View Poll Results: Shall We Become A Republic?
Yes! On to Republic in 1180 AD! 10 83.33%
No! Are you nuts, you crazy old King? 2 16.67%
Wait! 1260 sounds better to me! 0 0%
Bananananana!!!! Bo bop a Ree Bop a Boop Bom Bang! 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 19, 2002, 15:57   #1
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 04:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Going Republic
My fellow Citizens -

Our Scientists have been studying a new form of Government for many years. It has some dangers, but it also promises great rewards. They advise me that we must be careful not to have more than 1 military unit per city outside our city areas and our Settlers will be working harder and so require another ration of grain, but that in return for this minor restriction, we will all become more productive. Our Scientists will learn things faster, our markets will be more efficient, our money supply will increase, and we will even be able to afford "luxuries".

In closed council with the Scientists, I have reviewed our international and local situations carefully, and I agree with them that the time is right to enter into this newer more efficient form of Government. I might add that our enemies are all in this form of Government and are apparently thriving better then We would like, but at least that is evidence that this new "Republic" thing might work.

We see no single city with more than 1 military unit outside its borders, our Citizens are happy now that Mike's Chapel has been completed, and we appear to have sufficient shield production in our cities to risk the change!

I had some concerns that this new Republic idea might limit my personal control over you all as your King (I only wish such control to protect and guide my People, through my Divine Right and benevolence), but the Scientists assure me that my firm hand on the Ship of State will still be as unlimited and important as ever. So, with this assurance, I suggest to you all that we embark on the change to Republic on the very next opportunity (1180 AD). The Royal Astrologers tell me that the planetary alignments suggest that this is the perfect time for it (they call it an "Oedo Year"), and that the next will not arrive until 1260.
Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old October 19, 2002, 16:03   #2
cavebear
Emperor

Scientist's report to the King on "Republic":

"A Republic is an assembly of autonomous city-states under the control of a central government. Although the central government has the ultimate say in matters that affect the society as a whole, the city-states are given a certain amount of latitude in the governing of local affairs. Decisions are made by the ruler, but are subject to review by a group of officials known as the Senate.

* Each unit costs one shield per turn.
* Settlers eat two Food per turn.

Each unit beyond the first unit that is not in a friendly city (or in a Fortress within three squares of a friendly city) causes one citizen in its home city to become unhappy.

Republics experience a low rate of corruption and waste. The farther a city is from your capital, the higher its level of corruption.

* Under a Republic, Tax/Luxury/Science rates cannot be set higher than 80%.
* Your senate may force a peaceful solution in a conflict.

* Switching to a Republic can give an astounding boost to your Science and Luxury revenues, although you will probably be forced to shift some Trade to Luxuries in order to prevent unhappiness.
* Republics make it difficult and expensive to keep a sizable army in the field, but building certain Improvements and Wonders can help to alleviate this problem."
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Old October 19, 2002, 19:27   #3
mrboo123
Rise of Nations MultiplayerC4DG VoxCiv4 SP Democracy GameNationStates
King

Local Time: 03:35
Didn't we have a poll on this, 3 TIMES!!!! Like they said, quote me once, shame on me, quote me tiwce, shame on you, quote me three times.....(I forget the rest)
Old October 20, 2002, 03:29   #4
CannonFodder
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontMac
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by 123john321
Didn't we have a poll on this, 3 TIMES!!!! Like they said, quote me once, shame on me, quote me tiwce, shame on you, quote me three times.....(I forget the rest)
I've never heard that one before...
Former Imperial Expansion Minister of the first Civ2 Democracy Game
Old October 20, 2002, 10:06   #5
mrboo123
Rise of Nations MultiplayerC4DG VoxCiv4 SP Democracy GameNationStates
King

Quote:
Originally posted by CannonFodder I've never heard that one before...
I only herd it once or tiwce before.
Old October 20, 2002, 14:52   #6
cavebear
Emperor

It's "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me".

And the poll is to seek the approval of the Citizens to actually change to Republic specifically now, not like the previous ones about whether we should change to Republic in general. Since it seemed like a good time to stop the session anyway (having just gotten Mike's), I thought it was appropriate to ask.

Old October 20, 2002, 15:00   #7
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 11:35

Old October 20, 2002, 21:59   #8
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

I'm no expert, but now that we have Mike's, I say yes.
Old October 23, 2002, 12:27   #9
JCP
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameMacCivilization II Succession GamesScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Multiplayer
Prince

Local Time: 11:35
The poll is closed when I read this thread
But I have a suggestion : if we switch for Republic (I think we may) why not some years of luxuries up to 50 % for cities growing under WLTPD ?
Old October 23, 2002, 19:07   #10
cavebear
Emperor

I expect to have to change our tax rate to include luxuries when we switch to Republic. When it looks like things are stable, some WLTxD might well be a good idea. It will depend on how well we are set to afford rapid growth. I certainly want us to grow, but we don't want to grow into unhappiness problems, either.

Old October 24, 2002, 02:51   #11
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 21:35
For what it's worth I would have voted Republic too.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!