Old October 19, 2002, 02:50   #1
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 05:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
A Way to Make Navies More Useful
Well... partially.

In my mod/scenario, I've created a new resource called 'trade', which goes on coastal tiles. Generates 10 commerce, or so. When you go to war, you (or the AI) can just sit naval units on top of the resource, and bang, that's -10 commerce for every tile he sits on. While it may not work exactly as it should, it's still a better representation than the current system. And there's no way to counter it without your own navy. The only problem I see with this is how it might skew commerce values a bit (imagine a nation with 10+ trade tiles early in the game ).
Old October 19, 2002, 03:16   #2
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Local Time: 04:35
How about making it so any ship with an attack power thats in the city radius makes it so all coastal/sea tiles for that are unusable. It would devastate coastal citys and certainly make people do more then just send workers over to repair whatever you bombard.
Old October 19, 2002, 03:19   #3
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 05:35
Yes, but, we can't do that...
Old October 19, 2002, 04:06   #4
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Oh yeah, i'm an idiot. Thinking of new ideas rather then just trying to work with what we've got, heh. That might be a good way to go about it, so long as it doesn't give too much of an advantage. Tradtionally coastal citys are usually pretty prosperous anyway, wish we could link the 10 to commerce to when they got the harbor, not before hand so small vishing villages don't get it.
Old October 19, 2002, 05:04   #5
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 02:35
To have a Trade resource every 2-3 tiles of coast (instead of EVERY coastal tile)...
It would be quite valuable, even if a harbor wasn't there yet.
Even without the Trade resource, putting a ship on an opponent's Fish resource can often cost them alot.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old October 19, 2002, 05:41   #6
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 11:35
Quote:
The only problem I see with this is how it might skew commerce values a bit (imagine a nation with 10+ trade tiles early in the game ).

What if You make it so that harbors are prerequisite in order for the resourse to show up (maybe even later)
Old October 19, 2002, 05:59   #7
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 10:35
Quote:
Originally posted by alva848
What if You make it so that harbors are prerequisite in order for the resourse to show up (maybe even later)
Yes, that is exactly what I was thinking of... make the new resource available only with some reasonable tech (roughly corresponding with the period that saw sea trade routes being established in real history). Perhaps Map Making would be a good choice, Navigation and Astronomy also come to my mind.
Old October 19, 2002, 06:05   #8
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 03:35
Someone's on to something here...
Old October 19, 2002, 06:49   #9
zulu9812
King

Local Time: 09:35
One of the best ideas I've heard in a while. I've noticed several modders have gotten gradually more dissastisfied with the civ3 engine and the way the game works. This is a great idea, but it's still limited by the engine. Might I suggest you pop over to the this website and take a look. Eventually, we'll be discussing this sort of thing at this forum
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old October 20, 2002, 14:17   #10
Raion
Prince

Local Time: 09:35
Well, I almost added a Navy Army, just as a glorified transport, meaning one could transport more units than the regular caraval or whatever. Use a Great Leader before one can build it like an army, but the leader and usual army can only be a land unit, so the only thing I could make was a transport with bombard capability.
Just using the regular army icon graphics and using it out at sea to transport more units.

With a Great Leader then, one could build a land army or a Navy Army with more transport ability, maybe even adding an attack value plus the bombard capability while transporting a few more units.

Still have to work on it. Each age would use the Army icon used, although a different graphic would be nice, that may come later, if at all.

Do one for air transport also, maybe for later in the game.

Needed Harbors for the Navy Army flag thing transport.

Of course, the computer can use it also.
Old October 20, 2002, 14:35   #11
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Thats a great idea Trip.

What would the implications be as far as the commericial dock is concerned?

I would like to have a navy, really I would. Please give me a reason to build one.

Next, work on how to make my airforce more useful Though it will be when the new editor comes out and I can go on long bombing runs.