Old October 16, 2002, 22:19   #1
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 05:28
Local Date: November 1, 2010
1-Tile Road Suggestions?
For my Napoleonic Wars scenario, I've figured out a way to make cities to produce unique units on a city-by-city basis, but I had to delete the usage of regular roads. Now, to produce the effects of roads I had to convert jungle terrain into a new terrain type that looks identical to grassland. However, I need some way to individualize the 'road' grassland tiles from the 'non-road' grassland tiles, but I can only use one graphic, unlike the linking graphic set that is normally used. I've attached an example of what I'm using now (which sucks, for the most part, when you see it on the map over and over and over again), but I want to replace it with a better looking one, so if anyone has suggestions on what I could replace the graphic with, please don't hesitate. (the pink is transparent, don't worry about it)
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	roaddemo.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	1.4 KB
ID:	27134  
Old October 16, 2002, 22:39   #2
Carver
Prince

Local Time: 03:28
Me have no suggestions, but that sounds like some hard core modding you're doing. You may wanna put this over in the creation forum.
Old October 16, 2002, 22:56   #3
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

I already have 3 or so threads about my scenario over there. This isn't technically a creation question, so it's still legal here, and I just want suggestions, I don't really need help or asking how to do something.

And yes, I've had to do quite a bit to make things work the way I want them too. It should (hopefully) be a great scenario in the end thanks to all the hard work.
Old October 17, 2002, 00:51   #4
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 02:28
Another (ugly) choice of graphic would be to have roads, accessing all 8 tiles (possibly not reaching the tile edge); or ...

a translucent (if possible) of a different shade, covering the whole tile; or ...

a reduced-size tile, brown or gray in color, 1/2 to 2/3 the size of an actual tile, possibly with a brick pattern.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old October 17, 2002, 07:47   #5
Todd Hawks
Prince

Local Time: 10:28
How about a bunch of very very thin roads? Not just one in each direction but some kind of road network on the tile itself.

Of course this won't look that great as well, but I don't think there is a way to make roads with only one tile. Either you put a small symbol on it like you did or you change the whole tile by shading it or putting something like the road network on it. Either way it won't look very good.

Edit: Another idea: Some kind of little signpost or obelisk.
Old October 17, 2002, 08:00   #6
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 11:28
i real life, roads are more than just the connection between two cities... you've got a whole network.

if i weren't such a loser in graphics, i'd try to make something that gets into all corners and sides, and make each tile a bit spiderweb-like... aw... difficult to explain...
Old October 17, 2002, 08:12   #7
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

oh well... i gave it a try.

i've attached a possible version of my idea. the nice thing is, that the roads on each edge don't need to be centred, but unfortunatly the corners must be reached.

of course the colour is too dark now, i did it like that, so the green can be filtered out if for whatever reason you might want to use this

edit: damn, without those corners it wouldn't be so bad after all. maybe a different colour for the N/S-road?
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	road on grassland.gif
Views:	185
Size:	3.4 KB
ID:	27165  
Old October 17, 2002, 11:26   #8
Jon Shafer

That's not a bad idea at all, I'll play around a bit with the 'inter-linking' road network thing. Kind of reminds me of 4th grade art class.
Old October 17, 2002, 11:42   #9
sabrewolf
Emperor

hey, don't make fun of my lousy art qualities
Old April 19, 2004, 13:32   #10
sabrewolf
Emperor

trip, did you ever find a solution to this?
Old April 19, 2004, 19:07   #11
Patashu
Warlord

Local Time: 19:28
Try thickening the roads a bit.
Old April 20, 2004, 10:17   #12
jomateix
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:28
Why not this: Hilly grassland is not "walkable", flat grassland yes.