Old October 24, 2002, 14:28   #1
ducki
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 03:48
Local Date: November 1, 2010
New use for _Extra_ Workers in the Late Game?
If someone's already detailed this, I haven't seen it, so excuse me if so.

Late in the game, I find I have far more workers than I need, even when pollution strikes in 3 or 4 places at once - I'm able to get it all cleaned up on the same turn AND still have workers twiddling their thumbs...

So what do I do with them?

Here's a thought.

When you capture a city you don't really want or need, but want to mess with a rival, how about starving/reducing the native laborers and dropping in a bunch of your own nationality workers(Join City).

Then, give it away.
The city.

Especially if you can give it away to someone not "next door".

I think this would let them blow a few turns working on the city and then, since they are all citizens of your Civ, they'll flip back to you.

If you have high enough overall culture as well as some nearby.

What do you think? Worthless blathering or worth testing?
Old October 24, 2002, 14:56   #2
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 02:48
Unfortunately, when you give a city away the citizens magically and instantaneously convert to the nationality of the civ to whom the city was gifted. And I'm not sure the "gift and recapture via culture" tactic nets you anything -- the AI in my experience is unlikely to spend its treasury rushing anything in the city, so, from the time you gift it until the time it flips back, the most likely course of events is: (1) AI collects one gold per turn (corruption); (2) some of "your" citizens may starve due to 9-tile radius and need for entertainers; (3) the AI may draft and/or pop-rush, causing lasting unhapiness; and (4) you eventually end up with a smaller, more unhappy city than when you first gifted it. In other words, I don't think the AI will do anything extraordinary to "build up" the city -- it will just rely on the city's own local abilities (1 shield per turn) to build what the city needs.

Creative idea, though.

In earlier, pre-patch versions of the game, your tactic was a powerful exploit because the AI were permitted to buy cities. Players would build a city near their capitol, hemmed in by culture; sell it for big $$$ to the AI; flip it back pretty quickly; and sell it again. Rinse, repeat. No longer possible to sell or trade cities.

Catt
Old October 24, 2002, 15:00   #3
ducki
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 03:48
Darn. I thought I was onto something.

And I was really hoping to find something to do with all those workers aside from "Disband" - I sure don't need the population. /shudder
Old October 24, 2002, 15:08   #4
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Local Time: 10:48
Use your nukes and turn the whole world to desert, then use foreign workers to populate your cities again while the others turn into dust!
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old October 24, 2002, 15:51   #5
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 05:48
I add all workers of my nationality to my cities once the RRing is done. The slaves deal with pollution control. If I have more of them than I need, I'll add them to cities as well.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old October 24, 2002, 16:20   #6
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

After RR is done I will keep a core of worker for cleanup and any continued improvement (mainly in newly acquired lands). The remainder can be 1) added to cities 2) disband for shields 3) sold, each makes sense at different times and I may ended up doing all three. One thing I like to do is use up my workers and keep only captured workers, they are free, you just need twice as many.
Old October 24, 2002, 16:52   #7
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 04:48
If I have slaves, I trade them to the other civs (i.e. Japanese worker traded to Iroquois...) The civs get mad when you're using someone of their nationality as slaves, so let them get mad at someone else!! This is great especially when aiming for a diplomatic victory...

--Kon--
Old October 24, 2002, 20:26   #8
MyOlde
Prince

Local Time: 09:48
Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
I add all workers of my nationality to my cities once the RRing is done. The slaves deal with pollution control. If I have more of them than I need, I'll add them to cities as well.

-Arrian
Arrian, why would you not do it the other way around: add the slaves to your cities and save the better workers (your own nationality) for pollution control? They'll do the job faster.
Old October 24, 2002, 21:26   #9
vmxa1
Deity

Because his workers cost him money each day, slaves cost nothing. The speed is irrelevant, you just use more of them. If the job takes 4 of mine, use 8 slaves. Adding foriegn nationals to a city could be a disruption. Yes it can be contained in established cities, but they do not workers added anyway.
Old October 24, 2002, 21:53   #10
Random Passerby
Warlord

Local Time: 09:48
If you're not dominating, you can never have too many fortresses; you can get a more powerful neighbor to waste a lot of units trying to pick off a fortified defender manning a border fortress in mountains or even hills, and they won't even bother holding it if they do take it. Moreover, if enemy air power is going to be an issue, you're gonna have to rebuild a whoooole lot of road and railroad near the border.
Old October 25, 2002, 02:00   #11
wilbill
Warlord

When I get tired of Global Warming effects altering my terrain - Global Warming that I didn't cause because my cities are clean - I send spare workers out to clean up the neighbors' mess. Cleaning up some of the mess the filty Babylonians leave around actually can help minimize effects of global warming.

Needless to say I don't do this if the game's close enough that the increased production might help the Babylonians catch me.

Now if there were just a way I could charge them for this service.
Old October 25, 2002, 02:30   #12
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by wilbill
I send spare workers out to clean up the neighbors' mess. Cleaning up some of the mess the filty Babylonians leave around actually can help minimize effects of global warming.
AFAIK that will not affect the global warming. Pollution laying on the ground will eventually destroy improvements on that tile, but are not part of the global warming. To tell you the truth, I do not recall ever even seeing the pollution on the tile doing any damage either, but then I clean mine up ASAP.