Old October 14, 2002, 11:15   #1
Pandemoniak
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 09:21
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Location: of Xanadu, Scottish Section of the Apolyton Must Crush Capitalism Party
High corruption problem : please help
Hi everyone, Im a newbie here on Civ3, and I have many questions about corruptions : I find my empire awfully weak compared to what it should be (maybe I just misjudge, Im used to SMAC where corruption can be easily dealt by setting a good efficiency and oh whatever...)

You can find my save attached.

Please help me to deal with all these evil corruption and waste
Attached Files:
File Type: zip elizabeth.zip (108.0 KB, 2 views)
Old October 14, 2002, 11:16   #2
Pandemoniak
King

Location: of Xanadu, Scottish Section of the Apolyton Must Crush Capitalism Party
The level is the easiest one, playing on standard map.
Old October 14, 2002, 11:35   #3
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Local Time: 05:21
Corruption in Civ3 is higher than what it was in SMAC.

Make sure that you build courthouses, police stations, and that you have your Forbidden Palace as far as possible from your Palace. Get out of Despotism. Read the corruption FAQ to get an idea of what else affects corruption and how to combat it.
Old October 14, 2002, 16:50   #4
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I started to look at the map, but every time I ask the advisor about the unit strength of China, the game crashes to the desktop. Did you modify the map? That is often what cause the crashes. I did see that a lot lot of cities had no mines in them. I did not look carefully at all cities before I got bounced, but I only saw one that had most of the tiles with mines. cities that are to build wonders need mines on nealry all worked tiles to get the most shileds possible. You have to keep a close eye on unhappiness in those cities to prevent any disorder and loss of production when making a wonder. A city with 6-8 more shileds each turn will do a lot of building. I am not fond of going to democracy early in a game as you will likely have too many wars for that form of government, I prefer republic and head straight for it most of the time. That way I only have to switch once. You have missed out on a ton of shileds after all of these years in size 12 city, that will be doing a lot of building, that cost you.
Old October 14, 2002, 17:02   #5
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

One other thing noticed was that some tiles had mines that could not even be worked, this is a sign of automated workers. It is best to control them to prevent them from spending time and resources working tiles that are not needed at the time. You will be at size 12 or less for a long time, so many tiles can not be worked and should not be improved, other than to connect them by roads, if that makes sense at the time. May need a few more workers to have gotten the mines in on time, I did not look at that aspect. At chief, you can out produce the AI, if you expand as you should, mine and build infrastructure. The AI is going to let its workers waste time and improve tiles for no reason and not make infrastructure improvements in a timely manner. Savings can be made in research priority as well. Hold back on the paths for the forms of government that you are not going to use right away, get to the next age. If you get the GL you can get those techs for free, if not buy them cheaply after every one has them or research at a 4 turn rate, instead of 10 or more.
Old October 14, 2002, 23:11   #6
JohnM2433
Warlord

Local Time: 01:21
alexman, I've been meaning to ask you: Does everything your thread on corruption says also apply to waste? The term "corruption" is often used to refer to both lost sheilds and lost commerce, but I'm not sure that you ever clarified that that was the case there. Just wanted to make sure.
Old October 15, 2002, 06:05   #7
Pandemoniak
King

thankx vmxa1
Old October 15, 2002, 12:04   #8
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnM2433
Does everything your thread on corruption says also apply to waste? The term "corruption" is often used to refer to both lost sheilds and lost commerce, but I'm not sure that you ever clarified that that was the case there.
Everything that applies to corruption, applies also to waste. However, not everything that applies to waste, applies to corruption (i.e. the WLTKD bonus).
Old October 15, 2002, 13:09   #9
MoonWolf
Prince

Local Time: 10:21
Or do like me: Modify the game to produce less corruption!
Old October 25, 2002, 02:51   #10
bbaws
Warlord

Pandemoniak if you haven't already have a look at the thread about palace and forbidden palace placement. Big impact on corruption and waste.