Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 10:33
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by The Vagabond

It seems to me the following configuration works out nicely:

A has 2 red stamps; B -- 1 red and 1 green stamps; C -- 2 green stamps. (Or else, A has 2 green stamps while C has 2 red stamps.)
That can't be right...

When A says "no", that reveals to B that he is not GG, and therefore must have at least one R.

B can only see two Rs, therefore says "no". This reveals to C that he can not have a red. Else B would have seen 3Rs and known that he was GR and would have said "yes".

Knowing that he can't be RR or RG, C says "Yes" - he is GG

Still working on the answer...
Old November 26, 2002, 10:59   #482
One_Brow
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:33
Quote:
Quote:
We have A:Sagace, B:Vaga, and C:ZTau 3 logicians and friends.

Ming The Moderator takes a set of 8 stamps, 4 red and 4 green, known to the logicians, and loosely affixes two to the forehead of each logician so that each logician can see all the other stamps except those 2 in the moderator's pocket and the two on her own head. He asks them in turn if they know the colors of their own stamps: A: "No" B: "No" C: "No" A: "No B: "Yes"
What are the colors of her stamps, and what is the situation?
It seems to me the following configuration works out nicely:

A has 2 red stamps; B -- 1 red and 1 green stamps; C -- 2 green stamps. (Or else, A has 2 green stamps while C has 2 red stamps.)
Actually, it cold be any configuration where B has one stamp of each color.

Notation: (RR) RG RG GG refers to two reds in the pocket, one each on A, one each on B, two greens on C.

There are 21 total possible combinations.

A no: Eliminate (RR) RR GG GG, (GG) GG RR RR
B no: Eliminate (RR) GG RR GG, (GG) RR GG RR
C no: Eliminate (RR) GG GG RR, (GG) RR RR GG,
(RG) RR GG RG, (RG) GG RR RG (since if he had two of one color, A or B would have said "yes")
Note we have elimiated all cases where both A and B have two stamps of the same color.
A no: Eliminate all cases where B has two stamps of same color, since that would mean A has RG.

All of the following combinations are still possible with the given information after A's second no:
(RR) RG RG GG
(RR) GG RG RG
(RG) RR RG GG
(RG) RG RG RG
(RG) GG RG RR
(GG) RG RG RR
(GG) RR RG RG
Old November 26, 2002, 11:10   #483
One_Brow
Chieftain

Quote:
A car smashes into the tree. The driver gets out, looks around, and says: "How great it's halved! Otherwise I'd be dead now".

Question: What did he mean?

Disclaimer: Don't take it too seriously. It's half joke.
Two idea, but neither seems to be a half-joke.

1) The tree was sliced vertically and half ofit removed. The driver's section struch where half the tree should have been.

2) It was a very narrow, reinforced tree. Instead of stopping the car, it split the car in two. Since the driver wasn't wearing his seat belt, he would have been killed if the cr had been stopped completely.
Old November 26, 2002, 11:24   #484
Dauphin
Deity

On the joke angle, I figured it had something to do with his car insurance and it "killing him" to pay for repairs if he didn't have the insurance.
Old November 26, 2002, 11:43   #485
Zero-Tau
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin

That can't be right...

When A says "no", that reveals to B that he is not GG, and therefore must have at least one R.

B can only see two Rs, therefore says "no". This reveals to C that he can not have a red. Else B would have seen 3Rs and known that he was GR and would have said "yes".

Bad logic here. When A says no, B learns that he is not GG. However, because C does not know what he himself has, he cannot know that B is aware that he isn't GG. So C cannot exclude GR as a possibility for himself.

One_Brow: Yep, all the combinations you listed are possible after A's second "no", but not in all of them is it possible for B to figure out his own stamp immediately afterwards. That would be a further reduction of the number of combinations.
Old November 26, 2002, 12:31   #486
One_Brow
Chieftain

Zero-Tau,

The key is that when C says "no", both A and B know that at least one of them, perhpas both, is RG. On any combination where both A and B are uni-color, either A or B will know the answer or C will determine that he is RG. Since A does not know for sure that A is RG, B can not be uni-color, and so knows that he is RG.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin

That can't be right...

I assume you are referring to the case
(RG) RR RG GG.

A says no: B knows he has a red. C does not know that B knows he has a red. C knows he could be RG or GG. C does not know the difference between:

(GG) RR RG RG
(RG) RR RG GG

If the first case were true, B would not know that B had a red, for B would still see (RG) RR GG RG as a possibiltiy, and could not choose between that and the actual distribution.
Old November 26, 2002, 14:21   #487
LulThyme

One Brow is right...
All the configuration with B having RG and only those are right.
Whats interesting, is that if I told you in the problem that the solution for B exists and is unique, you could have guessed immediatly that it is RG, because by symmetry, if B has RR, then if we switch all the red and greens, it could guess GG.
Now Ill leave you a few hour to make a new one...
I dont mind posting more, though then I cant answer them and in a way I feel this has become Lul's Brain Teaser Thread
(Of course I dont mind going on, if you guys like those, just tell me if I should raise the level of diff or lower, or ask more a certain kind of question, I like to ask questions I believe anyone can answer, not just those with a math or other training.)

Old November 26, 2002, 14:55   #488
Dauphin
Deity

I've got one, that requires a bit of British Rail knowledge...

Which British train station is furthest from the area that it is named after?
Old November 26, 2002, 15:35   #489
Paul Hanson
King

Waterloo?

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.
Old November 26, 2002, 15:43   #490
Dauphin
Deity

Old November 26, 2002, 17:19   #491
Zero-Tau
Chieftain

Mmm.. time for a new one.

Take a look at the chess position below. It is white's turn. What were the last 5 moves?
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	chess.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	30165  
Old November 26, 2002, 17:50   #492
Dauphin
Deity

If black moved last, all I can say is that he didn't move his king, and unless the board is being deceptive he didn't move either of those pawns.

I guess the board is being deceptive by making you think that black started at the top as we see it.
Old November 26, 2002, 17:58   #493
Zero-Tau
Chieftain

Black did start at the top, and he did move his king last. Yes, it is possible (albeit tricky).
Old November 26, 2002, 18:01   #494
Dauphin
Deity

En Passant?
Old November 26, 2002, 18:03   #495
Zero-Tau
Chieftain

Yep. Now you should be able to figure out the rest.
Old November 26, 2002, 18:28   #496
Dauphin
Deity

In order of play..

Black Nb8-a6
White Nc5xa6
Black c7-c5
White b5xc6 (en passant)
Black Kb5xa5
Old November 26, 2002, 18:34   #497
Zero-Tau
Chieftain

Correct.
Old November 26, 2002, 19:27   #498
The Vagabond
Prince

Great reasoning with all those Rs and Gs, One_Brow
Nice chess problem, Zero-Tau , and nice solution, Sagacious

What is fun with the problem of car smashing into a tree is to read all those guesses. Nobody is close for the moment. Should I tell the answer yet, before this thread is closed?

On the other hand, let me mention that the car/tree problem actually belongs to the class of so-called "group puzzles". It works as follows. A quizmaster formulates a puzzle. The puzzle is meant to be weird and not solvable without additional information. A good puzzle of this kind should also sound intriguing . Then a group of players (it can actually be just one person, but it's more fun with a group) starts to ask questions. But only the questions that can be answered "yes" or "no" are allowed. It's quizmaster's responsibility to provide noncontradictory answers as far as the essence of the puzzle is concerned. However, contradictory answers and even misleading improvisations are allowed if he is asked unessential questions. It's up to the players to formulate their questions in such a neat way that they can get to the solution ASAP.
Old November 26, 2002, 22:11   #499
The Vagabond
Prince

OK, before this thread is closed and sinks into oblivion, let me give the answer to this one:

Quote:
A car smashes into the tree. The driver gets out, looks around, and says: "How great it's halved! Otherwise I'd be dead now".

Question: What did he mean?

Disclaimer: Don't take it too seriously. It's half joke.
He meant mv^2 in the expression for the kinetic energy E=mv^2/2. Indeed, if there were no factor 1/2, his kinetic energy would be twice larger, and he could well end up killed.
Old November 27, 2002, 01:53   #500
LulThyme

Sorry vaga, I dont like it...
Not that it makes me mad I just dont find it too funny...
Maybe because I study in math i dunno...
My first thought upon reading it was "even that formula is not unique". For example we could have m'=m\2 and then E=vm' so the joke doesnt even make sense...
Maybe my explanation makes no sense I just find it is too far-fetched to be still funny...

Old November 27, 2002, 01:58   #501
LulThyme

Ok next one:
What is the smallest number of coins that you can't make a dollar with? For what N does there not exist a set of N coins adding up to a dollar? It is possible to make a dollar with 1 current U.S. coin (a Susan B. Anthony), 2 coins (2 fifty cent pieces), 3 coins (2 quarters and a fifty cent piece), etc. It is not possible to make exactly a dollar with 101 coins.

Old November 27, 2002, 04:54   #502
Dauphin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by LulThyme
Ok next one:
What is the smallest number of coins that you can't make a dollar with?
Ermm, none I would guess. You can't make a dollar with no coins.

Quote:
For what N does there not exist a set of N coins adding up to a dollar? It is possible to make a dollar with 1 current U.S. coin (a Susan B. Anthony), 2 coins (2 fifty cent pieces), 3 coins (2 quarters and a fifty cent piece), etc. It is not possible to make exactly a dollar with 101 coins.
Can you clarify what denominations we are working with. I don't remember the US having 50cent coins.
Old November 27, 2002, 09:26   #503
One_Brow
Chieftain

Recently, has been an Eisenhower dollar, an Anthony dollar, and now a Sacajawea dollar.

John F. Kennedy was on the mostr recent 50-cent peice.

The denominations are: 1, 5, 10, 25, 50, 100

The answer is 77 coins. It's farily easy to get to 20 without pennies. After that, you can use a combination of pennies, nickels, and dimes to get all the way to 76 (70 pennies and 6 nickels). 77 requires the use of 75 pennies, and there are no two coins to make up the remining 25 cents.

My turn again:

There is a unusual planet that has only six people, three men (Ron, George, and Bill) and three women (Barb, Nancy, Hilary). Each of the men likes to "visit" each of the women, and vice-versa. Since they don't like to meet each other when they go visiting, and since the planet is not very large (yet sufficiently dense that it maintains an atmosphere, has no hills and valleys, and can't be tunneled), they were able to contruct on the surface one path to lead exclusively from each man's home to each woman's home (or vice-versa). To be clear, there is a path from Ron's House to Barb's house which does intersect any other path, another to Nancy's house, and seven paths.

What is another unusual fact about this planet?

Last edited by One_Brow; November 27, 2002 at 09:32.
Old November 27, 2002, 09:47   #504
Ignorance
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:33
Planet is not spherical, it's donut shaped.
"In some of its more lunatic aspects, political correctness is merely ridiculous. But in the thinking behind it, there is something more sinister which is shown by the fact that already there are certain areas and topics where freedom of speech, in the sense of the right to open and frank discussion, is being gradually but significantly eroded." -- Judge Neil Denison
Old November 27, 2002, 14:27   #505
One_Brow
Chieftain

Since Ignorance hasn't posted another, I'll go again:

As we all know, standard Tic-Tac-Toe (3x3) ends in a draw if both sides make the best plays.

If you expand the playing field to (4x3), the first player always wins.

Let's now expand the game to 4-in-a-row. For the sake of ease, the grid sizes must be different by no more than one (so 3x3 and 3x4 allowed, not 3x5).

What is the largest grid size in which the second player can force a tie in a game of four-in-a-row?
Old November 27, 2002, 15:11   #506
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 04:33
Sorry guys... past 500 posts, time for a new thread.