Old November 2, 2002, 11:59   #1
Elowan
Warlord

Local Time: 03:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Resource depletion.
Perhaps it's my imagination but since 1.29f - my roaded resources seem to run out faster.

Is there anyway to slow down this process and still have the resource available?
Old November 2, 2002, 15:14   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:16
Only two ways I know of. 1- do not road it until it is needed 2- use the editor to make them never exhaust.
Old November 2, 2002, 18:04   #3
cracker
Warlord

It is your imagination.

Vmxa1 is correct, don't hook up the resources until you need them.

This also is another reason not to use automated workers. The idiot workers will hook up 17 copies of the same resource as one of their first priorities even if all the units the resource can build are technically obsolete.

Also, get more territory. Even if the resource evaporates, it reappears somewhere in the world on exactly the same turn and when you control a large portion of the world you usually just get it right back at a new location.
Old November 2, 2002, 18:23   #4
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Not roading a resource doesn;t mean not working it, btw... I will often mine but not road Iron.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old November 2, 2002, 19:00   #5
vmxa1
Deity

Good point Theseus.
Old November 3, 2002, 01:06   #6
Elowan
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
Not roading a resource doesn;t mean not working it, btw... I will often mine but not road Iron.
So mining it - if within the 'city limits - will get you the resource?
Old November 3, 2002, 01:58   #7
cracker
Warlord

Nope, you don't get the use of the resource unless you hook it up with a road.

Theseus is just indication you can assign a citizen to "work" on the square and assign a worker to build a mine there so you get the most shields and cash out of the square.

It has been some time, but once I played a diety game with only one oil and one aluminum and never had them vanish. I would assign all the build queues to build something that could accumulate shields and then every 3 or 4 turns I would assign a stack of worker plus some military unit to stand on the resources. I would hook up the road, change all the build quese to build modern armor and cruise missiles and then have my military unit in the road crew pillage the road away before the turn could end and recognize that the resource was in use. I can't prove if this was just coincidence, but the resources never depleted even though I only had one and built well over 100 units over the space of 40 or 50 turns.
Old November 3, 2002, 02:20   #8
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
That's dedication.

Elowan, my point was that you can still get benefits (in the case of Iron, mucho extra shields) from working a tile with a resource, even if you don;t road and connect it.

Still perplexed by your Warrior upgrade problem... can you post a SAV?
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old November 3, 2002, 02:36   #9
vmxa1
Deity

My understanding is that the build road and then pillage does not impact its exhaustion. It has been stated that once the road has been connnected the flag is set and it could go away regardless of the connection after that. Mind you, I do not know if that is really the case. IOW the only safe bet is to not connect. I do not sweat it as I figure I will get it back some where or take it or trade.
Old November 3, 2002, 13:45   #10
Demerzel
Warlord

Local Time: 10:16
Quote:
Originally posted by cracker
It has been some time, but once I played a diety game with only one oil and one aluminum and never had them vanish. I would assign all the build queues to build something that could accumulate shields and then every 3 or 4 turns I would assign a stack of worker plus some military unit to stand on the resources. I would hook up the road, change all the build quese to build modern armor and cruise missiles and then have my military unit in the road crew pillage the road away before the turn could end and recognize that the resource was in use. I can't prove if this was just coincidence, but the resources never depleted even though I only had one and built well over 100 units over the space of 40 or 50 turns.
I'm sorry but that's just insane. I can't imagine myself doing that for even one turn let alone 40 or 50. I think I'd prefer to watch paint dry whilst being tortured by a particulary unpleasant welshman whilst being forced to listen to enya.
Old November 4, 2002, 06:37   #11
Laertes
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 10:16
I have been using the "do not road till you need it" tactic, especially for iron.

However I have noticed people that trade resources quite a lot - do the benefits of trading outweigh the risk of running out.

ALso - what happens if the resource runs out mid trade deal?
Old November 4, 2002, 14:47   #12
vmxa1
Deity

I tend not to worry about running out as they figure to come back if you have a large empire. I do not trade resources very often.
If it runs out during the trade you will take a hit to your reputation. Anything that prevent you from meeting your agreement will be a hit.