Old November 5, 2002, 17:31   #31
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 06:26
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old November 5, 2002, 17:31   #32
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 04:26
Quote:
Originally posted by DanS
GePap: Lighten up, dude. It's hardly one of the major networks.
Hey, I wasn't the one comparing this to 2000.

And besides, as i said, not everyone who comes out of the polls will actually have their vote counted. Hell, this elps Republicans more than Demos. That just the truth.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old November 5, 2002, 17:33   #33
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 05:26
Quote:
Originally posted by GePap
Since no polls have even closed, where does Drudge (the Sludge) go calling races?
Bitter, much?
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old November 5, 2002, 17:33   #34
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 03:26
Any exit polls now are silly, since the bulk of voting happens after 5 PM when people get off of work. Plus, in races as close as today's, the importance of absentee ballots will be heightened.
Old November 5, 2002, 17:36   #35
GePap
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The Mad Monk

Bitter, much?

Not at all, just showing what i think of Mister Drudge in general. I am surprised to see him around as much- haven't seen the man on TV since Clinton left.

Hey Boris: who would you pick for Comptroller: Hevesi of Faso?
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old November 5, 2002, 17:36   #36
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Hey! Stop knocking exit polls. I've got to get my fix some way!
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old November 5, 2002, 17:36   #37
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
There was only one Libertarian running in my district, and yes, I voted for him. It was that or a Republican.
I'll take what I can get. Hooray!

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old November 5, 2002, 17:38   #38
Boris Godunov
Emperor

GP: Hevesi, hands down. He would actually know what he's doing.

Drudge has had several innaccuracies before, so don't take his word for it. In 2000, several of his exit poll predictions ended up with very different results (such as Bush winning the popular vote).
Old November 5, 2002, 18:01   #39
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
GP: Hevesi, hands down. He would actually know what he's doing.

Drudge has had several innaccuracies before, so don't take his word for it. In 2000, several of his exit poll predictions ended up with very different results (such as Bush winning the popular vote).
Early results are just that, early results, and Drudge makes it clear that that is what he's reporting. I see no problem with it.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old November 5, 2002, 18:12   #40
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

Well I'm off to vote and work the polls to support Spear Lancaster, Libertarian candidate for Maryland Governor. Screw off KKT and Ehrlich both.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old November 5, 2002, 18:22   #41
Lincoln
King

Local Time: 10:26
It is hard to predict until I can see who is stuffing the ballot box. Traditionally it has been the Democrats so they have a good chance of retaining control of the Senate.
Old November 5, 2002, 18:25   #42
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 07:26
My predictions:

The democrats will lose control of the Senate, and the Republicans will build their majority in the House. I don't want to provide numbers but that is what I think...
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old November 5, 2002, 19:08   #43
Adam Smith
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Off to vote.

Predicting Townsend over Ehrlich for MD Governor
Van Hollen over Morella for MD 8th

Voting the opposite of the predictions.
Old November 5, 2002, 19:08   #44
DanS
Deity

Hmmm.... Heavy turnout in the Maryland (generally liberal) suburbs, even though it's raining pretty hard.

In DC, I voted Williams (D), Norton (D), Katana (R). Left the Shadow Senator and Shadow Rep blank over principle. Did not vote for any other Dems, including those running unopposed, over principle.

Voted no on the drug rehab over jail issue
Voted no on the elected district attorney

The Green/Statehood party had a more complete slate than the GOP.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Last edited by DanS; November 5, 2002 at 19:15.
Old November 5, 2002, 19:09   #45
Boris Godunov
Emperor

See, I stand by my KKT prediction.

The Voter News Service is scrapping its exit polling due to technical difficulties. News may be a longtime coming.
Old November 5, 2002, 19:19   #46
DanS
Deity

You might be right, Boris. Some reports that rural turnout is not that heavy.
Old November 5, 2002, 19:30   #47
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Higher than expected turnout in several states bodes well for the Democrats. This may not end up being such a disasterous night for them after all.
Old November 5, 2002, 19:38   #48
DanS
Deity

Odd that we would expect a disasterous night for the Dems in Bush's first midterms.
Old November 5, 2002, 19:45   #49
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
Higher than expected turnout in several states bodes well for the Democrats. This may not end up being such a disasterous night for them after all.
You speak unknowningly. Higher voter turnout for which political side? Anyways poll after poll after poll, from New York times to CNN shows the republicans most favored. This is a going to be an absolute disaster for the left.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old November 5, 2002, 19:50   #50
Kyle
Prince

Well, since there are more registered Democrats nation-wide, a higher turnout usually means more Dems are voting overall. Doesn't actually mean anything as party affiliations are just labels and many vote for whom they want, rather than straight party line.

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc
Old November 5, 2002, 20:10   #51
Giancarlo
King

More registered democrats nation-wide? Since when?
Old November 5, 2002, 20:44   #52
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Adam Smith
Off to vote.

Predicting Townsend over Ehrlich for MD Governor
Van Hollen over Morella for MD 8th

Voting the opposite of the predictions.
Ah, I see we voted the same way....

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old November 5, 2002, 21:16   #53
Swissy
Civilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMRise of Nations MultiplayerIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerBtS Tri-League

Quote:
Originally posted by GePap

Can it be that Ryan (not that ryan.. i know so many people in Illinois who got Jim and George mixed up) will beat Blagoievich? (The dem with the bald head and glasses would have been better candidate: i foregot his name, somehting greek i think)
Paul Vallas, is the one I think you mean. And Ryan does have a real good chance. Chicago Dems screwed the downstate Dem gov candidate four years ago, and the downstaters remember it well. Turnout looks to be 65% downstate, 55% Cook Co(Chicago) and 60% in the collar counties. If the downstate Dems go Ryan, he should win. BTW, those are amazing numbers for an Illinois off year election. Back in 98 those numbers were about 10% less each.
Old November 5, 2002, 21:22   #54
Kyle
Prince

They're doing it again. CNN is calling Florida's Governor race for Bush, even though a part of the state is still voting.

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc
Old November 5, 2002, 21:35   #55
DanS
Deity

Fez: Since right after the founding of the country.
Old November 5, 2002, 21:40   #56
Lincoln
King

Local Time: 10:26
Katherine Harris will win. Dan Rather will love this...
Old November 5, 2002, 21:52   #57
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Fez
More registered democrats nation-wide? Since when?
Heh. Well, I am a registered Republican ... but that doesn't mean I'm going to automatically vote the the name next to the "R" on the ballot. I've got more sense than that and so do a good number of other people, I'd hope.

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old November 5, 2002, 22:06   #58
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

It looks like my homestate (Kansas) is going to elect a Democrat governor! :eek!:
Old November 5, 2002, 22:29   #59
DanS
Deity

Hmm... Northern Virginia voters against .5% sales tax plan for roads and Dulles Metro. Thought that had broad support.

Learn something new every day.
Old November 5, 2002, 22:33   #60
Kull
lifer
King

Looks like the Democrats will make major pickups in the Governor races, but all the trends in the Senate and House "tossup" races point to a Republican "landslide" (If you only win 51-49, that's hardly the typical definition - but if you do it in ALL the races....)

The President will have significant clout after this election. Gains in an off-year election by the party in the White House simply DON'T happen! The "Bush Bounce" appears to be real.