Old March 7, 2003, 22:24   #121
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 03:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I found a new one expressed by Shaka today. I was pounding him into the ground, and he said
"I prefer war to peace, ... but this war has outlived its usefulness. ...".

Naturally, I declined; until I conquered some gems and oil, and started suffering from war weariness several turns later.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old March 8, 2003, 01:43   #122
Hugfrty
Settler

Local Time: 10:38
The History of the Word ****
Ship
High
In
Transit

Manure in a wooden ship for three or more monts is no good. (ie. It produces lots of highly explosive methane gas.) That was learned after a few incidents. It was then (and is now) shipped hiher up in the cargo hold(s) of ships to allow the explosive gases to escape harmlessly into the atmosphere.
Old March 8, 2003, 09:50   #123
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 04:38
Huh?

---

IIRC it's either the Arabians or Ottomans who found a city named "Yomama".
Old March 9, 2003, 13:47   #124
mrboo123
Rise of Nations MultiplayerC4DG VoxCiv4 SP Democracy GameNationStates
King

When I was editing my diplomacy.txt, I found this will the French when demaning something...

Would you care to take part in our share-the-wealth program, Jon Doe?
Old March 9, 2003, 21:38   #125
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

The French having the guts to demand something???

Damn, that's funny as hell.

Old March 9, 2003, 22:19   #126
Aramis
Prince

Not a quote, but the funniest request I get is another civ asking ME for a world map.

Also, back in mid-Jan, around Elvis' birthday, someone started a thread aftereeing kings in a mass-regcde game demand fried banana sandwiches. I think the thread was called "Fried Bananas."
Old March 9, 2003, 22:23   #127
Aramis
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Olaf Hårfagre
Isn't it ironic that the civil war Union president uses slang invented in a Rebel state?
No.
Old March 12, 2003, 03:19   #128
aaglo
King

Local Time: 13:38
In recent game I got one dude saying something like "Some people say that a pen is mightier than a sword, but my sword much longer than your pen is"... pen is? muhuhuhhuhuhuhhaaahhahaha....

Old March 12, 2003, 08:25   #129
mrboo123
King

Quote:
Originally posted by mrmitchell
The French having the guts to demand something???

Damn, that's funny as hell.

eh, I got them demanding me for something last day.
Old March 12, 2003, 12:41   #130
mrmitchell
King

Old March 12, 2003, 17:38   #131
mrboo123
King

I suck THAT bad?
Old March 12, 2003, 17:57   #132
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 12:38
Quote:
Originally posted by rmds

No.
A little thin reply. Can you explain why you think so?
Old March 12, 2003, 23:08   #133
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Re: The History of the Word ****
Quote:
Originally posted by Hugfrty
Ship
High
In
Transit

Manure in a wooden ship for three or more monts is no good. (ie. It produces lots of highly explosive methane gas.) That was learned after a few incidents. It was then (and is now) shipped hiher up in the cargo hold(s) of ships to allow the explosive gases to escape harmlessly into the atmosphere.
Nah, that is, pardon the pun, bullshit.

Here's the origin:

http://www.wordorigins.org/wordors.htm#****

Quote:

**** is a very old word, with an Old English root. *Scítan is the Old English word. It has cognates in most of the other Germanic languages and shares a common Germanic root with modern equivalents like the German scheissen.
*Scítan, however, doesn't appear in extant Old English texts and is only assumed to have existed in Old English. The verb to **** dates the Middle English period (c. 1308), and the noun form is from the 16th century. The interjection is of quite recent vintage, not found until the 1920s.

In 2002, an alleged acronymic origin for **** appeared on the Internet. According to this tale, the word is from an acronym for Ship High In Transit, referring to barges carrying manure. This is a complete fabrication and absurd on its face. All it takes to disprove it is to look up the word in any decent dictionary. Remember, anytime someone posits an acronymic word origin, chances are that it is utterly false.
Old March 13, 2003, 13:05   #134
steven8r
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by alva
If I'm not mistaken, one of the most frequent used swair words allready is an acronym (yeah,yeah, the 4 letter one )
Well, we've discoverered that it's not Ship High In Transit, so it must be:

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge.

Well, I can't vouch for the origin of that phrase (or even if that's what the acronym really means), but that's it according to a Van Halen album.
Old March 13, 2003, 13:17   #135
minke19104
Warlord

Local Time: 10:38
I thought it was

Fornication Under Carnal Knowledge??

One of my High School teacher told me that.
Old March 13, 2003, 13:54   #136
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

F*ck doesn't come from an acronym, either...remember kids, when people give a word origin as an acronym, it's probably not true!

Quote:
F*ck

Popular etymologies agree, unfortunately incorrectly, that this is an acronym meaning either Fornication Under Consent of the King or For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge, the latter usually accompanying a story about how medieval prisoners were forced to wear this word on their clothing.
Deriving the etymology of this word is difficult, as it has been under a taboo for most of its existence and citations are rare. The earliest known use, according to American Heritage and Lighter, predates 1500 and is from a poem written in a mix of Latin and English and entitled 'Flen flyys.' The relevant line reads:

"Non sunt in celi quia fuccant uuiuys of heli."
Translated:
"They [the monks] are not in heaven because they **** the wives of Ely [a town near Cambridge]."
Fuccant is a pseudo-Latin word and in the original it is written in cipher to further disguise it.
Some sources cite an alleged use from 1278 as a personal name, John le ****er, but this citation is questionable. No one has properly identified the document this name supposedly appears in and even if it is real, the name is likely a variant of fuker, a maker of cloth, fulcher, a soldier, or another similar word.

The earliest usage cite in the OED2 dates from 1503 and is in the form 'fukkit.' The earliest cite of the current spelling is from 1535.

The word was not in common (published) use prior to the 1960s. Shakespeare did not use it, although he did hint at it for comic effect. In Merry Wives of Windsor (IV.i) he gives us the pun "focative case." In Henry V (IV.iv), the character Pistol threatens to "firk" a French soldier, a word meaning "to strike," but commonly used as an Elizabethan euphemism for ****. In the same play (III.iv), Princess Katherine confuses the English words "foot" and "gown" for the French "foutre" and "coun" (**** and ****, respectively) with comic results. Other poets did use the word, although it was far from common. Robert Burns, for example, used it in an unpublished manuscript.

The taboo was so strong that for 170 years, from 1795 to 1965, **** did not appear in a single dictionary of the English language. In 1948, the publishers of The Naked and the Dead persuaded Norman Mailer to use the euphemism "fug" instead, resulting in Dorothy Parker's comment upon meeting Mailer: "So you're the man who can't spell ****."

The root is undoubtedly Germanic, as it has cognates in other Northern European languages: Middle Dutch fokken meaning to thrust, to copulate with; dialectical Norwegian fukka meaning to copulate; and dialectical Swedish focka meaning to strike, push, copulate, and fock meaning penis. Both French and Italian have similar words, foutre and fottere respectively. These derive from the Latin futuere.

While these cognates exist, they are probably not the source of ****, rather all these words probably come from a common root. Most of the early known usages of the English word come from Scotland, leading some scholars to believe that the word comes from Scandinavian sources. Others disagree, believing that the number of northern citations reflects that the taboo was weaker in Scotland and the north, resulting in more surviving usages. The fact that there are citations, albeit fewer of them, from southern England dating from the same period seems to bear out this latter theory.

There is also an elaborate explanation that has been circulating on the internet for some years regarding English archers, the Battle of Agincourt, and the phrase Pluck Yew! This explanation is a modern jest--a play on words. However, there may be a bit of truth to it. The British (it is virtually unknown in America) gesture of displaying the index and middle fingers with the back of the hand outwards (a reverse peace sign)--meaning the same as displaying the middle finger alone--may derive from the French practice of cutting the fingers off captured English archers. Archers would taunt the French on the battlefield with this gesture, showing they were intact and still dangerous. The pluck yew part is fancifully absurd. This is not the origin of the middle finger gesture, which is truly ancient, being referred to in classical Greek and Roman texts.

For more information on **** and its usages, see The F Word , by Jesse Sheidlower, Random House, 1999, ISBN 0-375-70634-8. This is perhaps the most comprehensive treatment of the word available.
Old March 13, 2003, 14:56   #137
Chemical Ollie
King

Did the AI say **** or ****?
Old March 13, 2003, 16:53   #138
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
... persuaded Norman Mailer to use the euphemism "fug" instead ...
I could'a sworn that it was "fuq", not "fug".
Lowercase 'g's and 'q's being so easy to confuse in print....
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old March 13, 2003, 16:55   #139
Chemical Ollie
King

FAQ U
Old March 13, 2003, 17:38   #140
Giovanni Wine
NationStatesNever Ending Stories
King

Local Time: 11:38
This happened to me just last night, I was playing with Rome, and I met Cartaghe right at the start, Hannibal (which was on polite) called me and said

"Salute a te! Hai davanti a te Annibale, primogenito del Leone, orgoglio di Baal, eroe di Cartagine e rovina di Roma!"

Something that can be translated into "Greetings, I'm Hannibel, first son of the lion, glory of Baal, hero of Cartaghe and ruin of Rome

LOL, we just met, and he already claim he destryed my civ

Saluti
"If God forbade drinking, would He have made wine so good?" - Cardinal Richelieu
"In vino veritas" - Plinio il vecchio
Old March 13, 2003, 21:44   #141
steven8r
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov F*ck doesn't come from an acronym, either ...remember kids, when people give a word origin as an acronym, it's probably not true!
Indeed.

Very informative website BTW. I spent most of the day reading about various word origins.

The useful info that I obtained from that site is that by and large the use of Acronyms is entirely a contribution of the 20th Century.

Come to think of it, the Acronym should be added to Civ3 as a Modern Technology--the learning of which would provide a better chance at victorious combat. I'm sure the best armies are the ones that use the most acronyms. The time saved from using acronyms allows for more combat time.
Old March 13, 2003, 22:16   #142
Malleus
NationStates
Warlord

Local Time: 02:38
Re: word origins. As someone who has studied the subject extensively, if you have heard a word is derived from an acronym and it came from before the 1960's, you are wrong. Acronyms are a very new etymological development in English.

So please, stop spreading false information about our language. The REAL stories behind words are much better!

So:

No "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge."
No "Ship High in Transit."
No "Port Out Starboard Home."
No "For a Day."
No "Radical Audio Visual Experience."
No no no!!!

and all the others.

For those who enjoy entertaining stories about words and their usage, I invite you all to Take Our Word For It.

ENJOY!

M

President of the nation of Riis in W3's SimCountry.
Old March 13, 2003, 23:11   #143
Aramis
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Olaf Hårfagre

A little thin reply. Can you explain why you think so?
Surely.
Generally speaking, the earliest trends (before the Louisiana Purchase and the opening of the West) in migration/settlement in US history were westward towards the Mississippi Rv. then south towards the Ohio for those coming from New England and the Mid-Atlantic states. Or westward then north towards the Ohio for those coming from Virginia, Carolinas, and Georgia. Their cultures merged a bit north

Lincoln was born in Kentucky in a family who hailed originally from (I think) North Carolina. Anyway, he was a product of rural Southern culture. Kentucky did not secede from the Union (altho' early in the war tried to declare neutrality), but it is a southern state.

Lincoln moved 1st to Indiana, later to Illinois. In both states, the lower portions of the states were settled by southerners, while the upper portions were settled by northerners. Illinois remained in the Union (very loyal), but part of its roots were in the south.

The differences are minor between these "cultures." Today, in my adopted state of Indiana it is more common to hear people in the north say "certainly," while those in the south say "surely."

I don't see a case for irony in Lincoln's heritage vs. his position as president.
Peace--rmds
Old March 14, 2003, 01:16   #144
Mad Bomber
King

Local Time: 06:38
Quote:
Originally posted by Malleus
Re: word origins. As someone who has studied the subject extensively, if you have heard a word is derived from an acronym and it came from before the 1960's, you are wrong. Acronyms are a very new etymological development in English.

For those who enjoy entertaining stories about words and their usage, I invite you all to Take Our Word For It.

ENJOY!

M
Actually acronyms have been around almost as long as we have had the english language, Here are a few popular acronyms from the US military during the 1940's. Some of these originated before the turn of the century.

CINCPAC
FUBAR
COMINCH
ANZAC
GI
RADAR

Most acronyms have a military or transportation origin as it is necessary to have abbreviations to phrases in common usage at the time.
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old March 14, 2003, 01:36   #145
Malleus
NationStates
Warlord

Local Time: 02:38
Yes. Military usage aside, and remember these did not have common use before the 60's. The 60's is when the acronym moved into popular consciousness.

Really, you claim acronyms have been around for a long time, then cite the 40's. That only leaves out a few hundred years.

The first confirmed acronym was in 1890.

M

President of the nation of Riis in W3's SimCountry.
Old March 17, 2003, 17:23   #146
mrmitchell
King

Free Work!!!
Apparently the Celt workers were bored because they wanted to share their skills with us, the Persians:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	free_workers.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	39858  
Old March 17, 2003, 17:28   #147
mrmitchell
King

That wasn't all...
Apparently they wanted to help everyone, because a few turns later they were helping the ruskies:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	celts_and_ruskies.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	39860  
Old March 18, 2003, 00:49   #148
Rommel2D
staff
Civilization III PBEMIron Civers

Local Time: 05:38
Quote:
Apparently the Celt workers were bored because they wanted to share their skills with us, the Persians:

So what did they say when you asked them what they were doing?
Old March 18, 2003, 20:13   #149
Mad Bomber
King

Local Time: 06:38
Quote:
Originally posted by Malleus
Yes. Military usage aside, and remember these did not have common use before the 60's. The 60's is when the acronym moved into popular consciousness.

Really, you claim acronyms have been around for a long time, then cite the 40's. That only leaves out a few hundred years.

The first confirmed acronym was in 1890.

M
Would you care to date H.M.S. or U.S.S.? both are acronyms and I assure you have been around far longer than 1890.

I don't have the time otr inclination to do a proper research on this topic, but Acronyms have been around for a long time.
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old March 18, 2003, 20:29   #150
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 05:38
H.M.S. and U.S.S. are not acronyms but initials standing for Her (His) Majesty's Ship and United States Ship.

The difference between an acronym and initials is that an acronym can be pronounced as a word (radar), whereas initials must be spelled (H.M.S.)

--Kon--