Old October 29, 2002, 12:51   #1
Skeeve
Prince

Local Time: 05:59
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The Mark of a True CIV3 Fanatic: Conquest Logs
For me, the High Scores are not enough.

I've created an Excel Spreadsheet that documents each game that I play.

It contains information about the world size, age, climate, etc. What Civ I played and who my opponents were. Whether or not I used standard rules or the editor and if the latter what the scenario filename is.
In addition - every scenario file I create has a .txt file with the same name documenting the changes I've made.

In the last columns are information about how victory was achieved (if at all) and what the final year of play was. I've also inserted comments here and there regarding anything unusual or of special note.

Am I just a totally hopeless Civ3 NUT?
Or do others do something like this, too?

I'd gladly attach an example of my spreadsheet, but I'm at work on lunch hour - so if anyone wants to see it, let me know and I'll try and attach it from home.

- Skeeve
Old October 29, 2002, 13:01   #2
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 12:59
Sounds like an interesting idea, but you're also pretty insane . I do though remember my games pretty well, the spectacular ones, and I save them when the game is won for future reference, in case I want any.
Old October 29, 2002, 13:46   #3
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Some of that data should have been in the hall of fame screen. This file can be edited to see some things like how many in the game and the level. I wanted it to have more data and have field descriptor. It could be useful to know how many players, map size and such and be able to view it without bringing up the game.
By now I have played so many games that they are jumbled up in my memory. The game has been reinstalled so I do not have some of the old history.
I did once make a chart for stats from my Might and Magic VI games. I guess I just did not want to let the game go away at that time and that was a way to let it live on for a bit longer. Actually it is just an enjoyment of stats. That is one of the things that drew me to baseball as a kid (players union killed it later).
Old October 29, 2002, 14:30   #4
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 10:59
Why not go one step further and translate all that info into a civ3 story over on the stories forum, you may be be quite mad but were not fussy over there and we would all be very pleased to have a new writer do some stuff.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old October 29, 2002, 15:06   #5
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 12:59
Because writing a story, IMO, takes much more job .
Old October 29, 2002, 15:08   #6
Purple
Prince

Local Time: 04:59
After my first hundred or so "practice" games , I deleted all the entries in my High Scores file and began over, and I started saving my wins in a separate folder. I saved the first and last turns, plus the 10 A.D. save file (or the year closest to that when I forgot to save that turn).

I also created an .rtf file based on the High Scores file, but with extra information such as you mentioned, but not that extensive. A spreadsheet sounds like a better way to do this, though.
Old October 29, 2002, 15:36   #7
vmxa1
Deity

Writing a story takes a different set of skills, than just making notes of some data. I did the same as you Purple for my old Moo2 games.
Old October 29, 2002, 16:29   #8
Gangerolf
Prince

Old October 29, 2002, 17:44   #9
gsmoove23
Warlord

Local Time: 09:59
Stats, I loove stats. I always wished the demographics screen was a little deeper. There's nothing I like more then a niiice line graph or even better a pie chart(mmmm pie). It would be cool if we could have some sort of comparative threads here, for instance as a builder I always wonder how large warmongers get their armies, or how much resources and luxuries the average player has by the Middle Ages, the Industrial age. Stupid stuff like that. It would be cool to see what other peoples games are like. Please post your stats!!
Old October 30, 2002, 13:52   #10
Skeeve
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisiusMaximus
Why not go one step further and translate all that info into a civ3 story over on the stories forum, you may be be quite mad but were not fussy over there and we would all be very pleased to have a new writer do some stuff.
Actually, I like that sort of thing, but my time is quite limited since I'm taking MBA classes at night and have homework and such. However, once this is all over in June, then perhaps I'll give that a try.
Old October 30, 2002, 14:11   #11
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 11:59
Whatever phycic desease you have Skeeve, you have also made an awful lot of time available in some way!
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old October 30, 2002, 14:44   #12
Skeeve
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Nikolai
Whatever phycic desease you have Skeeve, you have also made an awful lot of time available in some way!
Yep, you've got a point alright.
I guess when it comes to CIV 3, there's always time!
Old October 30, 2002, 15:18   #13
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 11:59
I see that...
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old October 30, 2002, 16:13   #14
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

I'm with Skeeve, I'd love this!
Old October 30, 2002, 18:06   #15
SanPellegrino
Civilization III PBEM
Warlord

I 'm just too lazy for this, but I got a huge collection of my civ savegames (too bad you can't load prepatch savs). I even saved my civ2 games, when I got a new comp a year ago and copied them on my HD again.

Hey, and believe it or not somewhere I got a 5,25"-Floppy Disk with my best civ1 games from my 386 nearly ten years ago, too bad I don't have a slot anymore...

A game which I played for hours and hours is a piece of art to me

THAT you can call insane
Old October 30, 2002, 18:53   #16
vmxa1
Deity

I have been known to brn that stuff of to a dvd or a cd. I do not even have a 3.5 on my current box. Everything put to CD.
Old October 30, 2002, 19:01   #17
wilbill
Warlord

Skeeve, you'd get along well with my old college buddy, Bob. He has the scorecard of every major and minor league baseball game he's ever attended - hundreds of them - indexed both chronologically and by team. He plays Avalon Hill type war/board games and keeps a log of who won and what units were destroyed ("3d Guards Armored destroyed at Kursk 20/11/43 by 2nd SS Panzer")

I'm not going to introduce him to MP Civ 3 because he'd drive everyone crazy with statistics.

Is "anal retentive" hyphenated?
Old October 31, 2002, 05:40   #18
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

erm... ah-na-hl-re-ten-ta-ti-t-v-e

there you go.

get this: I have a folder with print out like civ unit stats, Heroes of M&M, Panzer Generals and the like. And do you know what's still in there? A hand drawn map of the worlds of King's Quest 1, 2 and 3!

Talk about retro, my tandy1000sl still has those games on it! (even though the poor thing is in my closet.) I wouldn't be surprise if my saved games are on it too.
Old October 31, 2002, 10:21   #19
SanPellegrino
Civilization III PBEM
Warlord

Tandy? I guess my grandpa told me about it
Old October 31, 2002, 13:32   #20
vmxa1
Deity

Was it the 286 at Tandy that had DOS?
Old October 31, 2002, 13:44   #21
SanPellegrino
Civilization III PBEM
Warlord

yes, I guess Tandy is from the 086/088 era, don't know about the 286. I only remember my 386 having 60 MB HD, and that was MUCH at this time

Oh, we're getting old talking about glory days
Old October 31, 2002, 14:00   #22
Skeeve
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by wilbill
Skeeve, you'd get along well with my old college buddy, Bob. He has the scorecard of every major and minor league baseball game he's ever attended - hundreds of them - indexed both chronologically and by team. He plays Avalon Hill type war/board games and keeps a log of who won and what units were destroyed ("3d Guards Armored destroyed at Kursk 20/11/43 by 2nd SS Panzer")

I'm not going to introduce him to MP Civ 3 because he'd drive everyone crazy with statistics.

Is "anal retentive" hyphenated?
I know someone like that, too. I'm not one to go that far, but I can come pretty close. For example, when Star Control II first came out, I set out to catalog every single one of the 3000+ planets by Star Coordinate, Weather, Atmosphere, Mass, Axial Tilt, etc.

Then the Internet came and sure enough someone already had completed the job. I believe that this web site: http://www.classicgaming.com/starcontrol/ still has access to all that information.

*Sigh* those pre-internet days....
Old October 31, 2002, 14:07   #23
Skeeve
Prince

Wilbill,

I forgot to ask in my last post, does your friend Bob remember playing an Avalon Hill game called Wizard's Quest??

That was one of my all time favorites - came out over 20 years ago! I played it in 8th grade (1981), and even tried writing a BASIC program in high school to try and simplify some of the arduous dice rolling.

I wonder if someone tried creating a PC version of the game?
Old October 31, 2002, 15:04   #24
aahz_capone
Prince

Well on my tandy there was MS DOS as well as a very wierd form of windows, with one game, hangamn, which is still the best programmed computer hangman game I've played to date.

Don't even get me started on how those youngens with thier PS2 and Xbox think they know what gaming is when I remeber the Master System/NES war. Still have my NES and use it, damnit! (Next too my NGC and PentIII ) Hell, I had to learn from scratch, and I GOT ON MY KNEES and thanked God for the upgrade from monochrome to 4 colors! Now these kids getting born into the easy life of 16bil colors and after Commoder gave the gloves over to ...

ah, what the hell....
Old October 31, 2002, 15:27   #25
Skeeve
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by aahz_capone
Hell, I had to learn from scratch, and I GOT ON MY KNEES and thanked God for the upgrade from monochrome to 4 colors! Now these kids getting born into the easy life of 16bil colors and after Commoder gave the gloves over to ...

ah, what the hell....

Indeed, you speak the truth Aahz!
I can remember playing Zork on my buddy's Apple II which was monochrome Green.

Oh, those were the days. 'Dem kids don't know what they got today.

- Skeeve.
Old October 31, 2002, 16:23   #26
SanPellegrino
Civilization III PBEM
Warlord

That's why we play turn-based, our reactions are just too bad for the new shooter stuff
Old October 31, 2002, 17:47   #27
vmxa1
Deity

Worse than that, I get dizzy and had to stop back on Quake 3.
Old November 1, 2002, 01:33   #28
wilbill
Warlord

Quote:
I forgot to ask in my last post, does your friend Bob remember playing an Avalon Hill game called Wizard's Quest??

That was one of my all time favorites - came out over 20 years ago! I played it in 8th grade (1981), and even tried writing a BASIC program in high school to try and simplify some of the arduous dice rolling.

I wonder if someone tried creating a PC version of the game?
I doubt he ever played it. At that time (too many years ago to mention) he was introducing me to the early AH games such as Stalingrad, Guadalcanal, Waterloo, etc. We both nearly flunked out of college because of those babies. Even a few years before that, when I was in 8th or 9th grade, I briefly played the original AH wargame called "Tactics II" - very primitive.

I wrote a dice rolling program for my first computer - a Sinclair ZX80. Which I still have, BTW.
Old November 1, 2002, 10:07   #29
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Weirdos

Have to admit that I alwas kept paper-logs of my original civ-games...I still make the odd note on civ3 games to keep track of 'interesting' stuff.