Old October 27, 2002, 14:03   #1
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 03:55
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Incredible AI Dedication
Lemme give you some background.

It's past Space Race victory, I'm Persia, I decide just for fun to wipe Egypt off the face of the Earth, they'd been arrogant anyway. I declare war. We both haev so much money and MPPs that we're able to get about 8 more civs into the war. It's turned into WWI for my game. We start sending modern armor all over the place, and our treasuries become dedicated into buying more civs into the war agaisnt the others. Soon Greece is conquering Russia, Babylon's fighting India, I'm fighting India and Egypt, and surprisingly Germany's all quite peaceful. I buy the French a half-world away into war with India.

Two turns later I see a stack of FORTY-THREE French Mech Infantry in India. This says two things:

1) They've been quietly preparing for war for a while;
2) They liked me enough to get all the RoPs together to get to India;
3) 43 MI? Man, that's insane for two turns. What did they do, abandon their city defenses?

If anyone else has some stories of truly marvelous dedication from the AI to your cause, please tell me.

(Note: This was from a Cheiftan game I played a [Edit: LONG] while back.)

Last edited by mrmitchell; October 27, 2002 at 14:16.
Old October 27, 2002, 19:21   #2
sun_tzu_159
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:55
AI with 43 units in one stack - that is amazing. I only see the AI just run all over the place with ten to fifteen max in each stack formation.

The only case where the AI has helped me significantly was when the Americans attacked my northern border with a stack of eight muskets. I sent a plea for help to Indians and French who were neighbours. The French launched a massive attack on the only American city (Atlanta) bordering my territory (luck?) which took the city and cut off the troops coming from America and I could mop up the rest.

As we were allies I sent troops to the north of Atlanta also to help out the French to defend the city against retaking by the enraged Americans. As soon as we weren't allies with US and France making peace the French told me to remove my troops from French territories or declare war - perhaps they could have waited a couple of turns.

Later in the game me (China) and the French teamed against America and India after a right of passage between America and India let American troops attack from Indian territory directly on my capital without warning.

I won on cultural victory with me and France left on map.

Regards
Sun_Tzu
Old October 27, 2002, 20:15   #3
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 02:55
Largest Stack of Doom I have seen (in memory) is 60+ Mech Infantry. I had declared war but had MPPs in place, so I did not attack. They came in with this SoD towards a city without garrison about 10 tiles across a mountain range. I surrounded the SoD with MI in the mountains and dedicated a small bombardment force and Army to reduce it while I used a MA led army (assisted by about 4 nukes) against their reduced defense force. Once their country was gone, I won a cultural.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old October 27, 2002, 20:16   #4
Playa del Carmen
Warlord

Wow, I've NEVER heard of that many AI units in a stack. Most I've seen myself (in a Cheiftain game, no less) was around 12-15 swordsmen.

It's odd to see the AI with a lot of money in a Cheiftain game, too.
Old October 27, 2002, 20:28   #5
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 02:55
Don't worry, in PtW the SoD will rarely be seen. Instead, they will be advancing across a front, so you have to defend EVERYWHERE!
Hopefully they will integrate defensive units with the attackers.

(See my post in page 2 of the "Why do I want PTW?" thread)
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old October 27, 2002, 21:39   #6
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 05:55
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Back in 1.21, I saw SoDs numbering over 100.

Look at the eighth post on this thread page from AU 107... be afraid, be very afraid:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...0&pagenumber=6
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old October 27, 2002, 22:06   #7
miike
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:55
Personally, I have seen two seperate stacks of cavalry, infantry, longbowmen,swordsmen, and various other units. The 2 seperate stacks, had about 80-100 units each. That was not the worst part. The worst part, was that it takes the computer about 2-3 minutes just to move all of those units around. I had a long standing border with my neighbor for the whole game, and after I discovered MA, I declared war on them. Meanwhile, they through pretty much every thing they had at me. I had over 100 MAs, and they still had a larger force then me. At least, that was what the military advisor said. I think, that game was before the current patch though. It took me a few turns, to wipe them out. Using, MAs and MIs that I was using to defend with.
Old October 28, 2002, 11:08   #8
Apolex
Warlord

Local Time: 04:55
The Persians sent 2 stacks of 150+ Tanks/Infantry into my territory in my last game. Unfortunately for them, I had about 250 arties that cut them to swiss cheese, and they were all dead in 2 turns. I think I lost a tank or 2 in the process. Poor stupid AI

- Apolex

(edited typo)
Old October 28, 2002, 11:21   #9
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 11:55
Quote:
Originally posted by Jaybe
Largest Stack of Doom I have seen (in memory) is 60+ Mech Infantry. I had declared war but had MPPs in place, so I did not attack. They came in with this SoD towards a city without garrison about 10 tiles across a mountain range. I surrounded the SoD with MI in the mountains and dedicated a small bombardment force and Army to reduce it while I used a MA led army (assisted by about 4 nukes) against their reduced defense force. Once their country was gone, I won a cultural.
i once had similar case, just smaller (maybe 15 MIs and 10 tanks) - also coming over a 5-tile-wide mountain range. i kicked 'em by bombarding the road in fron and behind them... the MIs couldn't move any more and i could gradually kill one after the other (bombers and artillery to permanently weaken the forces... and sometimes placing a few MIs in the mountain range just ahead of them as soon as MA came they where toast (they were ofcourse under siege and never had more than 2 HPs)
Old October 28, 2002, 12:38   #10
Apolex
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by sabrewolf

i once had similar case, just smaller (maybe 15 MIs and 10 tanks) - also coming over a 5-tile-wide mountain range. i kicked 'em by bombarding the road in fron and behind them... the MIs couldn't move any more and i could gradually kill one after the other (bombers and artillery to permanently weaken the forces... and sometimes placing a few MIs in the mountain range just ahead of them as soon as MA came they where toast (they were ofcourse under siege and never had more than 2 HPs)
That's a cool strat sabrewolf! Never thought of that... trapping them in the mountains with no roads. I wish the AI knew how to effectively use bombardment; it would make invading at least somewhat dangerous. But alas...
Old October 28, 2002, 13:42   #11
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i saw 45 swordsmen/pikemen once, that scared the crap outta me
Old October 28, 2002, 21:23   #12
Minmaster
Warlord

Local Time: 01:55
Quote:
Originally posted by Apolex
The Persians sent 2 stacks of 150+ Tanks/Infantry into my territory in my last game. Unfortunately for them, I had about 250 arties that cut them to swiss cheese, and they were all dead in 2 turns. I think I lost a tank or 2 in the process. Poor stupid AI

- Apolex

(edited typo)
does the AI take into account artillery units when determining your military strength? if not, then they should..
Old October 29, 2002, 00:32   #13
Apolex
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Minmaster

does the AI take into account artillery units when determining your military strength? if not, then they should..
Good question. I would say no based on my experiences. I generally mass-produce artillery as soon as I get replacable parts. By the time I get 100 or more, the AIs have built up their other military units. I notice time after time at this stage, they all start demanding tribute (an indication that they think I'm weak). When I refuse they attack me...... and get slaughtered.

If the artillery IS counted by the AI as military strength, I would say that it doesn't weight it heavily enough.

-Apo
Old October 29, 2002, 02:37   #14
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 11:55
no, only offensive power is counted. defence, bombard and hitpoints are ignored. so even if you have a special unit in every city with 100 HPs and 100 Defence but only 1 Attack, the AI will concider you as weak.
Old October 29, 2002, 03:02   #15
Nenad
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:55
I was atacked once with a stack of 150 french cavalry, but I'm not goin to tell you who won...
Ok, just kidding. They conquered one of my cities, but then somebody else atacked them from their back (with much, much smaller stack), so they pulled entire army off my teritory, leaving only 2-3 units to defend ocupied city. Now, is that stupid or ...?
Old October 29, 2002, 05:31   #16
Aqualung71
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversC3CDG Desolation Row
Emperor

Local Time: 19:55
Well guys....after all that one-upsmanship...........

I used to have to get up in the morning, half and hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of cold gravel for brreakfast, go down mill AND pay mill owner for the privilege of coming to work, and when we got home, our mum and our dad would KILL us and dance about on our grave singing hallelujah!!!!!

Re-Organisation of remaining C3C PBEMS
Old October 29, 2002, 05:33   #17
Aqualung71
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversC3CDG Desolation Row
Emperor

Local Time: 19:55
........and you try telling the young people of today that.......they won't believe you!!! No, they won't!!!!

Hope you are all old enough to remember this!!!!

Re-Organisation of remaining C3C PBEMS
Old October 29, 2002, 10:48   #18
ruby_maser
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Thriller
Yeah, once I got attacked by a column of 3000 modern armors and I only had one lowly pikeman left with just one hit point of life. The first 2000 were slaughtered like cattle. They all came headlong and died bravely on a bloody pike. Then the AI got smart and tried to go around my pikeman, but I said 'hell no!'; I ordered him to chase the remaining 1000 modern armors down, and get medieval on their asses (no pun intended). The pixelated ocean squares actually turned red with the blood of the arrogant, dying SOBs. I got 45 great leaders from the carnage. The end.
"The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country." -- Abraham Lincoln

"Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this ever, in flesh and blood, walked upon this earth." -- Albert Einstein, in regards to Mohandis Gandhi
Old October 29, 2002, 18:06   #19
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Thriller
Man, ruby, that's a baby story.

Once I got attacked by a column of EIGHT thousand Modern Armor, and I only had one Warrior left in my only city left of 1 size population. It was just too funny to see the MA throw themselves against the fist of my Warrior, I had 26 simultaneous heart attacks. When I got back from the hospital with a miraculous full recovery there was only one MA left against my warrior. It was a tough battle. The Warrior lost an HP, then the MA, then the warrior, each down to one point. Then the MA collapsed.

But I wasn't done. I sent that warrior out, and nations fell by its actions alone. The best part was, when there was only one enemy with only one city left in the world and the warrior was down to one HP versus an elite Mech Inf, the warrior pounded that thing into the ground. I had 58 more simultaneous heart attacks and i laughed so hard I ruptured all the walls of my Aorta. (Is that spelt right?)

In the next game I played, all the AI wised up and only used Warrior thru out game for defense and offense. I easily crushed them.

(The most exaggerated part is about the AI wising up, )