida in Indonesia. As I said, the United States and probably the UK will support you.
Old October 14, 2002, 20:49   #94
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 05:19
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Lung, there will be no war in Iraq if Saddam complies with the UN. If he fails to comply, the UN will authorize the use of force
That's an interesting crystal ball you've got there.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old October 14, 2002, 21:00   #95
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Frogger

That's an interesting crystal ball you've got there.
Just my prediction on what will happen. My reasoning is as follows:

France, China and Russia know that if they do not support a new, "tough," resolution, the United States will declare war on Iraq without the UN. This will have been the second time this has happend in the last three years - first Kosovo and then Iraq. Whether the UN SC will have any credibilty after that is doubtful. It can issue resolutions to anyone and everyone without effect because when push comes to shove, the UN simply will not authorize force. Thus, the three have no real choice but to enforce the sanctions in a meaningful way.

This brings us to Saddam. Will he comply or will he defy?

I for one, predict he will comply, or at least, appear to comply. He is like a cat. He always seems to land on his feet despite being in the most dire predicaments.

But if he defies the UN, the UN will then authorize force. This seems a forgone conclusion once the first resolution concerning a new inspection regime is passed.
Old October 14, 2002, 22:26   #96
Lung
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
When the war is concluded, a moderate coalition Muslim government will emerge in Iraq. This government will be decidedly pro-West, and give the lie to those Muslims who seek to analogize the attack to some Western anti-Islam crusade.
This one's an even bigger crystal ball! Ned, you never told me you had crystal balls

Certainly it is the desired outcome, but who's to say fundamentalists won't take advantage of the situation to take control of any government seemingly put in place by Washington?

And d'uh! I never said that another US-Iraq war was a forgone conclusion. In fact, such a scenario is entirely separate to the issue of the war on terror. As much as i would love to see Saddam strung up with piano wire (i can be a bastard, too), i can't get away from the niggling thought that this is just a diversion from the failure to catch OBL. That said, Afghanistan seems to be overall a success I just hope it all works out for the Afghanis in the end
Old October 15, 2002, 00:34   #97
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Quote:
I for one, predict he will comply
He'll pretend to comply, but won't really comply. Then the UN will talk Bush out of having a war.
Old October 15, 2002, 00:57   #98
Ned
King

Mr. President, Now that really is wishful thinking. Congress has spoken, and the Pres. has an obligation to demilitarize Iraq.
Old October 15, 2002, 01:26   #99
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

I'm just pessimistic.
Old October 15, 2002, 08:16   #100
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Latest Australian death toll: 30 confirmed dead, over 180 presumed dead.

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old October 15, 2002, 10:21   #101
Docfeelgood
Emperor

Local Time: 04:19

Im at a loss for words......

Then again if I do speak my mind some toad out there will be offended and............

Fvck'em!

Kill all them fvcking ragheads

Now the ethics police will step in.......
Old October 15, 2002, 10:26   #102
Docfeelgood
Emperor

I find it disgusting that as humans we claim to be the most intellegent species on this planet and cannot even trust each other.

GOD have mercy on those human killers

Rot in hell goat ****ers.
Old October 15, 2002, 10:29   #103
Docfeelgood
Emperor

Hmmm...

Anybody wanna guess who the toad is going to be?

Australia! I feel for ya!

I'm really saddened by all this sh!t!
Old October 15, 2002, 10:44   #104
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 02:19
Quote:
Originally posted by Docfeelgood
Kill all them fvcking ragheads
Nothing is lamer than someone who thinks he's cool by uttering racist calls for genocide...
Old October 15, 2002, 11:18   #105
Docfeelgood
Emperor

Quote:
Nothing is lamer than someone who thinks he's cool by uttering racist calls for genocide...

Whoa! sure did not take long for that toad to croke

cool?
NO
but it makes me feel better even if it is just uttering
Old October 15, 2002, 11:20   #106
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
but it makes me feel better even if it is just uttering
Well, that just speaks volumes for your character then.
Old October 15, 2002, 11:27   #107
Docfeelgood
Emperor

Im just wondering?

How long have you been having these wantings to be other people's consciouse?

Ya know? There is now medication you can take for this condition.
Old October 15, 2002, 11:40   #108
Gangerolf
Prince

Local Time: 10:19
two indonesian men were arrested today
Old October 15, 2002, 12:14   #109
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
Im just wondering?

How long have you been having these wantings to be other people's consciouse?

Ya know? There is now medication you can take for this condition.
You make a racist remark, your consciouse [sp] becomes fair game. I have several Muslim friends, and I found your remark offensive and hateful. Keep in mind the vast majority of Muslims are innocent in this matter. That is, if the perpetrators are even Muslims, which we don't know yet. I won't tolerate people referring to my friends with slurs like "raghead."

If someone said "Kill all Kikes!" that would be pretty offensive, now wouldn't it?
Old October 15, 2002, 12:26   #110
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Doc, if anybody here needs meds, it's you.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old October 15, 2002, 17:32   #111
MattyBoy
Prince

Just drop it, Doc.
You probably mean it lightly, but this thread is about the victims of stupid hatred like that, so it's far from funny in this context.
Old October 15, 2002, 18:39   #112
Alexander's Horse
Deity

Quote:

Australia! I feel for ya!

I'm really saddened by all this sh!t!
Thanks Doc

Old October 15, 2002, 18:44   #113
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

The freaky thing is that the latest eyewitness of the Washington are sniper describes him as middle eastern.
Old October 15, 2002, 18:53   #114
Alexander's Horse
Deity

War-like injuries use up skin-graft stocks
By Ruth Pollard, Health Writer
October 16 2002

The "war-like" injuries suffered in the Bali bombings have exhausted Australia's supply of bio-engineered skin used to treat badly burned patients.

Peter Haertsch, the director of Concord Hospital's burn injury unit, said two "horribly injured young people" had arrived yesterday. One of them, a young woman from Victoria, had burns to 80 per cent of her body.

"When the first two arrived ... it was evident we were dealing with burn injuries the likes of which we have never seen here before," Dr Haertsch said. "They were the sort of thing you would only see in a war-like situation."

The second patient, a Brisbane man, was operated on yesterday and a third patient with less serious injuries was also treated.

A hospital spokesman said six more people were admitted after arriving on a RAAF Hercules in Sydney last night. Their condition was unknown.

It was obvious the two seriously injured patients had not received medical treatment in "the golden hour" - the first hour after injury, Dr Haertsch said.

During this time "there is a tremendous outpouring of body fluid ... unless they received treatment in that hour the kidneys start to shut down and they go into renal failure", he said.

The two young patients at Concord had experienced blast injuries and "horrible, penetrating wounds" from wood, shrapnel and tin. These wounds were contaminated, and their thermo-regulatory system had shut down.

"I've not seen this combination of injuries - it's something you wouldn't see in civilian life and something I haven't seen in 22 years of burns surgery," Dr Haertsch said.

The Concord team hopes to complete most of the burns surgery by Friday, although for some patients this will go on for weeks.

"Because of the extent of the injuries with at least one of the patients, we will not be able to graft with their own skin," Dr Haertsch said.

Instead, the team will use a revolutionary form of bio-engineered skin, made from neo-natal foreskins, which provides coverage of the wound after the burned skin has been excised.

"We have ordered a significant number of sets - I am told we have exhausted the Australian supply, some of which has also gone to Perth and Adelaide."

They will also use available unburned skin for grafting, and will grow patients' skin in a lab. Dr Haertsch rated the patients' chances of survival as "hopeful".

Of the six people admitted to St George Hospital in Sydney on Monday, a 23-year-old woman from Victoria with serious burns and shrapnel injuries was released yesterday and flown to Melbourne for treatment.

Those remaining in hospital are: a 15-year-old female from NSW; a 23-year male from Queensland; a 22-year-old male, an 18-year-old female and a 23-year-old male from Victoria. A hospital spokeswoman said all were in a satisfactory condition.

A 32-year-old woman from Sydney's southern suburbs is still in Royal North Shore Hospital in a serious but stable condition.

In total, 86 injured people had been airlifted from Bali by last night. Only seven remained in Darwin, with the rest sent on to other capital city hospitals.

Old October 15, 2002, 19:01   #115
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Why are there still so many missing? Do they think that there are alot of unidentifiable bodies or is there a problem with communications?
Old October 15, 2002, 19:17   #116
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
Why are there still so many missing?
Aparently many of the bodies are burned beyond recognition
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old October 15, 2002, 19:25   #117
Ned
King

Does Australia have the death penalty? I assume if they locate the al Qaida base, Australia will want capture and prosecute any who survive the gunbattle. It would be a shame if all the Aussie's could do is incarcerate the mass murderers for next sixty years at taxpayer expense. Makes one want to simply assure that there are no prisoneres in the first place.
Old October 15, 2002, 19:26   #118
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
The freaky thing is that the latest eyewitness of the Washington are sniper describes him as middle eastern.
You got to be kidding. All along here we have been assuming this a sick lunatic. al Qaida?
Old October 15, 2002, 19:28   #119
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

He still could be. Being Arabic doesn't preclude you from being a serial killer.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old October 15, 2002, 19:42   #120
finbar
Civilization II MultiplayerMac
Emperor

Local Time: 11:19
Quote:
Originally posted by Case

Aparently many of the bodies are burned beyond recognition
Some would also simply have been vaporised. A convoy of cabs was bringing a footy team to the club. The first cab had pulled up outside the club and the guys had just climbed out as the car bomb exploded beside them.