View Poll Results: How may times a game do you cheat?
I never cheat. 54 67.50%
I cheat between 5 and 10 times a game. 14 17.50%
I cheat between 10 and 20 times a game. 3 3.75%
I cheat between 20 and 30 times a game. 1 1.25%
I cheat whenever I like. 8 10.00%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 21, 2002, 20:27   #31
Jethro83
Prince

Local Time: 19:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I never cheat. Unless of course I accidentaly slip and move something the wrong way. Of course, sometimes I don't even reload then (especially if the unit ends up on a mountain square where they could halt the enemy's advance).

If I screw up, I like to try to devise some solution to the problem I've created. Nobody's perfect, so I don't expect myself to be making perfect decisions, or to be immune to stupid decisions.

If anything, I'd restart. Since I don't have much time on my hands these days, I definitely don't have time to be playing out a game where I have no chance at all of victory of some sort (though of course I do want to need to think, be worked and be pushed hard to get to this victory).
Old October 21, 2002, 21:37   #32
ducki
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 03:39
Re: How many times in a game do you cheat?
Quote:
Originally posted by georges bonbon
In the beginning I wait a turn before taking a goody hut if the goody hut produces barbarians. (I prefer to wait for scientific advances).
Maybe it's because I've only just moved up to Regent, but I almost prefer to get at least one Barbarian hut early...

Why?
It's an _almost_ guaranteed Elite Warrior. Not for the Leader potential, but for the extra 2 hitpoints.
I read somewhere else that any unit that gets attacked more than once in a round automatically gets promoted, and my personal experience has seen that I always end up with an elite at the end of a 3 barb hut, because they always attack on the same round.

Naturally, if I got a conscript warrior out of a hut, he's usually toast, but a regular, if he survives, is always Elite after that.

I always seem to be able to trade for all the first rank techs anyway.

But like I said, I'm on my first Regent game and am playing Small, hoping to finish sometime this year, so restarting for a tech at that point probably makes sense at higher levels.

Oh, and my poll answer was "Never".
Old October 21, 2002, 22:40   #33
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 05:39
Well I would go along if you, except for the idea of it occuring most of the time. First my warrior does not always win the fights. When he does, it will nearly always make at least vet and now and then make elite. This is if I am a mil civ. Before 129F, it seemed a bit higher odds, but I could be wrong on that part.
Old October 22, 2002, 00:10   #34
JohnM2433
Warlord

Local Time: 01:39
I only reload if I hit the wrong button or foget to do something.

I like the idea that someone mentioned above about partiy between the human and the AI. That means that the human shouldn't have to suffer because of forgetting to do something or hitting the wrong button, because the AI wouldn't do that. Following the same general principle, the human should never reload because of a tactical error or unpredictable random event, because the AI can't do that.
Old October 22, 2002, 00:32   #35
vmxa1
Deity

Seems reasonable to JohnM2433. Unless you never have to go to the phone, table, toilet.
Old October 22, 2002, 00:49   #36
Playa del Carmen
Warlord

I don't cheat often. Least not as far as reloading and such goes. If I declare war and I start losing big time, even if I've been in that particular game for a long long time and have invested a lot of my time in it, I'll just abandon it and start a new game. Needless to say, I don't finish many games.
Old October 22, 2002, 04:30   #37
georges bonbon
Warlord

Local Time: 09:39
Quote:
Originally posted by WarpStorm
Because of this I may lose more often than some.
What are your averages? How many times do you start a game and how many times can you finish it?
Old October 22, 2002, 04:33   #38
georges bonbon
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by vondrack
OTOH, I quite often quit a game, if it is not going well for me...
Averages of "quite often"?
Old October 22, 2002, 04:36   #39
georges bonbon
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuberski
The closest I come to cheating is reloading if planting a spy makes the other Civ declare war. That just annoys me for some reason.
I really wonder if we are the only ones.
Old October 22, 2002, 04:38   #40
georges bonbon
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by LordAzreal
If anything, I'd restart.
So what did you vote?
Old October 22, 2002, 05:12   #41
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 10:39
Quote:
Originally posted by georges bonbon
Quote:
Originally posted by vondrack
OTOH, I quite often quit a game, if it is not going well for me... but I never restart the same map. I simply start a new game...
Averages of "quite often"?
In the very beginning, it was like 9 out of 10 games... The AI kept beating me over and over on Regent... After learning a lot by trial and error and by following the discussions here, I moved to Monarch and now, I guess it is about every other or every third game that I quit because of not enjoying it as much as I would wish (it does not necessarily mean I am losing... just that the game is not as much fun as I would like... usually, it is because of the map... often, it is because I leave the game for two or three weeks and when I come back I can't remember what my plans once were... and the... "emotional tie" to that very game is broken... ).

Unfortunately, I don't have that much time to play Civ3 last months... I started my last game more than a month ago and it's still not finished... four-five hours a week is way too little...
Old October 22, 2002, 05:27   #42
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

If you mean reloading when I do something stupid, way too often, I'm trying to quit.
Old October 22, 2002, 10:42   #43
Crostoneman
Chieftain

I don't cheat...much, but I do remember being drunk one day and getting ticked off by the constant state of warfare my empire was in. I just survived two wars only to get the Zulus and the Persians declare war on me and reduce me to a 1 city despot. I edited the game so I can get a nuclear bomb at the begining of the game. In the new game, the Zulus still declared war on me, but their religious leader will always talk about the evil demon that came from the sky and torched their previous capital.
Old October 22, 2002, 10:59   #44
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 06:39
Quote:
Originally posted by Crostoneman
I don't cheat...much, but I do remember being drunk one day and getting ticked off by the constant state of warfare my empire was in.
Once I played Civ3 when I was completely drunk and I got involved in so many wars that my empire was in a constant state of rebellion. I kept looking at my burning cities and I said to myself: "hey you morons, we have to domitate... I mean donimate... er... dominate... hic!... the world".
Old October 22, 2002, 11:45   #45
Randolph
Civilization III Democracy GameC4DG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityPtWDG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

Local Time: 04:39
I'll only reload if I "Know I'm going to lose the game", but I don't really consider this Cheating because I'm excepting that I lost, but going back to see if I can "Do it right". I think this is a good way to improve.
Old October 22, 2002, 11:53   #46
georges bonbon
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Randolph
I'll only reload if I "Know I'm going to lose the game", but I don't really consider this Cheating because I'm excepting that I lost, but going back to see if I can "Do it right".
Sure, this is no cheating, I hope you have voted "I never cheat".
Old October 22, 2002, 14:11   #47
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 02:39
I will reload from autosave if I miskey and if I can replay the turn without changing any moves up until the rekey -- i.e., happens more often in the early game when I accidentally send a unit off a roaded tile and there are few enough units that I can replay the turn in the exact same way as I originally did. "Miskeying" does not include moving a unit and then seeing something that makes me rethink my intended move.

I also occasionally reload from autosave even if I can't be sure of mimicking my original move pattern. This happens when I leave the game to get something to drink / go the bathroom / deal with a baby and I return to either find the AI has gone through its turn or my units have been moved somehow, or even if, without other damning evidence, my 4-year old (who likes to fiddle with the computer while his dad is away) just looks too darn suspicious when I return. I have learned this the hard way .

Catt
Old October 22, 2002, 16:17   #48
Carver
Prince

I cheat less than once an hour, so that probably comes to 5-10 times per game.
Old October 22, 2002, 16:29   #49
metalhead
Warlord

I can't reload unless it is some REALLY egregious error on my part, and now it has been about 4 or 5 games since I've had to. Even if I wanted to, the 2 or 3 minutes it takes to load a game is WAY to trying on my patience to do on a regular basis.
Old October 22, 2002, 17:00   #50
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Carver
I cheat less than once an hour, so that probably comes to 5-10 times per game.
Wow your game only take 5 to 10 hours?
Old October 22, 2002, 18:13   #51
CiverDan
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Lux InvictaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Roleplay
Prince

I never cheat (i.e. reload guddy hut/ battles etc.) I do restart a lot ff i have a bad start position
Old October 22, 2002, 18:47   #52
sun_tzu_159
Chieftain

I have never cheated.
I do replay lost games from a point in a game where I think the 'turning point of history' was that made me lose and replay it from there to see if I can make some other moves to make a difference.
Also if a game is in a really hopeless position late on I have quit to restart with another map and just abandon that game.

Regards
Sun_Tzu
Old October 22, 2002, 19:34   #53
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Sometimes I hit the wrong key on the numberpad and send a unit to the wrong square. I've been known to re-do that turn. Is that cheating?
Old October 22, 2002, 20:24   #54
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
Sometimes I hit the wrong key on the numberpad and send a unit to the wrong square. I've been known to re-do that turn. Is that cheating?
Yes, come get your whuppin'.
Old October 22, 2002, 23:48   #55
MosesPresley
Prince

I don't cheat, I mod.
"In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
—Orson Welles as Harry Lime
Old October 23, 2002, 00:05   #56
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MosesPresley
I don't cheat, I mod.
Yes, exactly. My Exp/Mil/Rel/Comm/Scientific Sleepy Civ is an accurate reflection of its historical standing and thus the modding should not be considered a cheat. That and the unit, the "reckless driver" is accurately represented as a 10/3/3 replacement for the horseman.

Move along folks, no cheating to be seen here.
Old October 23, 2002, 05:20   #57
Gunter
Warlord

How could you have fun cheating?

You must be attentive even pressing wrong keys,it's like a real tank fired hitting the wrong key,it's a part of real life and should be simulated on CIV3 too,IMHO.

-----------The only reloads I do is when I walked away from the game for awhile and come back and forgot to do something I intended to do. This is one of the bugabos of computers, you can fail to rememers things you normally would.--------by vmxa1

This could be allowed,but only on critical cases.

Gunter
Old October 23, 2002, 05:21   #58
Gunter
Warlord

---------I do restart a lot ff i have a bad start position-----------

Mee too.

Gunter
Old October 23, 2002, 08:14   #59
Beren
Warlord

I usually don't cheat. Only if I made a completely foolish decision. Like attacking other countries while I am in too much war already. But that doesn't happen often. I only go to war with some one when I finished the rest off or when I know I can have a little more war. And most of the time I just try to piss them off, so they declare war on me. (If you have a large empire, wait till they pass through your territory and then ask them to buzz off.)
Old October 23, 2002, 08:33   #60
Stuie
King

I never reload; if I screw something up or forget to change a setting etc., I just deal with it. Often it makes the game more interesting that way.