Abstain 2 14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 10, 2002, 22:32   #31
dmm1285
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free DronesC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Warlord

Local Time: 05:41
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I think the big problem with switching to governers is that it creates competetion among baes for crawler areas, money for hurrying, secret projecxts, etc. Instead of doing whats best for the faction, some may jockey ofr power to increase the strength of their region. There would only beone person mediating these disputes. I like the idea of goverenrs, but why not just keep the current directoretes, and have each give a genraelr outline to each region, and have the goveoer habndle the micromanaging?
Old November 11, 2002, 01:28   #32
Darkness' Edge
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCall to Power II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Prince

Local Time: 21:41
Maniac: By not having too many regions. If we have say, five cities a region (this may want to be outlined in the constitution), then we won't need that many more people than we have now, due to the elimination of the two director positions.

I think the DIA should handle base naming still. The DIA has a lot of power, but virtually all its responsibilities are handled by the governors - keeping base naming there will actually give them something to do directly.

DBTS: Do so, but I think appointing governors would be about as fun/useful as electing the Commissioner and having him appoint the Directors.

dmm1285: I certainly see your point, but I think it would be a bit hard to organise. Under this proposal, the governors will only have to answer to one man - and that would be easier than having them answering to several.
Old November 11, 2002, 08:28   #33
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 10:41
Dmm: you are right but that is for me also part of the plan. to get some more roleplaying in the game...i am not out to win as soon as possible....preferbly i wouldnt win ever....but i think it will increase the activity on the forum...and this would be a DG first time ever...even the governers in de DGc3 are not what we are proposing now
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old November 11, 2002, 10:11   #34
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 12:41
Quote:
Originally posted by Darkness' Edge
Maniac: By not having too many regions. If we have say, five cities a region (this may want to be outlined in the constitution), then we won't need that many more people than we have now, due to the elimination of the two director positions.
That's reasonable. I guess we should just wait and see how many people offer themselves for a government seat before making a final decision. Should the Commissioner / Alpha Talent create a nominations thread already just to see the interest?

Dmm1285: That's just what I would like! Governors almost only concerned with their own region, and directors needing to have the governors follow certain laws to ensure the common good of the entire faction. Such a tension field increases the level of reality of our democracy a little.
Old November 12, 2002, 11:37   #35
AdamTG02
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4WDG Delian LeagueC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

Local Time: 06:41
This proposal won't have my support as written. In effect, it merges T&C, DIE, and DBP into one uber-Directorate. The Governors are not independent; they have to follow the orders of the Director of Regional Affairs whenever he or she gives those orders. This gives that Director the combined power of three of the most important Directorates. In my opinion, this harms the separation of powers.

In my opinion, Governors should give us more separation of powers, not less. Therefore, I propose that they be elected, and given power over all of the proposed areas as Governors, not as subordinates of a Director of Regional Affairs. This still has some problems, but it doesn't create an uber-Directorate, because instead of dividing by area of responsibility we'll divide by physical area.
Old November 12, 2002, 15:38   #36
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Would you still have a Director of Internal Affairs then?
Old November 12, 2002, 15:50   #37
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

I agree wholeheartedly with Adam... we don't want one person being too powerful, and i think the DIA would be. I would say still merge them but elect the Governors and give them powr over their area.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old November 12, 2002, 15:58   #38
Maniac

But without a DIA to pass certain laws and general guidelines to the governors, each region will just care about its own benefit and not that of the entire faction!
Old November 12, 2002, 16:13   #39
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

i was thinking of how 'reall world' politics works in the UK. We have the national ruling body (parliament) and local councils, which do all the day to day work. For example the DIA would say how many Ec each Goveror can use and what the whole country needs building, ie. we need more formers, but it's up to the Governors to decide which fo their bases produce it, and what the exact running order is. When it comes to a severe disagreement its up to the Commisioner or Judges to decide (as is happening here at the moment with The Mayor of London and The Government)

Old November 12, 2002, 16:21   #40
Maniac

That sounds about the same as I was thinking. Perhaps in a conflict between the DIA and a governor the Alpha Talent could intervene though - right now the AT doesn't seem to have a lot of work and judges would take too long.
Old November 12, 2002, 17:19   #41
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

Drogue that is what i saw in the job of the DIA too....if this didnt come over sorry...and i will write a second draft as soon as possible.....maniac the alpha talent could come between instead of the commissioner or judges
Old November 12, 2002, 21:16   #42
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Local Time: 11:41
Drogue and Adam have made good points
Old November 12, 2002, 22:26   #43
Darkness' Edge
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCall to Power II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Prince

In a conflict between the DIA, the Court could *probably* intervene - even if we have to develop some sort of streamlined process specifically for those disputes.

I'm still for the DIA. This makes it a lot simpler, and they're only answering the one person, instead of answering to a whole heap of different directors - which would be an administrative nightmare.

The DIA really doesn't have that much power. All he does his approve the decisions of his governors, and preferably, they'd have to have a good reason for intervening.
Old November 13, 2002, 05:21   #44
Drogue
staff

Nicely put DE. I voted no because it's incomplete because I think who has power and what happens in the case of a dispute needs to be put in the amendment. Also they would have to be elected for me to agree with it in any form.

DBTS: Can we see a new version soon? There seems to be a growing consensus.

Old November 13, 2002, 11:36   #45
DeathByTheSword
King

i will be working on it tomorrow or sunday that is the fasts i can work because of RL but someone else can do the second draft if they want. but please stick to the format I am using....(the constitution is written that way...so it would be easier) about problems solving between DIA and gov. that can be put in article II or V
Old November 16, 2002, 09:47   #46
Maniac

What's the current state of this discussion? Let's resolve it before the next elections.
Old November 16, 2002, 10:03   #47
Drogue
staff

To be honest, with the constitution needing to be amended, the current Directors to come up with areas of control for Goverors, and for people to register their interest seems a little too much to do before the next elections. Especially now Joeno's put up the nomination thread (nicely on time).

Old November 16, 2002, 10:10   #48
Maniac

Splitting the territory up in regions costs five minutes for the Alpha Talent. The job of the governor is already quite fixed: the concrete order making of the DTC, DBP and DIE jobs while the DIA does the general polls. And a governor nomination thread can be put up right now along with the director nominations thread. We still have half a month before the governors need to come into action!
Old November 16, 2002, 10:15   #49
Drogue
staff

Yes, but I think there's already a thread up for each of the DTC, DBP and DIE. Would it be feasable to do mid-term elections (like US House and Senate) for Governors, so not so many elections at once?

Old November 16, 2002, 10:33   #50
Joeno
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:41
However, there has been a clear no-vote (4 Yes vs. 8 No), which means that the amendement needs to be rewritten, needs to be put through another poll, etc. I'm afraid we'd lose too much time for nominations and elections if we have to wait for this. If it is needed, I'd personally prefer to start those nominations and elections later, and perhaps have them come into action later.
Old November 17, 2002, 02:25   #51
Darkness' Edge
Prince

As I said in the other thread - it would be a bad idea to rush this. We're nearly there, but it needs at least one more rewrite, and it's too late in the term to get this done properly in time for the elections. Let's get it going for the January term.
Old November 17, 2002, 08:47   #52
DeathByTheSword
King

hi i am back! had a great blast but now i am back! ok i will start a new poll as quickly as possible! but i am a but bussy too! so bare with me a bit! and for the rest.....did i miss anything good?