Old October 17, 2002, 08:59   #1
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 02:29
Local Date: November 1, 2010
a shooter is just a shooter... unless it's JEDI KNIGHT
I don't like shooter's generally. i play a little Duke Nukem now and then, but I just am not enough of an afficcianado of the genre to appreciate the advances of later shooters. I played the half life demo, and was not impressed.

But I still love the original Jedi Knight, and have just finished the demo for Jedi Outcast. some of the coolest stuff I've seen in a long while. my daughter and I laughed hysterically when I force pushed a stormtrooper off a ledge.

I may have to get this game someday, if it gets cheap, and if I ever finish the original Jedi Knight

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn
Old October 17, 2002, 10:19   #2
Thrawn05
King

Local Time: 04:29
JKII Sucked IMHO. Too much scripted events and not enough replay value. It's also littered with bugs and when I went to the JKII forums asking for help on how to get the game working, a Raven programmer told me to go away, get more RAM, then come back, go away again and get even more RAM.

That kind of additute does not fly with me. The single player MP mod was horrible. The Quake 3 bots were a lot smarter, these guys litteraly try to walk into the walls.

I wish programmers would stop making games that are littered with Scripted events at least. I'm tired of seeing the same officer walking around the corner every friggin time.

I returned it the next day, I got better things to spend on with the $50 LucasArts stole from me. I can't believe they are starting to make crappy games.

JK DF2 had a lot more replay value in SP. Try disabling the AI, go towards the end of the level, and play backwards. Lots of fun.
Old October 17, 2002, 23:44   #3
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 19:29
I was dissapointed by JK 2 as well. Despite not having particularly great graphics or an unusually complex game engine, it runs at snails pace on my mid-range computer. When fighting the 'bosses' I have to put god mode on as reloading quicksave games takes several minutes!

BTW Father Beast, have you played Half Life? IMO it's a good compramise between Duke Nukem and JK.
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old October 18, 2002, 08:07   #4
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 02:29
Quote:
Originally posted by Case

BTW Father Beast, have you played Half Life? IMO it's a good compramise between Duke Nukem and JK.
I have played the half life demo, and was not impressed. I'd rather play Duke Nukem.

That was the point. you shooter fans may think JKII sucks because of your shooter expectations, while I enjoy it (at least the demo) even though I'm a non shooter fan. same with the original. doom and quake and unreal are all blah, and always were. but Jedi Knight was fun. and Duke somehow sucked me in, too

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn
Old October 18, 2002, 11:25   #5
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 10:29
JK2 didn't impress me much, but I am getting very hard to impress these days.

If you want shooters they have come along a lot since the duke nukem days. Half-life + addons and Blue shift, AVP2 and even MOH (slightly different genre) are all worth checking out........and all better then JK2 IMO.

But it sounds to me like you would prefer games such as System Shock 2 and Deus Ex, which have shooting in conjunction with a solid story and a small RPG element.
Old October 18, 2002, 19:00   #6
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 01:29
personally i am back to playing wolfenstein 3-d lol
Old October 18, 2002, 20:12   #7
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpike
AVP2 and even MOH (slightly different genre) are all worth checking out........and all better then JK2 IMO
I strongly disagree. AvP2 is loaded with what I hate the most, Scripted events.

Stick with AvPGE. Lot more SP replay value.... AND CO-OP.
Old October 18, 2002, 20:14   #8
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by War4ever
personally i am back to playing wolfenstein 3-d lol
W3D is always a classic fav. And some of games me and my friend made had easter eggs from that game. Such as a hidden room with a nazi stormtropper bitmap dude in it. :b
Old October 26, 2002, 14:53   #9
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 05:29
Nothing beats the original Dark Forces. NOTHING.
Albert Speer
Old October 26, 2002, 17:47   #10
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by monolith94
Nothing beats the original Dark Forces. NOTHING.

Amen!

There is nothing like playing the last level from finish to start with ONLY a pistal and a death wish.