Old October 18, 2002, 19:11   #1
ducki
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 03:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Ducki went Regent... How'm I doin'?
Ok, I've moved on from the game in the FP+Palace Placement thread, tried my favorite Civ on Warlord, got into a drawn-out Horsemen v. Bowmen war with Bismarck, but got in a commanding position, so....

I decided to try my hand a Regent.
Regent, Small, Respawn OFF, everything else Default.
As Egypt again, hoping for some cultural/happiness advantage instead of my favorites.

Here's the start position. With .SAV and progress to 320 AD to follow.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	startingposition_sm.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	27315  
Old October 18, 2002, 19:13   #2
ducki
King

Boy, talk about lucky!
I did move SE one square to be coastal, but wow!
2 Game, Hills, Shielded Grass, AND a River! Whee!

Here's the save.
Attached Files:
File Type: sav egypt_start_4000bc.sav (46.8 KB, 13 views)
Old October 18, 2002, 19:18   #3
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 05:34
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
BTW, check the two coastal tiles where the river delta lets out... I can;t tell from the screenie, but often one of them will generate 2 extra gold.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old October 18, 2002, 19:20   #4
ducki
King

I didn't think my luck would stay so strong, but on my first goody hut, I found a settler, and nearby Ivory - 3 of them.

With a cow. And rivers. And Hills and Mountains.

I was a bit unsure where to place this settler. I wanted the cow for early growth, but I also wanted the ivory.
But I also wanted a half-a** defensible site. I very nearly followed the warrior over to the goody hut for placement 1 square South of the SE Ivory, but opted for less defensible immediate growth... and less corruption.

Could it possibly get any better? One more screen, questions, and a save in the next post.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	hutsettler_wheretoplace_sm.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	27317  
Old October 18, 2002, 19:29   #5
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Local Time: 10:34
Having a settler so soon is definitely a huge advantage- don't waste it, build as many settlers as you can and fill the whole place with cities
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old October 18, 2002, 19:32   #6
ducki
King

And now, 320 AD
I really wish Alexandria and Giza weren't so far away, but I had to really hustle to beat the Romans to those spots. I had to move MUCH faster than I'm used to, so my infrastructure is suffering. My tile development is sub-par, but I DID get the Library, Pyramids and I _think_ the Lighthouse(I forget, really).

Now, I need to decide where to put the FP and Palace for future development. Corruption is killing me in the North.

Also, Greece and Rome finally got tired of waiting and wandered through my lands to settle on the big chunk to my SouthWest. I really should have done it, but I was working on the Library and Colossus and Lighthouse(I think I accidentally built the Pyramids on that one as a prebuild, causing my Golden Age, which ensured the Library).

I'm pretty sure I can flip Hispalis and the other one that's hiding behind the minimap...Memphis is insane.
Both Memphis and Thebes actually gave me problems early on...I could NOT keep the population low enough to stay happy...they grew so fast that I could have done nothing but settlers and workers and spearmen, but I always get lured away by Wonders....

Anyway!
I'm thinking Pi-Rameses for the FP, as you should see in the screenshot.
Once I start fighting, I'm looking at Antium for my new Palace.

Neither one is "centered", but this continent isn't symmetrical, either.
I don't have much of a military, 2 or 3 Chariots, 3 or 4 Swordsmen, average 1.5 Spearmen per town, I think.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Critiques?
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	fpplacement_sm.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	27319  
Old October 18, 2002, 19:35   #7
ducki
King

Here's the SAV from 320 AD for anyone that likes to look at other people's games. Also it will allow you to see how badly I bungled the Southwestern "subcontinent".

I was just too hung up on the Lighthouse and the Library, especially with only 2 other Civs on my continent.

Also, I'm hoping I can out-culture Pompeii and Neapolis to flip them and make the FP even more useful.

If not, I guess I'll take them the hard way, but not until Knights, probably. Horsemen vs. Legions doesn't sound very promising.
Attached Files:
Old October 18, 2002, 20:30   #8
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

ducki, too bad you did not prevent Rome from getting a settler behind you. With the found settler, you could have gotten your first grown setter to a town down where the FP is going up. The not allowing any roman units to roam past your borders, there by keeping the land back there yours to back fill once you bumbed up to their cities.
Old October 18, 2002, 20:56   #9
ducki
King

Oh, I think you misunderstand, vmxa1.

The Romans and Greeks plodded through my settled lands, past Alexandria, past Pi-Rameses, past Memphis.

I tied up two pairs of them with 3 units on that little isthmus with wheat next to Alexandria, moving one in and out of their way for several turns, until it got tedious.

I really was too enamored with the Library and Lighthouse and culture/temples/courthouses/barracks to stop them. I just got too involved in building and not enough with settling. I also despise unproductive cities, so I was saving that. Plus, while they churned out settler/warrior pairs, I cranked out 2 or 3 wonders.

I'm positive I can flip or take Hispalis very easily once I build up my military.

It's a learning experience, and I appreciate the input.
Keep it coming, I just wanted to clarify that those towns only settled in the last several turns, not in the "early" game so far.
Old October 18, 2002, 21:28   #10
ducki
King

Besides, there's room down there for 6 or more cities, easily.
Old October 18, 2002, 23:23   #11
vmxa1
Deity

Ducki, what I was saying would not be impact by any of that. The first settler you created, Could have been sent to where the the FP is going up. Once the first culture bump occured, you should have had culture all across the land there and the AI would have stayed out and never learned about the land behind it. You could have grown as you did and not had to worry about flip the city. I would say it could flip, or not or it could be a very long time. That city is a staging area that can be used against you. Anyway, all I wanted to do was point out a tactic that I have used to keep the AI out of chunks of unsettled land, of course you must not trade maps. You can use it or not.

Last edited by vmxa1; October 18, 2002 at 23:31.
Old October 19, 2002, 01:40   #12
ducki
King

Oh, I see. Yes, they did explore that in ancient times.

It was _I_ who misunderstood. Thanks for the clarification on that.

Hispalis did flip, by the way. I found India, China, and Japan. I'm worried about India and China, as they are larger than I am. Hopefully they'll beat up on each other.

Thanks again, more screens and savs later on.

P.S. Now I see why FP placement is so important. Suddenly Alexandria and Giza are productive powerhouses.
Old October 19, 2002, 02:58   #13
vmxa1
Deity

cool
Old October 19, 2002, 14:10   #14
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 04:34
looks like you have a Roman city hidden behind the minimap on your last screenshot. You really should settle this land before they can use it against you. If your culture is good (you gotta love the Egyptians' cheap temples!), you might be able to flip it before it gets too big.

--Kon--
Old October 19, 2002, 14:34   #15
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
ducki, I can see at least 4-5 sites in your existing territory where I would lay down towns... cheap temples, and you become a culture / financial monster.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old October 19, 2002, 14:39   #16
ducki
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Konquest02
looks like you have a Roman city hidden behind the minimap on your last screenshot. You really should settle this land before they can use it against you. If your culture is good (you gotta love the Egyptians' cheap temples!), you might be able to flip it before it gets too big.

--Kon--
Yes, there's a Roman town there, and 3 Greek towns further down.

Well, there WAS a Roman town, it's mine now.
Screenie and SAV coming up.
Old October 19, 2002, 14:41   #17
ducki
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
ducki, I can see at least 4-5 sites in your existing territory where I would lay down towns... cheap temples, and you become a culture / financial monster.
There's one desert tile nearly in the middle of the map I WAS going to settle, but (again) I got caught up in the arms and wonder race and just never got around to it.

Once I post my post-Roman war screenshot and save, I'd love to hear where you'd drop towns, considering current FP placement and current and planned Palace placement.

Here's the save, screen on next post.
Attached Files:
Old October 19, 2002, 15:18   #18
ducki
King

A few turns before Chivalry came through on the Library, I moved all my horsemen to barracks towns and waited.

The same turn I got Chivalry, I upgraded everyone to Knights(about 12 or 18), upgraded border towns to Musketmen and declared war on Caesar. Hispalis flipped, the town behind the minimap mentioned by Konqueror fell a bit less easily than expected, and I picked up my future Palace site and two other cities.

I think I need a town on that peninsula to the west, just south of Rome and maybe one in the desert between Thebes and the inland sea.

But I'm currently at war with Alex - he wanted some of the Roman towns, I guess, and trespassed and wouldn't leave. /sigh An evil overlord's work is never done.

Planning to move Palace to Veii once culture is a bit better OR I get 2 leaders. I used one to rush Sistine and leave Greece with a huge shield loss. Now I need an army for the Epic and a leader for the palace build.

What do you guys think? And where, besides south of Cumae should I drop a city? (I forgot I already took Rome.)
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	1305ad_beatuprome_warwithgreece.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	27366  
Old October 19, 2002, 16:12   #19
vmxa1
Deity

It does not matter to me if you do or do not put a city there. I say that because as long as my border covers the ground, no one is going to be settling there. A city would not be required, unless you care about the score. I would just be for 1- eliminate Rome so the cities of theirs I have will never revert or complain. 2- get rid of all greek cities except the ones on the top of the land mass. Those, I may let slide to prevent WW. I do not want them behind me or on my flanks.
With those two done, you can concentrate your force on the last Greek border.
Old October 19, 2002, 16:35   #20
ducki
King

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
It does not matter to me if you do or do not put a city there. I say that because as long as my border covers the ground, no one is going to be settling there. A city would not be required, unless you care about the score. I would just be for 1- eliminate Rome so the cities of theirs I have will never revert or complain. 2- get rid of all greek cities except the ones on the top of the land mass. Those, I may let slide to prevent WW. I do not want them behind me or on my flanks.
With those two done, you can concentrate your force on the last Greek border.
Great stuff, vmxa1, thanks!

I originally hoped to wipe out Rome, but I underestimated the size of the force required and the quickness with which War Weariness overtook my citizens...which is why I had to satisfy myself with 5 conquered cities and one "flipped" city.... for now.

Greece had Archers and Bowmen wandering around my newly acquired cities, enough that I started to worry...so I demanded he leave or fight. He chose to fight, so now I'm stuck in a second war. Fortunately, HE declared, so War Weariness shouldn't be such a big deal, right?

Also, this gives me a chance to take those cities on my flank and gives me something to produce until another tech comes along. My core(s) are unbelievably productive, so I hope to have them fully developed by the time I move my Palace to the North...I dread the loss of the productivity of Thebes and Heliopolis.

Anyway, you were definitely right about those cities being a staging area...fortunately, Greece is missing something for Knights - Horses, I think, and in my Roman War, I disconnected Rome's Horses and a luxury - they are badly crippled, I think.

Greece, however, is still rather strong. Hopefully I can end this war and take my SW peninsula quickly, before there are too many Musketman defenders.

Thanks again for the insights, keep 'em comin', guys!
Old October 19, 2002, 19:09   #21
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 11:34
You are still playing below your level IMO

move up
Old October 19, 2002, 20:01   #22
vmxa1
Deity

Before I was dragged off to the mall and luhch, I played some of the game. Grabbed those Greek cities on the edges and the first big one the NE. I saw horses, but they were not hooked up. Will accept peace after the last flanking Greek city goes down. Upgrading to cannons. You are correct to take a breather for WW. That is what I would do next and then try to get Rome to come after me.
Old October 19, 2002, 20:47   #23
ducki
King

I think those horses you saw are the ex-Roman horses I pillaged. Or maybe I'm thinking of different horses.

And as soon as I get Metallurgy, I'll build more cannon and not worry so much about musketmen.

Thanks for taking a look at it!

And alva, this is my very first Regent game. I've yet to play a game truly to completion - I play a lot to where I am sure I'll win. Or until I'm sure I'll lose. Either way, this is going to the end no matter what. I have to finish a game, dammit!

And then I'll try my favorite Civ on Regent. THEN maybe I'll move up.
Old October 19, 2002, 22:43   #24
vmxa1
Deity

Yeah, they were next to Antium, the NE city I mentioned and are now in the city culture. Rome is gone. 1525 Physic is 3 turns and that is the only tech the AI has for a lead. Calv walked over Rome, the last city on an island did not even have a defender. Lib and Uni going up, so stick a fork in it. You were in fine shape.
Old October 20, 2002, 03:45   #25
ducki
King

Hehe, I'm still a little worried about India, but I'll deal with them when the time comes.

Here's another save.
I've caught up with India and China techwise by going for Steam and trading that for Nationalism.

I've had a Second Roman War and a Second Greek War, cleared up that problem to my SW and trimmed Greek some more. Rome is a single city on an island and I can't be bothered to wipe him out just yet.

I'm working on an IronWorks in Giza and am 2/3 of the way done building my palace. Only having 2 leaders is hurting, and I've been "careful" with my elites, they just aren't producing.

Anyway, here's the latest save for anyone interested.
Forgot to take a screenshot, sorry. Things are going well, now I just have to build railroads over the top of my roads, I guess.

Attached Files:
File Type: sav egypt_1615ad_ironworks.sav (143.6 KB, 4 views)
Old October 20, 2002, 08:14   #26
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Ducki, I had a quick look at your IROnworks.save.

1. No need for medicine yet, IMO you've should have gone for industrialization(factories). and you are prebuilding on several locations , so you can easily take womens suffragettes and the other wonders (even without leaders)

2. No one has rifleman yet, so this is the time to hurt the AI or even to take them out. Get rid of the Romans, the Greeks and get a foothold in the other continent by terminating the japanese

3. build a few more workers(some of your cities are beginning the get maxed-out anyway(size 12)). Get those RR going(don't sell this tech btw)
Old October 20, 2002, 08:15   #27
alva
Deity

You know what, I 'm gonna play your game and see what happens.
Old October 20, 2002, 12:16   #28
ducki
King

Quote:
Originally posted by alva848
Ducki, I had a quick look at your IROnworks.save.

1. No need for medicine yet, IMO you've should have gone for industrialization(factories). and you are prebuilding on several locations , so you can easily take womens suffragettes and the other wonders (even without leaders)
I was beelining for Electronics. Ghandi's been out-researching me in a bad way all game. I only just got parity at the end of Middle Ages when I bumped my research, built Copernicus, and went for Steam.
Quote:
2. No one has rifleman yet, so this is the time to hurt the AI or even to take them out. Get rid of the Romans, the Greeks and get a foothold in the other continent by terminating the japanese
I only just sued Greece for Peace, Weariness was killing me on taking the lower portion of my continent and denying the horses. I'll have to wait a little while to war again, other than to destroy Caesar.
Quote:
3. build a few more workers(some of your cities are beginning the get maxed-out anyway(size 12)). Get those RR going(don't sell this tech btw)
More than the "horde" I have now? That seems like an awful lot of workers.

And it's too late...I traded Steam for Nationalism and 100 gold or so - I wanted Rifles and mobility, because I think Mao is preparing to invade me - he offered me 87 GPT for Steam when he only had 80 in the bank.

On the building of rail...is it better to build one big long rail from North to South, connecting cities to the central rail along the way, or to play Connect-the-Dots with my cities?

Or should I connect AND develop a city as I go, and then move on to the next one?

Thanks in advance, and I hope you enjoy the game! I'm just glad someone's even looking at them, much less actually wanting to play..

I'd be curious to see how your game turned out different from mine from 4000BC, but I don't expect anyone to spend that much time "just to see".

Thanks again!
Old October 20, 2002, 12:24   #29
alva
Deity

forget the worker suggestion , didn't spot all of them first time around.

some other things though:
1. you really don't need universities in a size 4 city
2. the palace you're building is it for the FP? , because it has no market, library, ...
3. don't use the buildcue to much, you need to evaluate and reevaluate often, until your more then strong enough.
4. more micromanagement
5. you really don't need all the luxuries in the world. your core cities don't gain all that much being in WLTK. But you're helping your competitors too much this way. don't spoill them too much

I played for about 10-15 turns
Old October 20, 2002, 12:31   #30
alva
Deity

here is my save,

btw: evil overlord???
Attached Files: