Old October 24, 2002, 02:43   #1
night crawler
Settler

Local Time: 06:47
Local Date: November 1, 2010
audio problems
I recently installed a copy of Alph Centauri and it works great except for the sound. When a new tech is discovered the voice audio is distorted and staticy. Anyone know how to correct this?
Old October 25, 2002, 01:17   #2
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 02:47
Someone claimed they had a "dsd" entry in the ini file, but my ini file has no such thing. So I don't know what the entry would be, or how it might be changed to eliminate the echoing or other probs.
Old October 25, 2002, 19:56   #3
Andemagne
Civilization II MultiplayerNationStatesCivilization II Succession GamesACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 11:47
I have encountered audio problems with SMAX. every thing is ok when I was playing SMAC, but then I installed SMAX and now every time a tech is discovered the voice is low(I mean I can't hear it). turning up the volume haven't do any good.
Old October 26, 2002, 10:49   #4
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 05:47
You might want to try editing the .ini file so eax=1 is eax=0.

I don't know if this will work, but its all I know to do.

Sorry I'm dumb
Old October 28, 2002, 04:44   #5
gwillybj
Prince

Local Time: 05:47
Location: Eurytion Mining Camp: 100°C dayside, 100°F nightside.
This post may contain nothing of any use.
I have both of these in my Alpha Centauri.ini:
ds3d=1
eax=1
The program put them there, I have not touched them.

What follows is stuff I've culled from several forums wherein people have asked for help with issues similar to those raised in this thread. I am not a techie by any stretch of imagination I'm only passing along what others have suggested. If none of this is any help I'm sorry.

For those with distorted sound:
Most often, the first thing I've read in responses to this issue in several forums is: "Are your audio card drivers updated?" If that is all set, you can try adding either or both of the two lines I noted above (both were already mentioned by Straybow and Anunikoba) anywhere in the first section under [Alpha Centauri]. In mine they are the third and fourth lines. Try the various possible combinations until one works: (0/0), (0/1), (1/0), (1/1). Also try with one or both deleted. If none of these changes helps, put everything back as it was before you started. Something else is the cause. You did remember to make note of the original settings, right?

For those with volume issues:
A few lines farther down are these four entries:
Main Volume=127
Voice Volume=127
Music Volume=63
SFX Volume=127
These are all accessible from within the game in the Audio Preferences part of the Main Menu. 127 is the maximum. I have the Music down because I usually have other tunes playing in the room but I still want to hear the event-triggered themes. If these are in your .ini, are any of them set to zero?

A related item which may or may not be of interest to anyone:
The other day I took the case off my system to clean out the cobbies and fuzz - something I've been in the habit of doing a couple times a year. I unplugged my headset/microphone before opening the case because the cord was in the way. I didn't bother to reconnect it when I was done because I haven't used it for at least a year. Now all the sounds from the speakers are cleaner than with the headset attached, but the SMAC in-game sounds are most noticeably crisper and louder