Old October 20, 2002, 16:11   #1
SanPellegrino
Civilization III PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 09:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
AI preventing Culture flips?
The Americans founded this island city far away from their capital, but near to the french homeland. It seems they wanted to prevent a flip by building this city out of the radius of Cherbourg.

The spot 1 NE looks much better, at least they could have 2 shields in the future .

To tell from my games, the AI is usually not too shy to build in my radius. So does the AI take the possible flip in account?

(IIRC only a city you share some radius with can flip to your side)
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	noflip.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	27458  
Old October 20, 2002, 16:35   #2
Playa del Carmen
Warlord

Local Time: 03:38
Well, I've the the feeling that the AI is just a bit more cunning than it seems when it comes to culture flipping. In a game I'm playing right now, I'm doing everthing I can to flip a newly settled AI city to my side (I have some defensive units tag along with my settler so they can start building a library, temple, university and anything else I can) then I rush those buildings so I can start expanding as soon as possible. I have the feeling the AI has already built a culture improvement (perhaps that's why they're all so broke all the time). I have 2,000+ in gold but they rarely have over 100 when I meet them in negotiaions.

One of these days I'll get off my fat Persian behind and actually INVESTIGATE their city to see if there are any culture buildings in it, but I keep forgeting.
Old October 20, 2002, 17:41   #3
SanPellegrino
Civilization III PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 09:38
Quote:
Originally posted by Playa del Carmen
I have some defensive units tag along with my settler so they can start building a library, temple, university and anything else I can
I never flipped a single city to my side, that was built earlier than the one that wants to flip it. I had only flips to my side in extreme situations, e.g. getting a cutoff city that is in Anarchy. (Ok in OCC it happens more often because the AI cities lay next to your capital with lot of culture, but you must rebuff them)