Old October 16, 2002, 10:06   #1
PrinceBimz
Prince

Local Time: 03:26
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Defensive units for pillaging fun
Sometimes its better to just tear down an enemy slowly instead of trying to capture their cities. If I am at war with a nation somewhat stronger then me, I will build lots of defense units in my frontal cities. When they come at the city and attack, hopefully they will lose many of their attacking units in turns. If I have enough units in the city, over time I will gradually start moving them out and into the enemy territory. I will basically setup a wall of infantry and just keep moving them in, slowly. All the while I am pillaging one improvement after another. Next thing I know, those big cities are becoming small and starving. Then I will be able to relax as the enemy now has to fight my D units and can no longer attack my cities. If those enemy cities are around mountain or hill terrains it will really be effective because my units will be even harder to destroy.
Old October 16, 2002, 11:39   #2
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 05:26
When playing the Aztecs, I keep all of my JWs around for the entire game just to conduct extensive pillaging campaigns. Not only does it work, but it's really fun to see a half-dozen Jags hide behind an Infantry's back, leaping to and fro every so often to cause havoc. Fun fun.

Dominae
Old October 16, 2002, 12:27   #3
Jawa Jocky
Prince

Local Time: 01:26
I personally like the 3 movement units for pillaging. MI doesn't really make calvary obsolete
Old October 17, 2002, 05:28   #4
Barchan
Warlord

Local Time: 09:26
Nothing beats the defensive army/explorer combo for denuding your enemy's countryside. The army slowly plods along while the explorers fan out -- two spaces out, pillage, then back to the army -- and quickly strip the terrain bare of all improvements. I'll bet this'll be even more effective with the new guerilla units PTW will have.
Old October 17, 2002, 10:24   #5
punkbass2000
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameApolyton UniversityCivilization III PBEM
King

Local Time: 05:26
This is one of the few strats that I believe will increase in value during MP. I think two evenly matched humans would be quite likely to begin this sort of campaign, and I wouldn't be surprised if it tipped the scales of what would otherwise be a stalemate.
Old October 17, 2002, 20:52   #6
Hail Caesar!
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:26
I personally find pillaging to be a nuisance, and I rarely do it, unless it's a strategic resource within range, and I haven't built an offensive army yet. I like to capture cities more or less intact, if possible.

What I find even more irksome is when I'm allied with, say, England, and the only thing the Queen has to offer in support of my conquest of, say, the Aztecs, is a bunch of Ironclads in the late Industrial Age, who tear up the roads along the coastline that I'm trying to capture, thus impeding my mobility (I like to capture a few cities per turn).