View Poll Results: Do you agree with the following settings?
Yes 16 94.12%
No 0 0%
Abstain 1 5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 8, 2002, 08:10   #1
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 12:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Map Setting Finalization: General
Okay, time to do some decision making. For some of the game settings, such as mod and Pollution Setting, an absolute majority has voted in favour of a certain option, or at least a large portion of the votes is going in the same general direction. For these settings which are pretty obvious, I think it would be good to have a confirmation poll: rather than to see what people prefer to have, see if they don't have objections to these choices. If no or only few people object, we can regard the issue decided (and I will close the related poll). If there are a lot of objections, we'll continue the discussion/polling for that particular setting.

All these options have an (almost) absolute majority vote in their respective polls, so unless people changed their minds or everyone vetos options that are very similar to what they really want, the only situation in which a majority could reject these settings is if people don't like the combination of these settings.

In brackets is the number of votes this option received:

Mod: Super Apolyton Pack v2.0 + GoodMod v1.0 (11/24)
Difficulty Level: Impossible (18/19)
Barbarian Activity: Marauders (8/12)
Map Size: Gigantic (10/21)
Pollution: On (21/21)
Bloodlust: Off (18/20)

Land Mass: 7 (7/19 - 14/18 including 'neighbouring' votes; also median)
Good Presence: 10 (9/20)

I will later post polls on more 'sensitive' issues (I already have them prepared so please don't try to beat me to it )
Old November 8, 2002, 08:17   #2
Gilgamensch
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 11:39
majority decided, that's what we'll have to survive with

And
Old November 8, 2002, 11:48   #3
Pedrunn
Call to Power II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 07:39
Exacly what i would have if i was the only one to decide!
-Jean Rostand
Old November 8, 2002, 14:53   #4
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Everything ok accept the land mass. In my opinion it is too much and will increase the difficuilt level too much, but it is interesting how good we will do on this setting therefore my vote is yes.

-Martin
Old November 14, 2002, 09:53   #5
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Okay, after almost a week, I think we can safely say that all the finalization polls have been passed: the only remotely doubtfull cases are Temperature (7:3 for 5) and Map Type (11:10 for Earth). So unless radical things happen between now and the start of the game, the setting we will play on will be the following:

Mod: Super Apolyton Pack v2.0 + GoodMod v1.0
Difficulty Level: Impossible
Barbarian Activity: Marauders
Number of Civs: 12
Map Size: Gigantic
Map Type: Earth
Pollution: On
Bloodlust: Off

Humidity: 4
Temperature: 5
Land Mass: 7
Continentality: 8
Diversity: 9
Good Presence: 10

Finally!
Old November 14, 2002, 13:57   #6
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 05:39
I was worried we were going to have a donut world, my mind can't comprehend that kind of map
Old November 14, 2002, 14:51   #7
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Local Time: 10:39
Quote:
Originally posted by H Tower
I was worried we were going to have a donut world, my mind can't comprehend that kind of map
Well you can cross the world and return to your starting location by heading due north - just keep going
I find it realistic and means you are much less likely to get a safe edge to your empire...............but maybe i'm strange and think the world goes around the sun.......

It has nothing to do with Homer Simpson if that helps???
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.
Old November 14, 2002, 14:56   #8
J Bytheway
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

I could cope with doughnut worlds if the minimap shifted so that your view was always in the centre (like it does in Civ2, MoM) but as it is it's too confusing whenever you're near the edge.
Old November 14, 2002, 16:46   #9
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by child of Thor
but maybe i'm strange and think the world goes around the sun.......
That would be a hot world, a world without night.

Actual I can also live with a donut world, you get used to it, but the alternative world type is as realistic as the donut type world: A cylinder.

-Martin
Old November 14, 2002, 18:40   #10
child of Thor
Emperor

@ JB and Martin!
I like hot worlds ok and i just wont accept that the sun goes around us - even if it looks like it does
I wonder who decided that a 'real world' only went east-west? And why Donut world?? still this is OT so sorry......
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Old November 14, 2002, 19:43   #11
Martin Gühmann
staff
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by child of Thor
I like hot worlds ok
No problem here, my point was just that we are neither sitting on a donut nor on a cylinder but on a ball. As we are sitting on a ball all the world map options in CTP2 aren't realsitic ones.

And again no problem here if we are playing on a map that you wan't find in the entire real space.

Maybe I should correct my statement above I thought of a donut world with the sun in the middle of the donut, the donut would be a ring of the sun like the rings of Saturn. So that would result a world that would be have a never ending day on the inner side and a never ending night on the other side, that would be a world of extremes.

But another consideration on a donut world you could discover huge parts of it if you just look at the sky if you are in the inner region of the ring.

-Martin
Old November 14, 2002, 20:29   #12
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Also the donut surrounding the sun that would make the world massive! Everyone would live around the top and/or bottom and the "inside" hot and "outside" cold, being the extremes for daring explorers. Strange without a definate point to aim for, like the absolute North/South Poles, just go inside or outside.

Unless... our donut spins "over and under" with the ring rotating over and under the star, rather than around. Im too tired to comprehend the consequences of that.

So if we play on a cylinder (ctp2 earth world) then what exists at the ends of the "tube" (top and bottom)? Maybe our world is a small piece on an interstellar chess board with a lemur symbol on top?
Old November 14, 2002, 20:50   #13
child of Thor
Emperor

I think you should both read some sci-fi by Greg Bear and leave my poor head alone.......gad look at the hour!
Yeah i like the idea of a real donut world....kinda crazzze

Old November 14, 2002, 21:56   #14
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 05:39
sphere i'll deal with, donut would just mess with my head.

remember, i've only delt with civ2 before. I did purchase CtP, and I tried the sphere map one time and had a hard time adjusting, of course, i had a hard time adjusting to the whole thing and eventually uninstalled it
Old November 15, 2002, 02:56   #15
Gilgamensch
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
King

There is a mod for Civ or whatever to emulate a real donute-world????????????? WHERE???????????

But it is still a shame that we play on a chessboard
Old November 15, 2002, 04:50   #16
J Bytheway
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Maquiladora
Unless... our donut spins "over and under" with the ring rotating over and under the star, rather than around. Im too tired to comprehend the consequences of that.
The main consequence would be that, unless it was made of incredibly strong material it would probably break at the point where it crosses its own spin axis, because there are (in the frame of the donut - that's frame in the physics sense) no centrifugal forces to counteract the stars gravity. You get a similar problem with Dyson spheres - no matter how you spin them there are always two ponts not moving.

More interesting is what happens if the donut is slightly flexible and it spins around going up on the inside and down on the outside, as it were. But I guess such motion would cause huge energy losses and be damped in no time...

Quote:
So if we play on a cylinder (ctp2 earth world) then what exists at the ends of the "tube" (top and bottom)? Maybe our world is a small piece on an interstellar chess board with a lemur symbol on top?
Lets just hope that we don't get sacrificed by the player .

Last edited by J Bytheway; November 15, 2002 at 10:05.
Old November 15, 2002, 08:14   #17
Pedrunn
Call to Power II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 07:39
It is impossible to represent a map of a sphere in a flat map. So all flat maps consider the earth a cilinder. Like Earth map Mercators representation (which considers the form but distorces the size).and the current Earth map Peters represantation (which considers the size but distorces the form).

I dont know if the azimutal Earth represantation follows the cilinder principle
-Jean Rostand

Last edited by Pedrunn; November 15, 2002 at 08:20.
Old November 15, 2002, 08:26   #18
Gilgamensch
King

Don't know where the problem is, get out off the house and discover for your own, how it is formed.............

I still believe it is flat and we'll fall off once we reached the edge