Old October 18, 2002, 04:43   #1
TacticalGrace
Prince

Local Time: 09:32
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Time line
I'm playing on regent and I'm finding now that I'm making discoveries much earlier than they were historically made (e.g. I've got infantry in 1100AD). The AI players are slightly behind (they have nationalism)

This is becoming a common feature of the games I have played in Regent buit I'm pretty sure that when I played on the (even) easier levels this didn't happen (no infantry till late 19th/early 20th Century)

Can anyone explain this? Should I be playing on a higher level or is the higher level what is causing it (higher AI research rates->more tech which I blackmail for)

I have made some modifications to the rules but only to later-game unit stats (reduced cav to move 2, lethal bombers vs naval, wheeled tanks) so I can't see this having any effect.
Old October 18, 2002, 05:42   #2
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 11:32
the higher the level, the faster tech will progress. The same goes for the number of players.
Old October 18, 2002, 05:42   #3
Nym
Prince

Local Time: 10:32
Re: Time line
Quote:
Originally posted by TacticalGrace
Should I be playing on a higher level or is the higher level what is causing it (higher AI research rates->more tech which I blackmail for).
That is the correct explanation. The higher the level is, the higher the AI research rates are and the sooner advances are discovered. This effect is increased by the number of civs and exchanges between them.
Old October 18, 2002, 05:45   #4
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

You need the learn to type faster Nym
Old October 18, 2002, 06:14   #5
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Well, I am not sure if what alva and Nym say is 100% correct - I agree that more civs mean faster progress, but I doubt that AIs would invest more gold into the scientific research on higher levels.

Since the 1.29f patch, the research costs (I am confused a bit by the research "rates" mentioned in the previous posts... IMHO, these should be difficulty level independent) have been adjusted in such a way that they are constant for the AI across the difficulty levels. What gets changed are the research costs of the human player... that change was supposed (and later confirmed) to put the timeline closer to the historical reality.
Old October 18, 2002, 06:49   #6
TacticalGrace
Prince

Local Time: 09:32
doesn't the max research rate of 1 discovery per 4 turns apply to the AI ?
Old October 18, 2002, 09:02   #7
miccofl
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 04:32
Ignore the year and think more in terms of "years since start" besides in most cases you are on a different world from the one we all live on. So why would the timeline be the same?
Old October 18, 2002, 09:23   #8
Nym
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by alva848
You need the learn to type faster Nym
May be. But I had problems with my browser: the Return key did not work any more. I had to restart my browser, and so, of course, I lost a few seconds...
Old October 18, 2002, 09:26   #9
Nym
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by miccofl
Ignore the year and think more in terms of "years since start" besides in most cases you are on a different world from the one we all live on. So why would the timeline be the same?
That is one of the reasons I proposed in an old thread to change the date system and make it begin in year 1. After all, that is the way it was during the Roman Republic.
Old October 18, 2002, 09:36   #10
Nym
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by vondrack
Well, I am not sure if what alva and Nym say is 100% correct - I agree that more civs mean faster progress, but I doubt that AIs would invest more gold into the scientific research on higher levels.

Since the 1.29f patch, the research costs (I am confused a bit by the research "rates" mentioned in the previous posts... IMHO, these should be difficulty level independent) have been adjusted in such a way that they are constant for the AI across the difficulty levels. What gets changed are the research costs of the human player... that change was supposed (and later confirmed) to put the timeline closer to the historical reality.
I think your are correct. The AI do probably not increase its invests in research in higher levels, but it is clear that it makes researchs faster than the human player. Furthermore I have remarked that tech exchanges would happen more and more easily in higher levesl between AIs than between AIs and the human player.
Old October 18, 2002, 10:22   #11
DeepO
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Well, don't forget the AIs have building bonusses on higher levels, which means they have more libraries and universities than on lower levels. So even if the last patch does not give research bonusses to the AI on higher levels, their research is indirectly speeded up...

DeepO
Old October 18, 2002, 10:23   #12
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 04:32
What size map and how many AI players do you play with?
Old October 18, 2002, 10:24   #13
DeepO
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Last few games have been on huge maps and 16 civs.... but was this question directed to me?

DeepO
Old October 18, 2002, 11:50   #14
alva
Deity

Lang gezien dat ik U nog geleden heb

Taking a break from the 'courts of...'??

ot: Set up a game with just one AI, you'll notice the difference in tech progress, you'll probably will be playing with swordsmen in 2050
Old October 18, 2002, 13:38   #15
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 05:32
TacticalGrace, consider that another reason is that you are now a more skilled player. If you were to play on the lower level, you would likely make progress sooner than you use to.
Old October 19, 2002, 06:11   #16
DeepO
Emperor

well... not really taking a break from Candle'Bre, but I admit that it has taken too much time the past few months... Civ was pushed to the background 'cause of it. But CB is such fun, I can't help it

DeepO