Old October 18, 2002, 15:56   #31
Winston
Emperor

Local Time: 11:33
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Then he could also be 51, or 52, or... you know, old.

Shouldn't that last piece of information have been ""but I'll only tell you that my oldest child is exactly such and such younger than you"?
Old October 18, 2002, 16:06   #32
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

Local Time: 05:33
Quote:
Originally posted by Winston
Well, I looked it up...

If you have another teaser for us, I don't see any harm in posting, since Zero-Tau apparently isn't.
I don't have any, and I think the only one i've gotten so far was that hour glass riddle. Oh well, maybe I'm not as smart as I thought. But of course the fact that no one is telling them correctly and leaving out information doesn't help either, hehe.

I don't know what to make of this Prof. Jones one. I'm thinking something critical is left out.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old October 18, 2002, 16:14   #33
DaShi
Emperor

Local Time: 09:33
Quote:
Originally posted by Stefu

Dammit! I know I screwed it up somehow. In original version, I think, the gnomes didn't know how many blue and red hats were there.

However, the right answer's close to this (First one gnome stands somewhere, then another gnome checks the first gnome's hat and goes stand... Oh, wait, I just remembered I screwed the question up in more ways than one. Blast. I'm not really good at this, am I?)

Anyway, Winston gets to go next for his sanguine (Do I even know what that means?) and intelligent opinion which we all should strive to remember at all times.
Stefu, that was bloody brilliant!
Old October 18, 2002, 16:54   #34
N. Machiavelli
Prince

Local Time: 10:33
Quote:
Originally posted by Zero-Tau
Yay! The Danes will conquer the thread!

...now where the hell did ADG go...

Okay, here's the brain teaser, for all of you.

One day when professor Jones is going for a walk, he meets his old friend, maths teacher Smith. Smith has been married twice, and now has three children.
"Say, " asks Jones, "how old are your children?"
Smith answers: "Well, since you like puzzles, you can think a bit about this. The product of their age is 2450, and the sum of their age is equal to the age of our mutual friend, vicar Anderson."
Jones knows the age of Anderson, and with this in mind, he sets about working out the age of the children.
Late that night, Jones calls Smith and says: "That really wasn't nice of you. You know very well that I need one more piece of information to work out the ages."
"Yes," Smith answers, "but I'll only tell you that my oldest child is younger than you." And then he hung up.
With this information, Jones could work out the ages of the children.

Now, here's the question for you: How old is professor Jones?

Yessir, that's no typo, it really says professor Jones!

Edit: Winston, be patient.
Now if we had a link between Jones' and anyone else's age (other than OldestChildsage < Jonesage), there'd be a more concrete answer. Otherwise I'll guess:

Child1: 25
Child2: 14
Child3: 7
Anderson: 46
Jones: 26 or older
Old October 18, 2002, 17:01   #35
Zero-Tau
Chieftain

To everyone: There's nothing left out of the riddle. It can be solved using only the information I've given you.

But anyway, a hint: Remember that even knowing the sum of the ages, Jones can't solve the problem. Anderson can't be 46 years old, as Machiavelli suggested, because then Jones would have solved the problem. But he didn't.

Hope this helps.
Old October 18, 2002, 17:18   #36
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 04:33
First you must factor 2450. It breaks down into 1x2x5x5x7x7. Combining these numbers to make 3 ages reveals 20 different combinations: (1 1 2450), (1 2 1225), blah blah blah. Now Jones obviously knows the Vicar's age but can't figure out the ages of the children. This implies that two sets of factors add up to the same value. The sets (5 10 49) and (7 7 50) both have a sum of 64.
When Smith reveals that Jones is older than all of the children, that's the final piece of information needed. If Jones was 51 or older we would not be able to figure out which set of factors is correct, so he must be 50 years old and the children's ages must be 5, 10, and 49.

Nasty.
Old October 18, 2002, 17:18   #37
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Jones: 50
Child1: 49
Child2: 10
Child3: 5
Anderson: 64

Please no-one get this before me.
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old October 18, 2002, 17:20   #38
Zero-Tau
Chieftain

Rah got it first. By less than a minute. Bad luck, stefu.

Go ahead, rah, your turn.

Quote:
Nasty.
Old October 18, 2002, 17:20   #39
rah
lifer
Just another peon

RAH
Old October 18, 2002, 17:20   #40
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Goddamn you rah! God damn you!

Well, I get the moral victory, because I'm younger than you!

(I would have probably got it before rah if I hadn't bothered to write that part about no-one getting it before me...)

My chain of logic was that Jones must obviously be struggling with two choices, where the age of the oldest child is separated by an year (so there's only one answer.) After that, it was only a matter of experimentation until I found 49 and 50, and after that, it was easy.
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old October 18, 2002, 17:23   #41
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

@ Stefu
Old October 18, 2002, 17:23   #42
N. Machiavelli
Prince

Nice 1 Rah.
Old October 18, 2002, 17:27   #43
rah
lifer
Just another peon

There are five houses, all in a row.
You are standing in front of the houses.
Each house has its own unique color.
All house owners are of different nationalities.
They all have different pets.
They all drink different drinks.
They all smoke different cigarettes.
The Englishman lives in the red house.
The Swede has a dog.
The Dane drinks Tea.
The green house is directly to the left of the white house.
In the green house they drink coffee.
The man who smokes Pall Mall has Birds.
In the yellow house they smoke dunhill.
In the middle house they drink Milk.
The Norwegian lives in the first house.
The man who smokes Blend, lives in the house next to the house with cats.
In the house next to the house with the Horse, they smoke Dunhill.
The mak who smokes Blue Master drinks Beer.
The German smokes Prince.
The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
They drink water in the house that is next to the house where they smoke
Blend.

So, who owns the camel?
Old October 18, 2002, 17:29   #44
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Hey, waittaminute!

Quote:
How old is professor Jones?
Quote:
He's fifty
I WIN! I WIN!
Old October 18, 2002, 17:31   #45
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 12:33
Quote:
Well, I get the moral victory, because I'm younger than you!
Rah wrote a longer reply and still got ahead of you
Old October 18, 2002, 17:31   #46
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Quote:
Originally posted by rah

so he must be 50 years old and the children's ages must be 5, 10, and 49.

Nasty.

Nice try.
Old October 18, 2002, 17:58   #47
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
So, who owns the camel?
The German, in the White house on the far right. He/she also drinks water.
Old October 18, 2002, 17:58   #48
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

First house: Yellow, Norwegian, Water, Dunhill, cats
Second house: Blue, Dane, Tea, Blend, Horse
Third house: Red, Englishman, Milk, Pall Mall, birds
Fourth house: Green, German, Coffee, Prince, (camel)
Fifth house: White, Swede, Beer, Blue Master, dog
Old October 18, 2002, 18:03   #49
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

And my this answer:

Quote:
He's fifty, because I once knew one half-insane person, and he was only 25!
...which is correct, though the logic is bit woozy (I confess nothing!) was well before rah's.
Old October 18, 2002, 18:04   #50
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Oh crap, I forgot that the Dane drinks tea. I had the Norwegian drinking it.
Old October 18, 2002, 18:06   #51
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Oh, you get to submit the next one, loin. I'm too tired.
Old October 18, 2002, 18:07   #52
rah
lifer
Just another peon

This test was given by the German Institute of Logical Thinking in Berlin
1981. The failure rate was 98%.

The 98% failure rate bothers me, since a pure guess should be right 20% of the time and the fact that the study was given by Germans and the answer is Germans should have made that a logical guess and raised the guess percentage.

House 1 House 2 House 3 House 4 House 5
Norwegian Dane Englishman German Swede
Water Tea Milk Coffee Beer
Yellow Blue Red Green White
Dunhill Blend Pall Malls Prince Blue Master
Cat Horse Bird XXXXX Dogs

HAHAHAHA Loin got the German part right, by just the margin that I beat Stefu before.

But since Loin missed on the extra info he provided, (mistake) I declare Stefu the winner for the complete answer. You're good, it took me longer than you took to figure it out originally.

Your turn Stefu, congrats.

RAH

Yes your guess of 50 was before mine, but similar to my decision against Loin. I was the winner of that one
Old October 18, 2002, 18:09   #53
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Dammitalltohell, I had a riddle all worked up, and now I forget it, so here's an easy one instead...

More beautiful than the face of your God,
Yet more wicked than the Devil's forked tongue.
Dead men eat me all the time,
Live men who eat me die slowly.
Old October 18, 2002, 18:09   #54
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
I declare Stefu the winner for the complete answer. You're good, it took me longer than you took to figure it out originally.
Well, you just got to apply a little methodology - and pen'n'paper (notepad in this case) - and you can solve any of these (well, the ones which have solutions, anyhoo)
Old October 18, 2002, 18:10   #55
Tuberski

I was on my way, made on incorrect mark and blew my train of thought.

I was almost there.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old October 18, 2002, 18:12   #56
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Well, you just got to apply a little methodology - and pen'n'paper (notepad in this case) - and you can solve any of these (well, the ones which have solutions, anyhoo)
They had a ton of these on the Analytic portion of the GRE's, but they provided a lot of extraneous data that had to be sifted out. Made it a real pain in the ass.
Old October 18, 2002, 18:12   #57
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Quote:

I used pen'n'paper for that one too. But being part german, I had to make a real NEAT grid to help me solve it. It took me almost an hour, where you took less than 30 minutes. If someone had posted it in less than 15 minutes, I would have declared cheat, that they must have seen it already or looked it up on the internet..
Old October 18, 2002, 18:19   #58
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by loinburger
More beautiful than the face of your God,
Yet more wicked than the Devil's forked tongue.
Dead men eat me all the time,
Live men who eat me die slowly.
Words?
Old October 18, 2002, 18:20   #59
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Nope
Old October 18, 2002, 18:23   #60
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Wutang... cheese?