Old October 21, 2002, 07:16   #31
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 21:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The Civ3 game is getting to the point where we have enough cities to worry about that occasionally we miss something. IF each citizen interested had one, two or even three bases to administer, disorders would be prevented, resources would be best used etc.... the only drawback I see is that the independence of Governors might clash with overall objectives. If these Governors just made suggestions to the DBP and DTC, and these two Directos had the final right of approval or disapproval, then we need not elect anyone new, just delegate to whoever was interested. The Governors would keep things as efficient as possible, following general guidelines given by the DBP and DTC (eg no military units, improve energy in your base etc.), and all important things like potential riots would be dealt with before they were missed, which is something the DBP can't keep up to date with fully all the time, even with the small number of basews we yet have.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old October 21, 2002, 07:28   #32
Darkness' Edge
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCall to Power II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Prince

Local Time: 20:36
I'd much rather see the job done completely.

T&C, I&E, and maybe BP could be merged into a larger ministry, and elected regional governors, covering regions of four cities each, would cover those tasks in their cities, reporting back to the Director, who would have power of veto.

This would be useful in giving newbies some experience and a chance to prove themselves - without taking out the responsibility and making the positions completely useless, or creating positions that we won't be able to fill.
Old October 21, 2002, 07:30   #33
Pandemoniak
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 09:36
Location: of Xanadu, Scottish Section of the Apolyton Must Crush Capitalism Party
Quote:
Governors either have a point and a use or they don't.
Well, they can be given a use. But its up to the Directors to share their powers. Im sure you can understand a director cannot share his power with a non-existing governor.

Quote:
I wish you'd stop pushing city governors - I think it's a moot point, because we simply don't have the people.
Well, thats according to the districts-making, thus according to the AT in my idea. If we have enough citizens to have one governor per base, I guess the AT will make districts like that. If we havent enough citizens, the AT will make other districts. Its all up to the AT intelligence, nothing to do with the number of bases and citizens, since its regulated by the AT (or whoever else, my first idea was to give tha AT this task, but it can be done by someone else, this is has to be discussed).
Old October 21, 2002, 10:16   #34
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

IF we are going thru with this i suggest we do it good and merge the DTC, DEI and DBP in one big Directorate of regions that has one director and maybe an assistant director and for the rest regional governers these dont have to be elected or do....that is just one simple choice.....but every governer would get overall guideline from the director which gets buildingrequests from the other directors..........the governers would act on those orders like they seem best and this way we would get several very distinct regions.
the director give the orders from the governers to the commissioner with a veto right. but the director couldnt give specific orders to the governers only generalguidelines............i like the idea but this would be a major change in the constitution....and i would like a committee working on this instead of one person so that we could do good in one time........if this all goes thru the DGSMAC would be really different from any other DG........I LIKE........I it
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old October 21, 2002, 11:35   #35
AdamTG02
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4WDG Delian LeagueC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

Local Time: 05:36
Rather than merging, I'd prefer that the Governors have whatevr power is delegated to them from each Directorate. That way we get the increased seperation of powers from the Governors, while not sacrificing the seperation of powers between Directorates that we already have.
Old October 21, 2002, 11:39   #36
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

that would make them puppets of the directors......if you give one central director the managing power over the governers power would be much more spread out and it would me much cooler!
Old October 22, 2002, 04:43   #37
Pandemoniak
King

Location: of Xanadu, Scottish Section of the Apolyton Must Crush Capitalism Party
I prefer the merging,
but we indeed dont have enough citizens for a total suppression of the DoTC, DoEI and DoBP. We should have two steps : first make governers dependants of directors, and see how it works.
If theres no problem at this point, we'll envisage to merge the three directorates in regions.
I love the idea of playing a different DG, after SMAC is not a Sid Meieres game , and its a totally different game from Civ.
Old October 30, 2002, 18:23   #38
Pandemoniak
King

^BUMP^
Old November 2, 2002, 07:04   #39
DeathByTheSword
King

after the session of tonight and certainly after the next one.. we will have around 15 bases.... i think that would give us 5 different regions where governers can be help full.....i would suggest that every director that wants help (thinking of DIE, DTC and DBP) can start asking for governers or the AT can do that and that the 3 directorates give certain orders for them to do in there regions.....because the workload is getting huge for these 3
Old November 2, 2002, 07:09   #40
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Sounds like a good idea. How would we pick the governors? Volunteers? Elections?
Old November 2, 2002, 07:17   #41
DeathByTheSword
King

well this term i would suggest volunteers....next term maybe elections? but i do think we need them soon...so JOENO could you start a thread about askin people that want to do it sometime soon.......so we would at least now if there were people that want to do it?
Old November 2, 2002, 07:18   #42
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

It might get to be a bit of a headache, having an extra 5+ elections and campaigns to deal with every term.
Old November 2, 2002, 07:22   #43
DeathByTheSword
King

that right..... but then i would suggest that we merge DTC,DEI and DBP to one director that would be in charge of the regions and then vote for the governers in one multi-vote poll (just like the judges election) that would even save us one election!
Old November 2, 2002, 07:38   #44
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 11:36
Quote:
that right..... but then i would suggest that we merge DTC,DEI and DBP to one director that would be in charge of the regions and then vote for the governers in one multi-vote poll (just like the judges election) that would even save us one election!
i like that idea, for now i suggest the dtc, die and the dbp should divide our territory into regoins and they can appoint volunteers to handle those regions.
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Old November 2, 2002, 07:45   #45
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

So a top secret meeting between dmm5845, Makahlua and me to divide absolute power over the Peacekeeper faction?
Old November 2, 2002, 07:52   #46
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Not quite absolute... DE and I could always declare war and then leave you lot defenseless against the oncoming enemy.
Old November 2, 2002, 07:57   #47
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Oh darn. But we could always sneak out in a colony pod!
Old November 2, 2002, 11:22   #48
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 06:36
Quote:
Originally posted by DeathByTheSword
Governers
have the rights of:
*acting as a director for his region if a director isnt able to give any orders on his field of power
*advising any director on things that concern his region
*polling for guidelines for his region

have the duties of:
*that the directors give
*advising the rest of the faction about this region the best he can

May NOT:
give orders in a specific field if the director in charge of that field didnt gave premission.

Governers are assign by the people to take care of a certain area there power in each field of expertise is a big as the director in charge give them to the governers.
is this still the official job description?
Old November 2, 2002, 11:25   #49
Pandemoniak
King

To me, he can only act/poll officially IF a director allowed him/her to.
Old November 2, 2002, 11:56   #50
DeathByTheSword
King

that is in that one i wrote so we can use that i would like the AT to divide the faction and ask for volunteers. for this term for the next turnsession maybe?
Old November 2, 2002, 20:11   #51
Makahlua
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG2 TabemonoACDG PeaceCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 Data AngelsC4WDG Team ApolytonC3CDG Blood Oath HordeBtS Tri-LeagueCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team
King

Local Time: 04:36
Hummm I'm liking this merge and then regions idea!

/me groans looking at the long list of orders she must make

I would -love- to hand some bases over to a governor or two and say "Here - build the basics and get up to size x and I'll holo-vid you when I need cralwers/probes/scouts" Then I suppose I'd be micromanaging core cities for sp's and PK forces production...or something.

We need a good description of what each position would do! - by which I mean of what the big director would be and what the under directors would be doing, ewtc.

Last edited by Makahlua; November 2, 2002 at 21:12.
Old November 3, 2002, 09:27   #52
DeathByTheSword
King

i will be working on that this week expect first draft wednesday
Old November 3, 2002, 22:47   #53
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

I would suggest waiting 'til our civilizations grown a bit before appointing even more poeple to run it... i keep thinking 'too many cooks spoil the broth', though if the directors want help i spose it could work.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old November 3, 2002, 22:53   #54
Darkness' Edge
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCall to Power II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Prince

I like this solution. Well done to all involved.