Old November 1, 2002, 08:05   #1
Raioth
Settler

Local Time: 10:13
Local Date: November 1, 2010
My Initial Review
Finally, after more than a year after the release of Civ III with this add-on I expected the game to be as complete as it should have been the first time around. We can finally make real scenarios and play multiplayer, so I thought.

Since I've had the game, I've experienced nothing but crashes and I haven't even tried the multiplayer yet. The scenario building tools still seem weak and no where near as diverse as Civ II.

Alot of the 'scenarios' they give you with the game aren't scenarios at all. They all seem to be tile sets and custom maps ripped off of this website and other fan sites. There's no documentation for any of the new Editor stuff they give you and many of the scenarios don't even have descriptions in the game. It's been all trial and error and frustrating crashes that lead to nasty error messages and reboots.

As far as the multiplayer goes, well, apparently that's pretty useless. It seems they're using Gamespy for it, a program I won't touch or ever install on my computer ever again. It's nothing more than a peice of commercial dung, as far as I'm concerned, causes crashes and is basically taking over everything, including a once beloved Roger Wilco for voice communication. If you're going to do something real with multiplayer don't use a program that is a commercial first and a multiplayer link second.

They did correct several glaring errors in the patch and with PTW (Like map wrapping, city and unit placement, civ specific starting positions and several others).

Another nice half-assed attempt to get a unfinished product out in time for Christmas whose work was borrowed largely from the people who have contributed to sites like this.

Speaking of this site, the new changes made to these forums suck and even logged in, I can't switch pages. it keeps me on the first page always.
Old November 1, 2002, 08:08   #2
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

Local Time: 12:13
[q]If you're going to do something real with multiplayer don't use a program that is a commercial first and a multiplayer link second.[q]

Meanwhile I keep on searching for a car that initially has been build to satisfy me and not to make money.
Old November 1, 2002, 08:29   #3
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Speaking of this site, the new changes made to these forums suck and even logged in, I can't switch pages. it keeps me on the first page always.
hmmm are you talking about apolyton? what do you mean by being kept on the first page always?

cybershy,
the first goal of all companies are to serve people
dont you read their mission statements?
Old November 1, 2002, 10:08   #4
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 05:13
Do I detect a hint of (unexpected) sarcasm toward certain Game producers?
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old November 1, 2002, 10:17   #5
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

are you talking about my (general, not referring to anyone) post?

one way or the other, last time i checked more or less everybody works first of all in order to feed himself and his family. that requires a steady work enviroment, e.g. companies whose first objective is to make money. so asking from companies not make products in a way that would bring them profit is dillusional
Old November 1, 2002, 10:22   #6
Robert Plomp
admin
Administrator

Quote:
the first goal of all companies are to serve people
dont you read their mission statements?
Sometimes you feel their disgust about the fact they have to make profit while they would prefer it to give it away for nothing! But, that's against the laws of capitalism, and you know how strict the judges are if you break them!

Speaking about 'poly, the flag above the avators is no sight. But again, your purpose is not to satisfy people, but just to make plain profit. I like that! Keep the flag up there, it will annoy me in a gigantic way and it will for sure force me to buy 'poly stuff.
Old November 1, 2002, 10:27   #7
AlrightyThen
Warlord

Local Time: 10:13
Quote:
Meanwhile I keep on searching for a car that initially has been build to satisfy me and not to make money.
Actually the joke is that corporations know they have people like you so SNOWED because you won't demand quality in return for your money.

So whose the real sucker? The guy who expects more and gets less, or the guy who is willing to shell out for stuff he knows (or suspects) will be 2nd-best, because he - as the customer - is not taken seriously?

Old November 1, 2002, 10:30   #8
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 05:13
Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
are you talking about my (general, not referring to anyone) post?

one way or the other, last time i checked more or less everybody works first of all in order to feed himself and his family. that requires a steady work enviroment, e.g. companies whose first objective is to make money. so asking from companies not make products in a way that would bring them profit is dillusional
But how do you provide a 'stable' work environment? Of course companies exist in order to make a profit. The question here is one of short term vs long term profit. If companies consistently supply products that are poorly made then ultimately they will not succeed. Eventually people will go somewhere else. I think if the MP probs are not fixed (and I'm not sure they can be with gamespy) then Firaxis will lose many loyal customers.

In any case I still think I've detected some sarcastic comments
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old November 1, 2002, 10:32   #9
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Speaking about 'poly, the flag above the avators is no sight. But again, your purpose is not to satisfy people, but just to make plain profit. I like that! Keep the flag up there, it will annoy me in a gigantic way and it will for sure force me to buy 'poly stuff.
we did a survey and the results showed that people who had flag exactly underneath their name(and not underneath and a bit to the center as before) were 13.4% more possible to buy apolytonware
Old November 1, 2002, 12:44   #10
Robert Plomp
admin
Administrator

Quote:
we did a survey and the results showed that people who had flag exactly underneath their name(and not underneath and a bit to the center as before) were 13.4% more possible to buy apolytonware
you forgot about the other survey, which showed that people who had the flag next to their avator indeed were less willing to buy polyware, but when they do buy it though, they spend twice as much money!