Old October 25, 2002, 01:40   #31
unscratchedfoot
Prince

Local Time: 18:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I figure Mike's letter is answered by Jess's parents who give him the sad news that she has joined the Russians and become the leader of a nasty KGB death squad. Jess enjoys her work very much. Mike is recruited by the Brits to go and put a stop to the butchery Jess and her henchmen deal out. In the end, Mike goes down in a hail of grapeshot and is reduced to a small pile of pulp.

I bet this will be the closest prediction yet!
Old October 25, 2002, 11:51   #32
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 10:35
God damn it unscratchedfoot Ive got to completley rewrite parts 5,6 and 7 now. Have you been looking at my rough drafts,
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old October 25, 2002, 14:06   #33
bassman
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:35
Quote:
Originally posted by unscratchedfoot
I figure Mike's letter is answered by Jess's parents who give him the sad news that she has joined the Russians and become the leader of a nasty KGB death squad. Jess enjoys her work very much. Mike is recruited by the Brits to go and put a stop to the butchery Jess and her henchmen deal out. In the end, Mike goes down in a hail of grapeshot and is reduced to a small pile of pulp.

I bet this will be the closest prediction yet!
She's become the Russian Mata Hari and Mike will have to seduce her to the Brits side a la James Bond!
Old October 25, 2002, 15:25   #34
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Shaken not stirred, not quite what I had in mind but it sounds a whole lot more fun than unscratchedfoot's prophecy.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old October 25, 2002, 17:54   #35
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

PART 5 A Change Of National Policies.

In the months following the cessation of hostilities between England and Russia, there had been much diplomatic manouvering going on. Publicly every nation condemned Russia's unprovoked attack on the unsuspecting British cities, and the vile atrocities of which they stood accused. Privately most nations traded with them such is the lure of wealth, and the nature of politics.

Even six months after the wars end, Catherine The Great still refused to acknowledge British envoys of the new democratic government of the "United Kingdom Of Great Britain" and the "Commonwealth Of Former Colonies".

The election had been a landslide, and the democratic front was now the ruling party, and its first Prime Minister the right honourable Sir Timothy Hughes MP had been sworn in.

In its first public debate the goverment launched the white paper "The State Of The Empire". Every community throughout the British territories were consulted and polled on the issues for change to the constitution and national policies.

the following is a list of the immediate changes that were implemented as a result of the process.

1/ All existing colonies to be granted independance and the right to self govern. Miliatary and Naval protection will be provided by the mother country for as long as this is required.

2/ The creation of a new commonwealth of nations initially comprising England and the former colonial states. Membership was to be offered to other nations at a later date, and upon meeting certain criteria.

3/ Parliamentary Elections to be held every seven years to help to maintain this new democracy.

4/ The Royal family was to be maintained by the state, and were to become ambassadors for the country, and theguardians of tradition and heritage.

5/ The existing war department to be closed and two new ministeries set up in its place, The ministery for Naval Affairs, and the Ministery for Land Based defenses.

6/ New ministeries set up for Health, Education, Trade, Science, Production, Culture and foreign affairs.

7/ A new treasury department for the planning and implementation of the national budget, and the collection of taxes.

8/ A massive nationwide building and modernisation programme, each city was to have its own Officer of Construction responsible for overseeing the building, upgrading and maintenance of all amenity buildings.

That first Christmas after the war almost nine and a half months ago was a bitter sweet time for Mikes family.It was Christmas Eve and the Richards were just arriving home from midnight mass. Not the digs they had moved into when they had first arrived in London, but their new Kensington townhouse. Probably the most fashionable residentrial area of London.

Jack had been a foreman on the naval academy, and his natural ability to supervise a major project and his flair for man and resource management had assisted in the completion of the Maglellans Journey two months ahead of schedule. This was rewarded by the Queen and Jack became Londons first Officer of construction. Many thought that the PM had personally appointed Jack because of his family connections.

Mikes life was also about to change quite radically, aged fifteen now he asked his parents to permit him to attend the new miliatary academy at Sandhurst, where he hoped to become an officer in the British forces. Mike had been offered a place at the accademy, this was a great opportunity for him, the son of a stonemason.

Jack was somewhat upset that Mike was not going to be the next generation of the Richards family to be a stonemason , but he knew this was an opportunity not to be missed for his son. As the family prepared to celebrate christmas and there new found good fortune,
they received the news of the plight of the people of Bristol.

English diplomats had finally managed to get to speak to the Russian leader, and had news of the ethnic cleansing carried out by Russian forces in the field, and it was now most likely that all were dead.

Mike also, after months of sending letters to Leeds in the hope of finding out if Jess was still alive had not received any news, and was now beginning to lose hope.

PART 6 Reparations

To be posted on completion but I may take a break for a couple of days. Many thanks for all the support you have all shown me.

Last edited by ChrisiusMaximus; October 26, 2002 at 18:58.
Old October 27, 2002, 12:43   #36
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Well come on people is part 5 any good or not. Please let me know what you think.
Old October 27, 2002, 13:30   #37
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 03:35
Thirsty for feedback, are we, Chrisius?

Well, here goes then: honestly, after all the predictions, the actual story seems a little lacking in action and twists. It is, of course, above average, but really does not rise to the excitement of the previous parts. It might be just me, but I really found it pretty boring to read the numbered list of changes made to the country. I guess part of the reason is that my english teachers have always despised "laundry lists"...

But I do think you can write much better, and the name of the next part looks very promising. So, I am looking forward to the next installment.
Spore page

Last edited by vovan; October 27, 2002 at 13:36.
Old October 28, 2002, 00:05   #38
steamthunk
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:35
On the one hand, it was interesting to see how an Englander organized even a fictional UK but on the other hand it wasn't quite clear how such things really impacted on the characters in the story at the moment.

Do you have any maps of your game? I'd be interested to see what the world looks like if you do.
Old October 28, 2002, 13:44   #39
Nym
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by steamthunk
Do you have any maps of your game? I'd be interested to see what the world looks like if you do.
I agree.
Old October 28, 2002, 15:18   #40
bassman
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:35
You know this lot - two posts without blood and they're hollering for war!

The 'laundry list' problem can be solved by having your characters discuss the changes.

"Jess, what's all this fuss about a new government?"

"Here, Mum, I'll explain it to you - again!"

Sometimes, though, that can turn into a lot of dialog that doesn't drive the story forward, and may even obstruct it. Then your characters just become talking heads. Television and bad movies are full of this.

The problem is that the average citizen doesn't deal with government and history on a daily basis, unless it affects them directly.

"Why the hell do have to pay all these new, bleeding taxes?"

"It's the new government, Dad. All those new ministries, you know."

"Yes, dear, and the money from the colonies isn't coming in as much, now that they're all free."

Etc., etc., etc.

Keep up the good work, Chrisius. Looking forward to part 6.

Now if I could just get unscratchedfoot to put money on his bet...
Old October 28, 2002, 17:21   #41
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I think I rushed that last part a little but the info in the list is relevant to the story to come. Im going to post a map for you, but its not from a game. I have not actually based this story on a particular game, its obviously based on my knowledge of civ3 but also inspiration from other stories Ive read here.

I probably wont post the next part till midweek, I want to make sure its right before I post.

Last edited by ChrisiusMaximus; October 28, 2002 at 17:45.
Old October 28, 2002, 17:53   #42
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Map of world prior to Anglo Russian war. The unclaimed territory is a group of tiny islands and nonone knows of them as of yet. Ive shown them now to save me posting another map later.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	mikes world.bmp
Views:	60
Size:	461.7 KB
ID:	28015  
Old October 28, 2002, 17:59   #43
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Well, Chrisius, don't overestimate my criticism. I'm not necessarily "hollering for war," And I did read through the most recent part of your story. It's just that the way you set it up is less interesting or exciting to me than the presious ones.

I don't think it is necessary that all the changes to the country be shown as a dialogue, but there are, I think some possibilities of presenting this information to the reader in some form other than a numbered list. Maybe in the form of a newspaper article, or a report by some official to the local governor of one of the colonies that they have been granted freedom - including, as a matter of fact, the other changes in the government. Or maybe a public address by the first prime minister. You know, that type of stuff. That way you would maintain an illusion of action, while presenting static information

Then again, I am no writer, so that "advice" could as well be a bunch of useless stuff
Spore page
Old October 29, 2002, 13:07   #44
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Ive been rained off today at work so I managed to write part 6 sooner than anticipated.

PART 6 Reparations
The Democratic Front looked set to win their second term in office, there first six and a half years in power had been the most profitable period in British history. It had been a massive gamble to grant independance to the colonies, but had proved to be a real success. On the one hand it prevented other nations from saying that England was occupying their continent, and on the other hand it had given a huge increase in trading revenues throughout the new commonwealth.

Sir Timothy Hughes MP was standing for reelection, in his parties manifesto it described how with new technology and discoveries under their leadership the size, range and power of the Royal Navy had greatly increased. Furthermore all divisions of Musketmen had been retrained to use the new weapons called rifles and an extra 30 divisions had been created and trained.
These new weapons were said to be far more accurate at greater range and were much easier to reload with the revolutionary bullets for amnunition.

One thing the English had learned from the war with Russia was to stop selling technological know how to other nations. The United Kingdom was the richest, most advanced and most powerful nation on both sea and land.

Mike now aged 21 was walking with his father, it was a fine summers morning and both men felt at ease with the world. They were heading for the docklands to a political rally to hear cousin Tim speak.

"Look there Mike!" said Jack "its our old digs where we stayed all those years ago,"now one of Londons wealthiest men.

"My word, dont it look small hey Pa," said Mike.

"Not half, I dont think your Mum would want to come back, well not now any way. Ah here we are lets hear what he has to say,"replied Jack.

"Friends I come here today to tell you why you should vote for us, you all know of my parties achievements in government over the last almost seven years.Why would any of you want to vote for our opponents, The Republicans want to increase your taxes and place many new restrictions on your freedoms, while the All England party want to revert to system of power sharing with the monarchy. I say we dont want to go backwards and we dont want to stand still and be shackled. What we want is more, more progress, more wealth and more power."Spoke Sir Timothy to the cheering crowds.

"Hes a great! man he really has done us proud," Jack said to Mike.

"He certainly has Pa!, did I tell you Ive got to go and meet him after my passing out?" Mike asked.

"Friends we are on the verge of a revolution in our nation, one that will change the ways in which we think, and will revolutionise the way we do the things of our everyday lives. This will be an Industrial Revolution! and there will be more jobs, higher wages and lower taxes."

"Hooray!, Hooray!" shouted Jack trying to be heard above the crowd.

"Yes thats right lower taxes! how? well we pledge to initiate a nationwide program to build a new railroad network to service every city in the country. This is forcasted to greatly increase growth and trade revenues that we will give back to you the people" continued the Prime Minister.

"Fancy a pint lad?" Jack asked Mike.

"Yes why not" replied Mike and they headed off to the pub.

Mike had spent the last six years of his life intensivley training to become a high ranking officer in the British armed forces. In his heart still burned the hatred for the Russians who had killed his first love Jess, at least he assumed she had been killed has there had never been any word from Leeds. He had travelled all over the world to the former colonies whilst on exercise, and had been to every nations capitol city except for Moscow and Salamanca. Relations were still strained between the two nations. He had now finally come to the end of his training and was to receive his first commission from the Queen at Windsor in two days time.

"Hello Mum were home!" shouted Mike down the hallway.

"About time too" said Betty "Ive had your dinner ready for over an hour."

The Richards were very wealthy now and had domestic staff to run the household, but whenever Mike was home on leave Betty would always cook his favourite meal.

"Ah great! lobby me favourite, hiccup" said Jack slightly drunk.

"I see youve been to the pub then, oh well never mind, like father like son," said Betty "now go and wash up while I put your dinner out."

While they were eating Jack asked Mike "so why does the PM want to see you then Mike?"

"Im not really sure, but I think its got something to do with the Russians!" said Mike.

"Oh my god! theres not going to be another war is there Son?" said Betty quite alarmed.

"No Mum, well I dont think so" said Mike, "its all a bit hush hush at the moment but the government has been holding secret talks with the Russians for nearly a year now.

"Secret talks, what sort of secret talks?" asked Jack.

"You must promise not to repeat this to a soul!, I only know this because Ive been cousin Tims translator during the talks. We have demanded the return of Leeds to British sovereignty and the evacuation of the cities built in the former New England territory plus the sum of 50 million pounds sterling in reparations for the atrocities committed by the Russian army." Mike explained, "Or we will initiate trde embergos with all other nations and the commonwealth against their country."

"Sounds mighty dangerous to me Son!" said Jack.

"Not really Pa! see the Russian army is combined of the outdated Musketmen with calvary and cannon, and although large in number there pitiful navy would never manage to get passed our fleets sailing off the Russian coast."

"But whats this got to do with you, I, I dont want you to get hurt, why have you got to get involved."

"Quiet down woman!, dont get so worked up, hes a grown man not a boy," snapped Jack.

"I know, I, I, Im sory," sniffed Betty.

"Its alright Mum, dont worry I know how to look after myself. Now come on lets forget all about this, I dont know when Ill get my next leave."

Two days later Betty and Jack watched with pride as the Queen awarded Mike his new commission. He only had a moment to say goodbye to them before he was taken to meet with the Prime Minister.

Jack and Betty headed for home, on the way Jack told Betty about his new venture. He was setting up his own business to tender for the contracts to build the new railroads, he knew the work would not start until after the elections in three months time. His bank manager had agreed to put up the money to get the business started on condition that a subsidary company be set up along side to run the actual railway or at least part of it.

"Im doing it for our Mike," he said "and his children."

"Theres no chance of that Jack!," said Betty, "he will never marry. He cant let go of Jess's memory, only a miracle like finding her alive will ever see us become grandparents."

"Hmm, perhaps your right" said Jack sadly.

Part 7 The Meeting.

If you caught the first part of this then you will probably wonder why I only posted part of it, my dinner was ready

Last edited by ChrisiusMaximus; November 2, 2002 at 10:02.
Old October 29, 2002, 13:22   #45
vovan
Emperor

Very nice. And the name of the next part looks pretty intriguing (even though it seems to give away the plot a little bit)
Spore page

Last edited by vovan; October 29, 2002 at 16:27.
Old November 2, 2002, 09:35   #46
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

This part is dedicated to vovansim for his continued support and as his prediction was the closest.

Come on people give some feedback!!

PART 7 The Meeting.
"Glad you could make it Mike, come on through," Sir Timothy said greeting Mike.

Mike followed the PM into the large oak pannelled library, through the double doors into the cabinet room. In the room were several people, some of whom he had met before and some new faces.

"Right then everybody, this is our young protige Mike Richards. Some of you I know have met this young man before, but let me briefly tell you about him. Well his family were lucky enough to get out of New England just before the Russians sneak attacked us. His father who you may also know is Jack Richards the construction officer for the London region." the Prime Minister paused then continued, "Mikes parents asked me back then if I could get him into the school I used to be the head of. Of course on realising that the boy was fluent in Russian I accepted. After our election victory Mike applied for a place at the then new Miliatary Accademy at Sandhurst and was accepted. Mike has spent the last six years of his life training in the arts of leadership, combat, tatics and warfare and gentlemen in this time he has travelled to all parts of the commonwealth being stationed at different garrisons. His knowledge of the world and especially Russia is unrivalled and I have here over forty letters of commendation from Mikes commanding officers hes served under during his training."

"Bravo lad," went up the response from all those in attendance.

"Thank you all very much gentlemen." said Mike a little nervously.

"Right then Mike this is as you already know Lord Cartwright the foreign secretary and on his left is Anthony Pritchard MP for Birmingham and my Trade and Industry spokesman," moving around the room shaking peoples hands. "Now I know you know this chap Brigadier Peterson my Miliatary Advisor, with him are General Cooper who saw action in Leeds and seargeant Jones of the Royal Welsh Guards. Lastly but by no means least we have Rear Admiral Simms and Captain Blake two of the navies finest, the Admiral saw action during the war and sunk two enemy ships."

With the introductions over the men took their seats at the huge oak cabinet table.

"Gentlemen shall we proceed, Anthony can you give us your report?" asked Sir Timothy.

"Yes prime minister, now as you know at the present time we have acheived a lead in science and production but the French and Indians are hot on our heals. Russia has the potential to out produce us if she can aqquire the right knowledge, and unfortunately we cannot guarentee that other nations will not trade information with the Russians. The Chinese in particular have formed strong trading relations with Russia since the war, we know they have been shipping incense to them for a couple of years now. We also suspect that Russia is selling saltpeter to the Iroquois but our information on this is sketchy at best." said the Trade and Industry spokesman then sat back down.

"Thanks Anthony, now over to you Lord Cartwright," said the PM.

"Thank you sir," said the Foreign Secretary, "As you may be aware myself and the PM have been conducting secret talks for some months now with the Russians. We have demanded the return of Leeds and all former British territories of New England plus 50 million pounds in compensation for the atrocities committed on our people by their soldiers. However our most recent comunique from Moscow reads as follows, "We are no longer prepared to discuss this matter, further if you persist we will expose your threats to the worlds press. You will remove all naval vessels from our waters or we shall declare war." Of course we have refused to comply with their ridiculous demands and have reissued our demands. Finally to add to our problems we are getting some negative responses, especially from the French and the Chinese regarding the possibility of trading restrictions on the Russians if they were to be requested. The Iroquois will not even answer our questions."

"Now then Mike I can see you are wondering why you are here," said Sir Timothy.

"Yes Sir." responded Mike.

"Well we have a very important mission for you, now if you want to you can leave right now. If you choose to stay you must carry out your orders and you will be sworn to secracy. I have to tell you that this is a very dangerous operation and chances are you wont make it out alive, do you understand me Mike!"

Mike pondered for a moment , at last my chance to kick back at those blasted Russian dogs he thought to himself, "yes Sir! I understand Sir!, I am ready to do my duty and will give my life if necessary Sir!" said Mike with determination.

"Good, good, I knew you wouldnt let me down. Now you must understand you will have no contact with your family until this thing is over, and what you are about to hear is top secret."

"Yes Sir I understand, please continue," said Mike.

"Okay Brigadier can you give us your report?" asked the PM.

""Yes Prime Minister, Presently we have the most advanced toops in the world, and research is ongoing to further improve our forces. We currently have large garrisons in all the former colonies and are well placed to protect our allies if the need should arise. We have good knowledge of the size and make up of other nations land forces with two exceptions. Firstly as we have no diplomatic contact with the Iroquois we have no information on their miliatary status, and they continue to remain isolated from us. The Russians on the other hand still rely upon the outmoded Muskets for their infantry, our intelligence from the resistance movement assures us of this but cannot estimate numbers"

"Bloody thousands of them!! Hundreds of thousands of them from my experience I should say," piped in general Cooper.

"Yes yes general, now please continue Brigadier," said the PM angrily.

"Thank you Sir, we have tentative estimates from the resistance but these cannot be relied upon," stated the Brigadier.

"Excuse me Sir," said Mike "you said the resistance, I wasnt aware of any resistance movement."

"As I said Mike what you are about to hear is top secret, now its your turn General," said the Prime Minister.

"Er yes, sorry for my interuption before Sir, right Mike as youve just heard our info is a bit sketchy. Were not sure what the Iroquois would do if we mounted an invasion to recapture Leeds, nor for that matter the French and the Chinese. Now we dont want to end up fighting a war on several fronts, and the casualties would most likely be appalling for any invasion. So this is where you and Seargeant Jones come in, Jones is the armys best marksman with the new rifles recently issued and can speak a little Russian. Youll have plenty of time to become aqquainted later, now over to you Admiral."

"Thanks Cooper, right gentlemen our control of the seas is total, a few other nations including Russia have got Frigate class ships but our Man O Wars outgun, outmanouvre and out number there fleets a hundred fold. I have just come from the Royal Shipwrights and can tell you that the new flagship HMS Queen Elizabeth MK2 a brand new Ironclad class warship is ready to be launched tonight. A further fifty of these are ready for service at docks around the country with another 200 on the order books. Captain Blake here will comandeer the QE2 and take you two to your first rendezvous," finished the Admiral.

"Okay thank you all very much gentlemen, right then Mike and, sorry Mike I didnt mention, Seargeant Jones's first name is Thomas. You two will need to get kitted up and ready to leave at 21.00 hrs tonight on the QE2. For security reasons I cannot tell you too much at the moment, but for now you will be heading for a small group of islands far out in the northern ocean, there you will rendezvous with a small Russian fishing boat manned by resistance members. They will smuggle you into Leeds where you will be taken to a secret complex in an old gold mine. Once there an operative who is already their will give you your next instructions. You will be both issued with a suicide pill which you are expected to use should you be captured, now do you both understand this!" asked the PM.

"Yes SIR!" said the two men.

"Right then, the best of British luck to you, and may god be with you both!" said the Prime Minister.

Time was of the essence, England had a technological advantage at the moment and the Government did not want to miss this opportunity. Russia would never back down without a fight and England could not afford to risk a war on many fronts, a world war. As science was progressing deadlier weapons were being created, the time to strike was now.

Part 8 Danger At Sea
Still writing this, any ideas anyone. Tell me what you think of this so far.

Last edited by ChrisiusMaximus; November 2, 2002 at 09:54.
Old November 2, 2002, 13:10   #47
unscratchedfoot
Prince

I know! I know! Jess and her henchmen are waiting in the old gold mine, and when Mike arrives, they'll greet him with a wall of lead.

Your call for feedback has not gone unheard. Good story. I wanna see how this secret mission goes and the big war coming up. You must have spent a lot of time cooking this up. Is it still raining?
Old November 2, 2002, 13:15   #48
gooberboob
Civilization II PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMNever Ending Stories
Warlord

Old November 2, 2002, 13:39   #49
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Yes unscratchedfoot its still raining, this is England you know
Old November 2, 2002, 13:41   #50
gooberboob
Civilization II PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMNever Ending Stories
Warlord

It's snowing here
Old November 2, 2002, 13:41   #51
vovan
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisiusMaximus:
This part is dedicated to vovansim
Wow, thanks.

Once again, a great chapter. I think I'm running out of words to say good things about your story and not repeat any of my own posts above. (I mean, how boring would feedback be, if everybody expressed their approval in the same words? )

Now, I would also say that this overview of the next chapter in the end of each installment is getting better, also. I am quite eager to know what will happen in the sea. I suppose on the way to the island the Ironclad will be intercepted by some russian ships? Surely, Mike will get out of that situation unhurt, though.

Looking forward to the next part.
Spore page
Old November 2, 2002, 13:50   #52
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Thanks vovan and thanks gooberboob, like your gooberpoxy, very funny.
Old November 3, 2002, 00:34   #53
unscratchedfoot
Prince

Since I put you in my story as Second lieutenant Chris Maxim, could you put unscratchedfoot into your story? If you're not sure what role I should play, please make me one of Jess's trenchcoat-clad henchmen.
Old November 3, 2002, 01:07   #54
vovan
Emperor

unscratchedfoot is a very Russian-sounding name, too
Spore page
Old November 3, 2002, 03:42   #55
unscratchedfoot
Prince

Of course it is vovonism. There are several Russian legends who have the same name as me.

So vovonism, when are you gonna write a story? Everyone here has written one so far except you. So what are you waiting for? Might as well hop to it. It's good for you to write stories.
Old November 3, 2002, 04:49   #56
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Ill see what I can do unscratchedfoot and Im pretty sure Ive seen some of vovansim's work further back in the forums logue, so Ill check back again and let you know.
Old November 3, 2002, 13:04   #57
vovan
Emperor

Well, I've only written one story so far, and as I go back to reread it now, it doesn't seem very good. But I am currently working on another one. (Well, I said before I was working on two, but I got bored after writing four parts of the other one. I might finish it some time later.) So, this one story I am working on right now, I have written five parts, and still going. (I already have a map for it, too ) I want to be close to finishing it before I post the first part, though. So, with patience, you might see a new one from me

EDIT: I figured I'd save you some searching time, and post the link to my old story:
The rise of the first Reich (November 12, 2001)
Spore page

Last edited by vovan; November 3, 2002 at 13:58.
Old November 3, 2002, 19:57   #58
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Well here goes, I hope you like your part unscratchedfoot.

PART 8 Danger At Sea

The QE2, the navy's new flagship was a formiddable beast of a vessel with immense firepower. The ships crew were carrying out many tests whilst enroute to the rendezvous point. Mike and Tom were below in their bunks chatting when BOOM!!

"Oh for pity's sake! how many times have they got to fire those blasted guns" cried Tom.

"I suppose theyve got to practice their range Tom, this is a whole new class of ship never mind the guns," said Mike.

"I guess youre" BOOM!! "Bloody hell! there it goes again hope theyve got some shells left in case we run into Pirates!" expressed Tom.

"Pirates!" said Mike somewhat surprised, "what pirates? Ive never heard of any Pirates."

"Oh theres Pirates alright Mike, just not common knowledge thats all," Tom said.

"So how come you know about them?"

"Well you see my father served aboard HMS Intrepid when she was at sea charting this part of the ocean, four or five years ago." Tom replied, " in fact thats when the islands were heading towards were discovered."

"Well I thought we were supposed to rule the waves, how can there be Pirates in this day and age?"

"As far as controlling the worlds trade routes and having the worlds largest navy we do, but Pirates exist out here. You dont get many British ships venturing out this far from home."

"So what happened to your dad then?"

"Oh hes alright, he was part of the expedition to explore this ocean. There was three ships set off, but only the Intrepid made it back home."

"What happened?" asked Mike.

"Well" said Tom, "they were attacked by the Pirates, my dad said there were at least twenty ships came out of nowhere. They thought they were Russian at first, but they werent flying any national colours, just a black flag with a skull and crossed bones on it. Thay boarded the two Galleons and damaged the Intrepid, but with her superior firepower and speed she managed to fight them off and make it back home. My dad said they managed to sink at least six of the Pirates ships."

"how on earth can so many Pirates survive out here," said Mike.

"I dont know mate, my dad reckons they must live on one of the islands."

"Phew! lets hope we dont run into them eh" said Mike.

"No problem mate, they wouldnt stand a chance against this beast, thats if theyve got any shells left!"

"Lets hope so eh!" said Mike. He remembered the voyage to London all those years ago. He had really enjoyed being at sea on that Galleon with all her sails billowing in the wind. Not so on this voyage, the seas were much rougher and on deck was the stench of smoke continually spewing from the funnels."Im going to try and get some sleep now," said Mike "goodnight Tom."

"Me too, goodnight Mike."

The QE2 was indeed a beast of a ship, she was a broadside warrior class built of four and half inch iron plates and bulkheads with a displacement of 9200 tons. She was capable of cruising in all weathers at a steady 14 knotts, and was armed with 26 no 68 pounder smooth bore mussel loading guns, 16 no 7 inch breach loading and 6 no 70 pounder breach loading guns with a crew compliment of 700 men.

They were woken early the next morning by the ships whistle sounding and the lookout shouting ship ahoy.

"Ah good your both awake, best get your gear together lads were at the rendezvous and weve sighted the fishing vessel," said Captain Blake.

"Yes Sir" said Tom and Mike both saluting. They both washed and packed their gear and had time for a bit of breakfast in the galley before boarding the Russian ship.

"My god," said Mike, "look at that, its the Queen Of The Sea." She was hardly recognisable having been renovated and converted into a fishing vessel, but she still had her name on her bow. Mikes heart skipped a beat or two as the memories flooded back.

"Well goodbye men and good luck, all Englands hopes rest on you two!" said the Captain.

A young Russian sailor, Unscratchedfoot or scratch as he known to his shipmates showed Mike and Tom below to their quarters."In here said Scratch, "youre bunking with me and Yuri."

"Thanks" said Tom, "your English is very good."

"We all are fluent in how you say, your lingo," said Yuri, and spoke to Scratch in Russian. Scratch left and went back on deck.

"Im fluent in Russian" said Mike, "so you can speak in your language if you prefer."

"Its no problem, we speak the English. Right you two must do as I say you understand,when we get close to Leeds there may be patrols who might want to search us. This will not be for at least 7 or 8 days so for now you can both relax."

"Thanks Yuri" said Mike.

A few days later Mike was taking a stroll on deck when he spotted scratch, smashing fish on the head with a large wooden mallet.

"For gods sake there dead already, just stop that will you" yelled Yuri.

"If I must," replied Scratch, and walked off with his shoulders shrugged.

"Sorry about that Mike, hes a bit strange sometimes but he tells really funny jokes!"

"Its alright Yuri, Ive met like him when I was at Sandhurst, I can tell you," said Mike.

That evening from out of nowhere two Pirates ships appeared, the first fired its cannons, but luckily they fell short. Yuri wrestled with the wheel and frantically shouted orders to his men.

"Head for that fog bank to the south," shouted Tom to Yuri. "We should be able to lose them in their."

They had a slight speed advantage over the Pirates, but the second ship let rip its salvo, and several shots hit their mark, sending deadly shards of wood flying in all directions. Several crew were killed outright and a few badly injured.

"Quick Mike!! break out those rifles weve got for the resistance," yelled Tom.

Tom lined up his shot and sent a bullet straight into the Pirate ships captains forehead, and he fell to the deck like a sack of potatoes. The Russians swiftly got the hang of these strange new weapons and inflicted heavy casualties on the dumbfounded Pirates. The Pirates couldnt even get to reload theor cannons cause every time one of them raised their head Tom's accuracy sent them to their grave. The two Pirate ships peeled away realizing they'd bitten off more than they could chew, but Yuri still headed into the fog bank just in case they decided to try again.

"These rifles are amazing," yelled Scratch jumping for joy, "I shot one of those pigs in his left eye, and well he screamed and staggered about with blood spurting through his fingers, I put another into his right eye before he fell over the side, HA HA HA!!"

"Youre a bloody good shot, Ill give you that much" said Tom.

That night there was an awful storm, the ship was being thrown around by twenty foot waves and was taking on water from the damage caused ealier.

"She cant take much more of this," cried Yuri as six men struggled to keep her on course.

"Dont give up, well make it. She will get us through the good old Queen Of The Sea," yelled Mike over the noise of the storm. The storm blew out by morning and Yuri and his crew set about repairing the damage.

Over the next few days things were easier and Mike became good friends with Scratch. Mike liked his sense of humour, it reminded him of his mates back at the academy. Scratch told Mike that some of the women and children left alive after the war in Leeds had been spared by the Russian soldiers. This filled Mike with new hope, maybe Jess was still alive, maybe hed find her one day.

Land was sighted and Tom and Mike were rowed ashore by Scratch under cover of darkness. So far they had not been spotted by any Russian patrols, but things were bound to get more dangerous from here on in. Scratch gave them directions to the mine and bid them farewell.

"I promise you Scratch, when this is over Ill look you up" said Mike.

PART 9 Behind Enemy Lines
Just what is in store for Mike and Tom? what is this mission going to entail, will they live to tell the tale. Pray god that they suceed or England will be sucked into a terrible war.
Old November 3, 2002, 20:30   #59
vovan
Emperor

This is yet another quality chapter in Mike's story, ChrisiusMaximus, keep up the great job. The bits of humour (even though rather dark humour) do add to the story. Very nice. Not overly 'bloody', and not overly into the comedy side - just right, I say.

One thing about Scratch. When I read the first mention of pirates, I was sure he would be one of them. I thought that would be a great nickname for a pirate.

[rough 'n tough voice]"Arrr. They call me UnscratchedFoot, matey."[/rough 'n tough voice]
Spore page
Old November 3, 2002, 20:35   #60
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

I did toy with just that thought myself, but I didnt want to kill him off just yet.
But who knows what will become of him later

Once again vovan many thanks for your very kind words