Old October 26, 2002, 22:53   #1
Sharpe
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 05:55
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Idea: Multiplayer Players Database for Civ 3
With Civ 3: PTW coming out soon and its variety of game types (regular, elimination, regicide, etc.) and the various "turn" options (turnless, simultaneous, regular) may prove confusing to find players who play the type of game that you want to play.

Maybe we could create a players database on Apolyton where people could put in such information as:

- what level they play at (Regent, Monarch etc.)
- what days they might play
- what times they might play
- their ICQ or email accounts
- what civs they usually play
- what type of game they prefer (regular, regicide etc.)
- what type of turns they prefer (regular, turnless etc.)
- Perhaps even what other games they play
Old October 27, 2002, 00:07   #2
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 09:55
Re: Idea: Multiplayer Players Database for Civ 3
Quote:
Originally posted by Sharpe
With Civ 3: PTW coming out soon and its variety of game types (regular, elimination, regicide, etc.) and the various "turn" options (turnless, simultaneous, regular) may prove confusing to find players who play the type of game that you want to play.

Maybe we could create a players database on Apolyton where people could put in such information as:

- what level they play at (Regent, Monarch etc.)
- what days they might play
- what times they might play
- their ICQ or email accounts
- what civs they usually play
- what type of game they prefer (regular, regicide etc.)
- what type of turns they prefer (regular, turnless etc.)
- Perhaps even what other games they play
Hmm....how about if someone is looking for a game, they simply, uh, post a request....

"Hi, I'm bob. Anyone here that plays Diety with the English? I'd like to play turnless regicide if thats alright....Thanks."

Simple enough. And no extra work is required.
Old October 27, 2002, 03:58   #3
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 04:55
As soon as it's out, I'm sure there will be a forum to support it. All the info you need will be there. Similar to the MP forums for the previous games. People have no problem posting their prefrences and available times.

RAH
Old October 27, 2002, 04:29   #4
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 11:55
I agree with Rah and Tass. The system of using the "Civ3-Multiplaying" forum for game requests is a good way to do it. The ICQ MP system is also something that works (have a look at the ICQ list in the Civ II MP forum). At least I get requests for sessions every now and then, but I usually have to abstain as I'm quite busy. Anyway, the ICQ MP system has been proven to work and the MP forums are also good places to hunt for games.
Old October 28, 2002, 20:39   #5
SlightlyMadman
Warlord

Local Time: 04:55
I've been working on a system similar to this. Its primary function will be for PBEM gaming, but it could certainly be used for keeping a general player database, too. You can add a game to the listing, specify the parameters, and then people will sign up for it. It could keep track of scores, and have a system of peer rating, too.

I'll post back here when I've got a status update on it, probably shortly after PTW is released (once I have a few hours to tear myself away from it), so I can know how PBEM games are going to work, and engineer that part of it, accordingly.

I'll probably be looking for hosting, since it's just sitting on one of my dev boxes right now, which really shouldn't house it permanently.
Old October 29, 2002, 09:42   #6
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 10:55
This isn't a bad idea.....we have something similar in the civ2 MP forum. The thing with posting requests when you want to play is that it can be frustrating.......but maybe less so as civ3 will have more players than civ2 does.
Old October 30, 2002, 00:31   #7
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 05:55
Quote:
Maybe we could create a players database
I think the NRA would oppose this.