Old October 30, 2002, 11:44   #1
Traelin
Prince

Local Time: 05:01
Local Date: November 1, 2010
REALLY strange...
OK this is absolutely the first time this has happened to me. Last night I was in the beginning of the Middle Ages. I had the GL and had just discovered Engineering and Feudalism.

I had started a worldwide alliance against the Babylonians. Eventually they proceeded to occupy a Persian city, which the Persians then recaptured, and which the Babylonians proceeded to raze on the next turn. Well after the city was razed, I noticed that a Railroad was directly on the old city location. That wouldn't have been weird, except that NOONE in the world was beyond Invention! And yes I know this, because I eventually got Invention from the GL and used an F4 to check every single Civ's techs. Not one of them had a tech beyond me.

So how in the heck does a Railroad appear in the beginning of the Middle Ages???
Old October 30, 2002, 11:57   #2
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 11:01
Happened to me at times... it is perhaps a small glitch in the implementation... any city is immediately upgraded with roads AND railroads as soon as you found it, be it in 4000BC or 2049AD. Dunno why, but it's that way, I believe. Usually, it does not matter, as the railroad grants cities no bonus (unless there are adjacent RR tiles, in which case it grants the tile a movement bonus), but when your city gets razed... IIRC, abandoning a city correctly removes all tile improvements granted to a city for free, but razing does not... leaves roads & RRs, which may not be intention...

Funny, thinking about this, it might be possible to build a railroad track even in the ancient times... just keep founding cities along the planned route and have them razed by an opponent of yours...
Old October 30, 2002, 12:49   #3
planetfall
Prince

Local Time: 03:01
Caution-- F4 will only show the bottom techs you don't have and will not follow up the tree.

However your situation seems to be a bug.

-- PF
Old October 30, 2002, 15:27   #4
Traelin
Prince

Local Time: 05:01
Quote:
Originally posted by planetfall
Caution-- F4 will only show the bottom techs you don't have and will not follow up the tree.

However your situation seems to be a bug.

-- PF
No but I went to see the list of techs that we could trade with each other, and they had nothing to trade to me. I could sometimes trade them techs though.
Old October 30, 2002, 16:12   #5
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 06:01
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
This is a bug. I mentioned it on a chat a long time ago, and I think Mike B said he'd look itno it, but it was never addressed.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old October 30, 2002, 22:54   #6
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 06:01
Whenever I see one of those I pillage em. I can just imagine my troops going ape**** on it, thinkig that it is witchcraft or something.

I have to try the ancient RR
Old October 31, 2002, 02:50   #7
miike
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:01
That happens to me all the time. I think that whenever any civ enters that particular tech era, the game automatically, thinks that the cities are built on Railroad. Also, if that particular tile did not have RR on it, then when you build RR up to it, it would not connect the city. Anyways, that is what I think it is.