Old November 5, 2002, 08:24   #1
Cagliostro
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:25
Local Date: November 1, 2010
a few questions
I don't have the expansion yet and I have a few questions before I buy it:

1. What I'm planning is to start a game (2 players, maximum # of ai-civs, huge world map with correct starting locations) as hotseat to get past the first few years quickly and then continue the game as play by email - is that possible?

2. Of what approximate size are the files exchanged in PBE-games? (one of the computers the moves will be made on is another computer then the one receiving the mails, so it will be necessary to copy the files to floppy - and I don't want to find out that after one year of playing, filesizes are becoming too big to continue playing...)

3. Is there a huge world map (really huge!) with correct starting locations available for multiplayer or will I have to download something like marla's world map? (If so, which one is the best/biggest to date?)

any help is appreciated
Old November 7, 2002, 15:48   #2
Cagliostro
Chieftain

I bought the expamsion and tested it for you

1. Yes - absolutely no problem - save hotseatgame, start mp, load game, set as pbm, play...

2. Depends on the map, number of citys, civs and units - ranging from 200k in early games to 7.5MB on Marla Singers map in thew 1950s...

3. plenty of them - and the editor got usable finally

p.s.: I'm a schizophreniac
Old November 7, 2002, 15:51   #3
Cagliostro
Chieftain

Wee - Thanx Cagliostro - You're THE man!!

p.s.: Me too
Old November 7, 2002, 20:14   #4
Switch
Prince

Local Time: 05:25

I think somebody's done a little too much and

I guess it's the thought that counts
Old November 7, 2002, 21:22   #5
Cagliostro
Chieftain

Not really - I was just a little annoyed because 9 people (quite few for a forum of this size) looked at this thread ( I assume people having the addon - otherwise looking at a thread entitled "a few questions" without replies doesn't make too much sense imho, except maybe to look if it's the same question someone has - but all of them? - never...) and none of them answered any of my questions.

I don't expect people to test things for me and none of the nine might have known answers to the first two questions, but at least one of them should have been able to answer question #3 - except he's just to lazy.

It was important to me yesterday, because I have to buy an imported US Version (expensive...) to find out - well I bought it, I found things out, and most important: I like it, but I just wanted to thank people in a sarcastic way for not answering at least one simple question

- and maybe there's even someone with similar questions and this thread might still be able to fullfill its purpose
Old November 7, 2002, 21:50   #6
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 03:25
I understand what you mean Cagliostro.

Ok, I'll come clean and let you know that I was one of the 9 who has visited your thread. The reason why I didn't comment is because I had nothing of importance to help you. Let me break it down:

1. What I'm planning is to start a game (2 players, maximum # of ai-civs, huge world map with correct starting locations) as hotseat to get past the first few years quickly and then continue the game as play by email - is that possible?

MY ANSWER: I don't have any info on hotseat since I don't play it - I play LAN instead (of course, you need more than one computer). No help to your question.

2. Of what approximate size are the files exchanged in PBE-games? (one of the computers the moves will be made on is another computer then the one receiving the mails, so it will be necessary to copy the files to floppy - and I don't want to find out that after one year of playing, filesizes are becoming too big to continue playing...)

MY ANSWER: Again, I don't play PBEM, only LAN. No help to you.

3. Is there a huge world map (really huge!) with correct starting locations available for multiplayer or will I have to download something like marla's world map? (If so, which one is the best/biggest to date?)

ANSWER: As of yet, I have not played on any of the canned or set world maps. Again...No help.

But I do congradulate you on your wonderful sense of humor Cagliostro!
Old November 8, 2002, 06:04   #7
Cagliostro
Chieftain

Mkay - thanks for explaining Wittlich - You're excused

I still think it's likely that at least one of the 9 took a look at the scenarios and could have told me (and if I find out who it was, I want to be tought pottery until he drops or I'll invade his country )

Thanks for the compliment concerning my humor, but don't say it too loud - I might be considered a freak in my civ and get expelled from the tribe