Old November 6, 2002, 05:23   #1
Pyrodrew
Prince

Local Time: 02:28
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Strategically Improving the AI
I've often read some still get bored in the Industrial & Modern Ages. Have you used the Editor to add/remove anything from those ages to make things more interesting?

I've been away from Civ3 since 1.17 (1.19?) & recently only have been working on mods. Yet, I recall the AI was awful at using artillery & often produced too much of it. If that is still the same I'm tempted to not allow anyone build artillery, but that's a sad story too.

Any specific technology/unit that the human benefits far more from than the AI in 1.29 (railroads? cathedrals? factories? cavalry?) than others?

I'm posting this here since avid strategy game players are more likely to understand the AI's weaknesses than a graphic designer in the Creation forum.

Yes, I know PtW has a better AI, but I'm waiting on that & I've yet to see anyone say PtW cured their Industrial/Modern Age blues. Below is a listing of typical AI Brain options (if you've created a great one I would be curious)...
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	thepatch.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	40239  

Last edited by Pyrodrew; March 21, 2003 at 09:26.
Old November 6, 2002, 05:40   #2
aaglo
King

Local Time: 13:28
Add emphasize shields, build often Offensive & Defensive Land units and Settlers

Old November 6, 2002, 06:44   #3
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 11:28
The AI has a big weakness when you reach the industrialization period. It tends to put far too little focus on railroads and factories, whereas the human does and doubles productivity over the AI. In fact, you can often find AI cities in modern times with no factories. The industrial period is usually the period in a larger map deity game when I begin to gain huge leads over the AI.
Old November 6, 2002, 07:32   #4
Pyrodrew
Prince

Local Time: 02:28
For right now I'm going to check Militaristic, Industrious, Commercial, Expansionist, & Scientific for Factories so all 16 will hopefully find Factories more desireable. As of 1.29, currently none are checked! Temple is checked for Religious, Marketplace is checked for Commercial, but Factories are not even checked for Industrious???

If that does not work, I suppose I could take some of the teeth out of factories (Production 2 down to 1).

Cavarly & Railroads are also at the top of my list to investigate further. Yet if I increase the costs/time I fear, in the long run, it will only widen the gap between the "haves" & "have-nots" & the AI also may lose some interest in building them. If I decrease the costs/time then, in the short run, the human (me) will conquer faster (or am I wrong on 1 of those 2 points?).

Below is an image of what is checked for factories...
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	factories.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	28593  
Old November 6, 2002, 09:42   #5
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Pyrodrew: You should try the AU mod ("A mod for the curriculum"). It has most of the things, you wrote about, already addressed.
Old November 6, 2002, 10:26   #6
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Local Time: 06:28
Quote:
Originally posted by Pyrodrew
For right now I'm going to check Militaristic, Industrious, Commercial, Expansionist, & Scientific for Factories so all 16 will hopefully find Factories more desireable. As of 1.29, currently none are checked! Temple is checked for Religious, Marketplace is checked for Commercial, but Factories are not even checked for Industrious???
I believe the civ attributes checked for each improvement is to flag it as half-price for militaristic, religious, and scientific. It has nothing to do with the AI actually building it, other than it being more appealing due to its reduced cost.
Old November 6, 2002, 10:28   #7
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Marketplaces don't get half price for commercial though.
Old November 6, 2002, 10:30   #8
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Quote:
Originally posted by DrFell
Marketplaces don't get half price for commercial though.
My guess is that they used to get half price at some point in Firaxis testing, but then they decided it would be too powerful so they removed the half-price bonus from all commercial buildings. They left the buildings flagged in the editor though.
Old November 6, 2002, 12:03   #9
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 13:28
I recall a thread on the subject, that I believe is linked to from the Greatest Threads thread, it also had Soren of Firaxis saying something on the issue, and it's a very good one, shows what to do if you want a killer AI.
Old November 6, 2002, 18:14   #10
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
It was the "Key to AI Greatness."

Pyrodrew, check the AU Mod as Sir Ralph said. We've been playing with the same concepts, and more. It needs some further work though, especially post-PTW.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.