Old November 5, 2002, 21:18   #1
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 11:27
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Civ3(PTW) dying off already? Or in for the long run?
Is interest in Civ3 is waning now that all the "new stuff" has come and gone, reality has checked in, and turned out not to be such the super-sequel afterall? Or will it continue to rise and bring in more new players for MP, PBEM, Mods, scenarios and such?

My personal view is that Civ3 will become one of those civ games that continues with mainly PBEM, the occaisional MP game and a few scenarios (not mods). You only have to look around the forums to see what each civ game takes on as its mainstay.

Im not moaning about Civ3, as much as i enjoy those threads i do get tired of them too, I wonder how long do people around here think Civ3 will remain at the top of the popularity ladder, and what exactly will keep it there?
Old November 5, 2002, 21:28   #2
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Fixing internet MP would do a lot to boost PTWs popularity. I think that's the key.
Old November 5, 2002, 21:31   #3
werdhertz
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:27
I dont really see how it is 'dyeing' off. These forums seem as popular as ever, and i for one still love the game and i got it the 4th day after its release. I also got PtW the 3rd day of its release.

I dont think Civ3 is exactly at the 'top of the popularity ladder' either lol. Was it ever? As everyone knows, turn-based games arent for everyone. Civ3 has a lot of life in it 1)because of the random nature of it 2)because of the scenario editor can keep breathing fresh air into it and 3) Firaxis is dedicated to releasing new stuff. They patch all the time, and really listen to what the fans need/want.

Long live Civ3!
Old November 5, 2002, 22:16   #4
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Civ3 is currently top in terms of popularity around here, and in all TBS games. The random nature of TBS games is in all the games around these forums and the scenario editor is quite friendly (but not powerful enough to create superb scenarios) and I think Firaxis are dedicated to releasing patches, until they feel the game is complete enough to be called a game. But all these things an immortal civ game do-not-make.

Three things will be crucial for it as a long runner around here (apolyton)... improved stability and speed of multiplayer, scripted events for scenarios and alot of die hard fans (to do all the real work).
Old November 5, 2002, 22:38   #5
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 05:27
What would take Civ3's place at the head of Apolyton?
Old November 5, 2002, 23:19   #6
punkbass2000
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameApolyton UniversityCivilization III PBEM
King

Local Time: 06:27
I hope it's RTS...
Old November 5, 2002, 23:34   #7
werdhertz
Chieftain

When you said popularity, i thought you meant in all genres, of all games on the PC.

I dont think anything will beat it in popularity here at Apolyton until maybe MOO3 comes out, or Civ4. Ther newer, more modern game will always beat it out here. Unless of course, its an utter peice of garbage.
Old November 6, 2002, 00:19   #8
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Quote:
Originally posted by punkbass2000
I hope it's RTS...
Aren't there enough crappy RTS games out as it is?
Old November 6, 2002, 01:31   #9
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

There can never be enough crappy RTS games... as long as graphics keep improving.
Old November 6, 2002, 14:44   #10
Peter Triggs
CTP2 Source Code ProjectCivilization IV Creators
King

Doesn't anyone around here ever check out other forums?

RoN will be out in about 6 months and it's looking very interesting.

Markos is playing a Beta now: 6 months before the game will be released! The guys who are working on this game are clearly not rushing it out.
Old November 6, 2002, 15:32   #11
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Triggs
Doesn't anyone around here ever check out other forums?

RoN will be out in about 6 months and it's looking very interesting.

Markos is playing a Beta now: 6 months before the game will be released! The guys who are working on this game are clearly not rushing it out.
6 months?

I will still be playing Civ3 for the next six months

I can't say that an rts has ever held my attention that long.

But who knows, maybe if ron is more than an AoE clone, I might pick up a copy -f I want to do a brainless activity for a few hours (which I occassionaly do now with SWGB and AoE)

I'm sure it will move units and will be somewhat popular. That said, I think the market of ACS skews towards TBS players.
Old November 6, 2002, 16:22   #12
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Quote:
Originally posted by cyclotron7
There can never be enough crappy RTS games... as long as graphics keep improving.
*Gags*
Old November 6, 2002, 16:38   #13
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I am not excited about any RTS games, even if they are good. I have had Warcraft3 for some time and have yet to get to it. That does not make it bad, I just find them all the same. Even the ones I really liked.
Old November 6, 2002, 18:41   #14
candybo
Warlord

I'm very curious about RoN, but like some others, I've always preferred TBS to RTS. I agree, they seem to work out the same. Or maybe its just that I grew up on board games first, where you waited for everyone to take a turn. Even my earliest computer and arcade experiences weren't RTS, so it just seems normal to me...
Old November 6, 2002, 21:21   #15
vmxa1
Deity

Ok, I will have to backup yet again. I was looking at my CGW and was reminded of C&C generals. I will be given that a shot at some point as I have played all the C&C games.
Old November 6, 2002, 21:38   #16
punkbass2000
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameApolyton UniversityCivilization III PBEM
King

Empire Earth is a good RTS, IMO. It has elements of civ in it, actually.
Old November 7, 2002, 01:23   #17
vmxa1
Deity

There are lots of good rts games, I just can't find time to try them all, even some that I already own. Age of Mythology is another that I may like, but will never get to.
Old November 7, 2002, 06:59   #18
Grumbold
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel
What would take Civ3's place at the head of Apolyton?
I can't think of a single game that I would consider worthy of being the 'flagship' title except Civ IV, especially when Apolyton is a Civ site first and a Civ-like games site second. Civ III will sit at the top even if a secretly developed CtP3 turned out to be the best TBS ever

I have high hopes for MOO3. For those who like earth games over space games, Paradox are steadily working on releasing EU2 style games for many time periods. Hearts of Iron is starting to beat out MOO3 as my most hotly anticipated game to be playing over Christmas, with Crusaders being one of two games I'm looking forward to next year.
Old November 7, 2002, 20:47   #19
Destroyer
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip

Aren't there enough crappy RTS games out as it is?
Have you ever played X-Com Apocalypse.

This is the only RTS ever devised that truely uses any form of strategy - mainly because of its TBS roots.

So yes, there are enough crappy RTS games, and only one really good one.

Viva Xcom

Anyone remember the CIV2 xcom scenario?
Old November 7, 2002, 22:00   #20
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 12:27
Shogun Total War is the only RTS I've ever played with deep tactics in it (not that I didn't enjoy AOK like clickfests). I've yet to see a more acute game than Shogun.
Old November 7, 2002, 22:05   #21
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Destroyer

Anyone remember the CIV2 xcom scenario?
Yes and the Moo one.
Old November 8, 2002, 05:52   #22
Grumbold
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Destroyer Have you ever played X-Com Apocalypse.

This is the only RTS ever devised that truely uses any form of strategy - mainly because of its TBS roots.

So yes, there are enough crappy RTS games, and only one really good one.
There was a toggle to turn it RTS? I did all the fights turn based
Old November 8, 2002, 10:47   #23
Cidifer
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

just curious but what exactly would you people consider LotR 2? I mean it had RTS and TBS parts (though you could skip the RTS parts so maybe it's obvious).
Old November 8, 2002, 14:28   #24
Destroyer
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Grumbold

There was a toggle to turn it RTS? I did all the fights turn based
I played it turn based in the first fight (I dreaded the thought of real time) and after about two hours I figured that perhaps real time was better after all. I was pleasantly surprised.

In fact Terror from the Deep could have done with this as I despised having to search every room in the cruise ship terror attacks as it took so bloody long, and you ended up having to do it every month.
Old November 8, 2002, 14:32   #25
Destroyer
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Cidifer
just curious but what exactly would you people consider LotR 2? I mean it had RTS and TBS parts (though you could skip the RTS parts so maybe it's obvious).
Actually Lords of the Realm 2 was pretty good fun for a while, unfortunately the AI was a bit daft in the RTS bits. All you needed was a bridge guarded by 10 knights, and hundreds of archers the outher side.

This is one game that made good use of the resources system though.

Turn based in my opinion (to answer your question).