Old November 3, 2000, 20:20   #1
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 22:50
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Giga map succession game??
Would anyone like to play in a Gigamap succession game? You would have to d/l Julius' 'patch' for MP (now in the ACS database) in order to play - we would like to try :

Deity, 180 * 180 world (32,400 squares), Raging, Bloodlust or AC, 10 player succession

any takers??

the scribes should have a field day of this one...

(SG1 will run the web-site and SG2 the slots etc. if we get going)

Old November 3, 2000, 22:43   #2
jcarkey
Warlord

Local Time: 16:50
Good idea. I don't think that playing a bloodlust game will be very easy on that large of a map. I am not interested in joining though.

------------------
What if the Hokey-Pokey is really what its all about?

Contact me at cpoland@mail.win.org
Old November 4, 2000, 04:39   #3
Julius Brenzaida
King

Location: Currently cleaning the 9000 rooms of Sticky Mouse's Palace
Well,

I am ready to try. But, I think everybody will have to agree to some policy (key wonders, fast expansion or not, size of the cities, key techs, etc) and stick to it. Mixing it up could bring real bad problems. As Jcarkey said, some civs are hard to find on those maps, and if an expansionist and militaristic tribe starts next to some civilized rational one, you can have some bad surprises. In one of my last gigagame, I was playing Prince level and The Russians started on the island next to the Americans, on the other side of the map. By 1400ad Russian Marines were landing on my continent (I was playing perfectionnist) ! I was not used to that at Prince level. The Ai doesn't get smarter, but it has more room to move on !

------------------
Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe
Old November 4, 2000, 07:56   #4
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 18:50
I'd be interested in this one. I think the only one who needs the patch is the first player; everyone else should be OK with standard MGE.
Old November 4, 2000, 16:00   #5
Julius Brenzaida
King

quote:

Originally posted by DaveV on 11-04-2000 06:56 AM
I'd be interested in this one. I think the only one who needs the patch is the first player; everyone else should be OK with standard MGE.

Dave, you are perfectly right. The patch is for creating giga random maps , every MGE user can load the saved files of gigamap games.
But getting the patch is not a bad idea ...

------------------
Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe
Old November 4, 2000, 18:23   #6
Paul
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 23:50
I'm not surprised, you are interested, DaveV. On the giga-map you should be able to bring ICS to the next level. The only problem should be the 255 city limit.

Anyway, I'm also interested.
Old November 4, 2000, 22:35   #7
jcarkey
Warlord

Julius, I know you removed the pop. limit and gold limit, but did you remove the city limit?

------------------
What if the Hokey-Pokey is really what its all about?

Contact me at cpoland@mail.win.org
Old November 5, 2000, 03:55   #8
Julius Brenzaida
King

quote:

Originally posted by jcarkey on 11-04-2000 09:35 PM
Julius, I know you removed the pop. limit and gold limit, but did you remove the city limit?

No, I was not able to do that. Looks like a tough nut to crack ! Many things are linked with each cities, and the number 255 (FF) appears too many times in the programm for anyone to do anything without the help of the original programmers. Sorry, I would have love to get rid of that number of cities limit, but I just can't.

------------------
Old November 5, 2000, 07:03   #9
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

As we have the giga patch - the SGs will start the game. I will make the list in the order of signing up.

Player 1 Scouse Gits
Player 2 Julius
Player 3 DaveV
Player 4 Paul
Player 5 Andemagne
Player 6 Muad'Dib

Player n kcbob

I am playing a giga map at present. The AI is no different, but the size of the world means that the other civs have had more time to develop without human assistance! Expansionist civs build a long away from their capital, and need finding. There is an element of micro-management related to logistics. Efficient transport systems are important. Caravan bonuses are impressive! Trans-continental railroads are useful for troop supply lines. The giga game is good fun!

3 more players needed.
-----------
SG (2)

[This message has been edited by Scouse Gits (edited November 06, 2000).]
Old November 5, 2000, 20:31   #10
kcbob
King

Please put me down for slot number 10. That'll give me time to get the patch tomorrow night. And if I have any problems, it'll give me time to shoot myself.

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old November 5, 2000, 20:34   #11
Seeker
Emperor

Local Time: 17:50
Slight Problem: won't the player who builds MC virtually win by default since he will be able to fill that huge area with tons of cities??
Old November 5, 2000, 20:36   #12
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Fine kcbob you're in - if you read the above you will see that you don't need the patch - your MPGE will do just fine.

EVERYONE - the Web site is up and running see here we have started - not a lot to say in our first twenty turns - two cities founded - end. Julius - you are next up - the game is in the mail or you can get it from the web-site.

Old November 5, 2000, 20:38   #13
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Seeker - you miss the point - this is a Succession game - we each get twentyish turns in turn - would you like to join us?
Old November 5, 2000, 22:36   #14
Seeker
Emperor

Sorry, November is too busy for me as it is, maybe in December.
Old November 6, 2000, 03:17   #15
Andemagne
Civilization II MultiplayerNationStatesCivilization II Succession GamesACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 00:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Andemagne and his Paladins are here
_AGAIN_ to save The Day.

we're in for the GIGAgame.

------------------
"Victrix Fortunae Virtus"
Old November 6, 2000, 03:37   #16
Muad'Dib
Settler

I haven't missed one yet. Just finished my 2.42v turns, story to follow later.

I'll take 7th slot is you please.

------------------
"And his word shall carry
death eternal to those who
stand against righteousness."
Old November 6, 2000, 04:21   #17
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Current state of play ... (6 Nov 10:52 GMT)

Player 1 Scouse Gits - Played
Player 2 Julius - Played
Player 3 DaveV - Played
Player 4 Paul
Player 5 Andemagne
Player 6 Muad'Dib
Player 7 kcbob

Web-site at http://www.stusdomain.org.uk/Succession/

Still room for three more
enjoy

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
"The Great Library must be built!"
"A short cut has to be challenging,
were it not so it would be 'the way'."

[This message has been edited by Scouse Gits (edited November 06, 2000).]
Old November 6, 2000, 07:45   #18
Julius Brenzaida
King

The life of Dictator and then King Julius Brenzaida
* 3000 BC : 60'000 proud citizens from 2 cites see the crowning of Dictator Julius. The army is small but brave and faithful. A warrior has started to explore the vaste territories that should soon be called our land, while another warrior and an archer ensure the peace.
* 2850 BC : Bronze Working is discovered. Julis declares he wants to be king and scientists start searching for monarchy. As the southern part of the land looks a bit cold, the "mighty" warrior heads north.
* 2700 BC : Going north was not the greatest of insight. At least a peninsula rich of whales is discovered. Its name shall be Angria. May some city be once founded there.
* 2450 BC : The warrior is now going westward (no golden rush intended). Dictator Julius builds a few roads because trade is scarce and because with the little cities and the demanding settlers he cannot do as he would like to with the resources. He is quite dumfounded on where he should found new cities. He spends some times watching helplessly the dreadfully incomplete map. This is the sourest of an era, population down to 20'000. But (as they have no choice), they remain faithful.
* 2350 BC : The town of Gazemba is founded. Later, there shall be some wine. Some people go restless. Why not open huts. The question had been in the air for some time. Julius the wise had rightly said that there could be barbarians and that any bad science discovery would delay monarchy. Luckily, nobody noticed that his little roads produced only more money and were quite a waste of 4 turns, ouch. Otherwise revolution would be soon coming. But now at least, there was some hope and need for more of it. If the hut gave some mercenaries they would be alocated to Gazemba and not pressing the already shield shortaged original 2 cites. The situation was bad, the risks not so great. Julius needed a miracle, went for it, and got it. The Gods took pity of us. An advanced tribe, promptly called Guadima, next to a whale. Lady Fortune was all smiling again. All past mistakes are forgotten.
As for now the army is too small. Warriors are needed. Julius the optimistic decides no war should be declared in the near future and disdains phalanxes.
* 2200 BC : The city is Zamorna is founded. Population is up to 90'000 and thanks to the glorious oceans, science rate is high (6 turns). Soon to be king Julius very wisely consults the magical table for the changement of governement. Ouch, we have just missed one. Julius cannot be king before 2050bc. In his last glorious act as Dicator, Julius slows down science in favor of production.
* 2050 BC : With perfect timing, monarchy is discovered, and Julius is immediatly declared King. He decides to look for writing, because no civilization has ever won without it. Currency and mapmaking were also tempting, but Julius told himself that with the glorious science rate, his sucessors could well make their one choices and lead their people in the right direction. The two warriors exploring the land have made their last move under Julius' lightened guidance The kingdom homeland is obviously near the southpole, but it is yet hard to tell if it's large or small. Before his very last pressing of the [next turn] key, King Julius adresses his 90'000 subjects, 4 warriors and 1 archer one last time : "Beloved subjects, faithful soldiers. We have achieved many and more glorious times are ahead. Pray the Gods they should remain our friends and with their help we should rightly rule the world. It is time for me to go now, the rules of age are claiming me, but from the place where I'm going now, I shall always look and cheer for you".

------------------
Old November 6, 2000, 09:12   #19
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

That was fast Julius, well done (but we wanted Currency for Trade and the mighty Marco Polos's Embassy) - such is the fun of this game. Have you sent the save to DaveV his e-mail is on the Gigamap site?? I shall update the site on Wednesday all being well.
Good civin' all

------------------

Old November 6, 2000, 10:05   #20
Julius Brenzaida
King

quote:

Originally posted by Scouse Gits on 11-06-2000 08:12 AM
That was fast Julius, well done (but we wanted Currency for Trade and the mighty Marco Polos's Embassy) - such is the fun of this game. Have you sent the save to DaveV his e-mail is on the Gigamap site?? I shall update the site on Wednesday all being well.
Good civin' all

------------------
Old November 6, 2000, 10:13   #21
Julius Brenzaida
King

quote:

Originally posted by Scouse Gits on 11-06-2000 08:12 AM
Good civin' all

Dear God ! Did I really press the [submit reply] before writing my message. Quite annoying indeed.
Scouse Git, yes, I've sent the saved game to Dave and to you.
Sorry for the currency, it's true that trade is one key of the game. But I was wondering if one should not go for republic, according to the size of the continent, so I chosed (too hastily ?) writing. And besides, I think that with MGE and a gigamap, the Great Library is really Great. I fail to see how to use properly Marco's embassy, with all those hostiles AI.
But now, the game is in someone else's hands. Luckily, as the science rate is good, my "mistake" is not, I hope, too bad. This sucession game is a great idea that makes you think again about your strategies.
I'm looking forward to see what Dave, Paul and the others will do with this game.

------------------
Old November 6, 2000, 14:16   #22
Paul
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

File received. I'll probably play it tomorrow; I don't think I'll have time to play tonight.
Old November 6, 2000, 15:26   #23
kcbob
King

I just read the complete thread ( ) and now realize that I don't have to have the patch. Therefore, please move me up in the food chain to the next available slot. Thanks.

BTW. I think I will go ahead and download the patch. I might want to give a gigamap a whirl over Thanksgiving.

Good luck, all.

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old November 6, 2000, 16:39   #24
Daddy-O
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesC3CDG Team BabylonC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Team Banana
Emperor

is there a gigamap patch for 2.42? I'd love to play.
Old November 6, 2000, 18:55   #25
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Sorry skrobism - no patch for 2.42 yet - any chance of one coming Julius???

Current state of play ... (7 Nov 21:57 GMT)

Player 1 Scouse Gits - Played
Player 2 Julius - Played
Player 3 DaveV - Played
Player 4 Paul - Played
Player 5 Andemagne
Player 6 Muad'Dib
Player 7 kcbob

Web-site at http://www.stusdomain.org.uk/Succession/

enjoy

- Paul Craven

[This message has been edited by Scouse Gits (edited November 07, 2000).]
Old November 7, 2000, 01:54   #26
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 18:50
I have played my turns and sent the game to Paul and SG1. My report:

Our explorers mapped a large bit of our continent, more than doubling our land area. They found a friendly horseman, chariot, and settler in villages. One of our warriors, fleeing from barbarian horsemen, found more horsemen in yet another village. May he rest in peace. Our scientists discovered the mystery of Writing, and strive now for the secret of Currency.

Our explorers encountered a Persian horsemen unit on the land bridge to the southwest. The Persians agreed to exchange knowledge of horseback riding and mysticism for our knowledge of writing and monarchy, and even sweetened the deal with 100 gold pieces. Although we exchanged very good techs for lesser ones, it is hoped that the goodwill engendered by this gesture will compensate for the uneven trade.

Barbarian horsemen roam unchecked on the eastern frontiers. It is hoped that our diplomatic corps can halt their rampaging (and perhaps even engineer the capture of their leader.
Old November 7, 2000, 15:03   #27
Paul
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

The 500 BC save has been sent to Andemagne.

In 1000 BC King Paul took the throne for what would turn out to be a 500 year reign. During this reign our researchers discovered currency and literacy. They are currently directing their efforts towards the discovery of trade.

Our explorers went on to map more unexplored land. During their explorations they met the Zulus, with whom we traded for Warrior Code. They were impressed by our great civilization and offered a tribute of 200 gold.

We trade with the Persians for Map Making and established an embassy.

Ancient ruins contained the lost sciences of construction and iron working. But these ruins were not without danger as two other such ruins were inhabited by barbarian hordes.

Our settlers founded two new cities: Apolytown and Civopolis. Some more settlers are on their way to new city sites.

In 500 BC King Paul died of old age and the throne was taken by his successor King Andemagne.
[This message has been edited by Paul (edited November 07, 2000).]
Old November 8, 2000, 12:12   #28
kcbob
King

quote:

Originally posted by Scouse Gits on 11-06-2000 05:55 PM
enjoy

DaveV and I have been dialoguing in another thread about the number of players/moves. If no one else has signed up before my turn is complete, I'll just loop it back around to Scouse Gits. It might turn out to be more workable with fewer players.

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old November 8, 2000, 15:56   #29
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

I saw the dialogue and would not disagree, but would remind you that this is a Gigamap at Deity, not a large map at King - taking fewer turns when appropriate seems fine to me too - note on the web-site I do say play as many as you like, but not more than twenty ...

------------------

- Paul Craven
Old November 8, 2000, 16:14   #30
kcbob
King

I'm looking forward to the Deity aspect. I think the King level in the first game was a bit soft. But having never played a gigamap before, what can I look forward to in that? Anything to keep in mind during the decision making progress or should I play it straight?

I'm guessing that even if we go ICS, we'll still have to shoot for AC because of the distances required to travel and conquer the AIs.

------------------
Frodo lives!
[This message has been edited by kcbob (edited November 08, 2000).]
[This message has been edited by kcbob (edited November 08, 2000).]