Old November 5, 2002, 05:13   #1
Bromley
Settler

Local Time: 10:24
Local Date: November 1, 2010
[Sorry, seems that the OP got eaten.]

I thought I'd have another look at Civ3 as they are bound to have fixed the inability to start civs in the correct area of a world map since 1.16f. Right?

Having searched the boards here, I couldn't find anything on it (I did try, honest ). I patched up my game to 1.29f and had the Romans starting in North America on the supplied map, so I guess they haven't fixed it on their own scenarios.

So, what's the situation if I want to play historical start locations? Thanks in advance.
Old November 5, 2002, 13:50   #2
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 06:24
If you go into the editor, there's an option if you right-click each starting location to "Reassign" it. Choose which civ you want to play at that location, and voila, problem solved.
Old November 5, 2002, 14:46   #3
Bromley
Settler

You're a star. Thanks.
Old November 6, 2002, 04:50   #4
Bromley
Settler

I've found a map that has the historically correct starting locations pre-set (i.e. no editing required). It's based on the Marla map and is by KittenOfChaos. The only downside is that it's not available at Apolyton.

See this post at Civfanatics.com for version 8 (or later). KoC appears to be editing the OP to repost new versions, so no hunting through the post is required.
Old November 6, 2002, 12:11   #5
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 13:24
A note. IMO, playing a World Map with historical locations makes the Aztecs unbalancing. Look at the 24 civs in Civ 3, and you'll see that the middle east is just full of them, europe is also kind of full. Say, you are Rome, but then, there will be Greeks Spanish and kinda the Germans to stall your expansion. However, if you're Aztecs, you start in Mexico, and there's noone in South America. So all you need is to secure the area about where the Mexico-Canada border lies, to ensure that America and Iroquois can't get to the south, and there you are, you can get the full south america for yourself!
Old November 6, 2002, 13:14   #6
Bromley
Settler

Absolutely correct. In civ it was sometimes good/sometimes bad (IMlimitedexperience) but with these huge maps it probably will be unbalancing. Still, it'll be nice to see.

I don't know if KoC has done it for v.8, but the previous version had the Aztecs, Iroquois and Zulu civs crippled (by lack of worker units?) and no Americans to prevent just that.
Old November 6, 2002, 13:18   #7
Th0mas
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Solver
A note. IMO, playing a World Map with historical locations makes the Aztecs unbalancing. Look at the 24 civs in Civ 3, and you'll see that the middle east is just full of them, europe is also kind of full. Say, you are Rome, but then, there will be Greeks Spanish and kinda the Germans to stall your expansion. However, if you're Aztecs, you start in Mexico, and there's noone in South America. So all you need is to secure the area about where the Mexico-Canada border lies, to ensure that America and Iroquois can't get to the south, and there you are, you can get the full south america for yourself!
..I always used to like that in Civ 2.

When playing the large world map with random civ's there was always the chance that there was a monster lurking on the other side of the Atlantic.

The question I have is:

Are the civ locations specific to the Map or a scenario? Once the Civ starting locations have been re-assigned when you start a new game with the map, will they revert back to their original locations?

6 years lurking, 5 minutes posting
Old November 6, 2002, 13:35   #8
Bromley
Settler

I'm not so sure that they're not one and the same. Whether that's true or not, when you edit the map using Civ3Edit and set the locations, you have to save on exit. So they'll always remain the same.