Old November 8, 2002, 23:33   #1
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Local Time: 11:42
Local Date: November 1, 2010
CrIme and punishment
Not only has our court and trial system been found wanting in certain respects but so is our penal system.
What are the possible punishments to suit the crime, from casting into the recycling tanks to nerve stapling to a life sentence cleaning the rec. comms.
Suggestions welcome for both the crime and punishment and then all of us and Mr President can pass sentence on Lemmy.

For bad jokes it could be 1 week writing backwards in all posts to every utterance having the letters l.e.m.m.y included,well maybe not
Old November 9, 2002, 00:03   #2
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 21:42
How exactly has our court and trial system been found wanting?
Old November 9, 2002, 05:06   #3
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 12:42
Quote:
How exactly has our court and trial system been found wanting?
I only got convicted for 2 charges

Minimum punishment for all crimes, 1 day in prison!
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Old November 9, 2002, 07:10   #4
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
I only got convicted for 2 charges
How's that a failure of the judicial system? You were innocent of the other ones, after all.
Old November 9, 2002, 07:24   #5
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

I say that the punishment for Use of Bad Humour should conscription into the role of Cabinet Jester, who is obliged to make at least 1 joke every 15 minutes. Failure to do so, or further bad humour, should be punished through pelting with rotten vegetables.
Old November 9, 2002, 08:33   #6
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Re Trial: It was unclear who was the defence lawyer. Though the discussion to and fro between the legal teams and the public gallery was illuminating, few witnesses were called nor was their testimony subject to traditional courtroom cross-examination.

I would have expected the judge to intervene more and accuse many in the public gallery of contempt of court.

Also as has been noticed the conviction rate v the charges was low.

Further not enough people used latin quotations. Any decent court room would be littered with fine latin quotes. I think we had 2. Call this a court.

Finally there was inadequate amounts of alcohol available while the court was adjourned.

I am sure Mein General when your case comes to court (I haven't forgotten your murky post record) that you want the best legal brains (those uneaten) to conduct your defence.
Old November 9, 2002, 08:34   #7
Hercules
Deity

I suggest a punishment should be the use of a different latin phrase in his next 20 posts and excluding base names.
Old November 9, 2002, 09:27   #8
Lemmy
King

Quote:
I say that the punishment for Use of Bad Humour should conscription into the role of Cabinet Jester, who is obliged to make at least 1 joke every 15 minutes. Failure to do so, or further bad humour, should be punished through pelting with rotten vegetables.
But if one is found guilty of using bad humor, then it is already established that one can't use humor, therefore this punishment will automatically result into pelting with rotten vegetables.
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Old November 9, 2002, 10:34   #9
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 13:42
I'm fine with pelting with rotten vegetables...

Actually, I'm fine with everything except putting him into prison, jail or any variation of those two. We are more imaginitive then that, right?

Last edited by Kassiopeia; November 9, 2002 at 16:21.
Old November 9, 2002, 10:54   #10
Lemmy
King

[edit]bah, editing posts should be forbidden [/edit]

Last edited by Lemmy; November 9, 2002 at 16:33.
Old November 9, 2002, 16:22   #11
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Old November 9, 2002, 17:13   #12
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Quote:
But if one is found guilty of using bad humor, then it is already established that one can't use humor, therefore this punishment will automatically result into pelting with rotten vegetables.
Consider it job retraining, so that when your sentence is over you can make some decent jokes.

Quote:
I am sure Mein General when your case comes to court (I haven't forgotten your murky post record) that you want the best legal brains (those uneaten) to conduct your defence.
What murky post record?
Old November 10, 2002, 02:50   #13
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 20:42
Sorry for not intervening in the trial too much, but I didn't have much time around that period. I'll try and do better next time.

Would you like me to pass sentence soon? Perhaps once we get the penalties sorted out.
Old November 10, 2002, 07:47   #14
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 00:42
I think all citizens should have a three-day "visit" to the punishment sphere's if they are found guilty of violating Peacekeeper laws.
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old November 10, 2002, 09:26   #15
Hercules
Deity

Yes Mr President but give it one more day for punishment suggestions
Old November 11, 2002, 02:11   #16
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

For the Little Theft Mikrocredits, I suggest (as Maniac is currently doing) that Lemmy be required to pay the Rec Commons bills for every citizen of the UNP.
Old November 11, 2002, 09:17   #17
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Yay!
Old November 11, 2002, 11:42   #18
Lemmy
King

And if i refuse to pay, or don't have the credits to pay?
Old November 11, 2002, 12:52   #19
Hercules
Deity

You will be declared bankrupt and barred from holding directorships.

Last edited by Hercules; November 11, 2002 at 13:00.
Old November 11, 2002, 13:06   #20
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Ooh, that's harsh. Can we prevent someone from doing their job since they have no money? The right to work is one of the human rights and we as Peacekeepers should respect those rights.

And working would be the best way to fix the costs. You could sentence his salary to be transferred to the Rec Commons' accounts, I'm sure Maniac can arrange it.

I did, after all, say that thing in Lemmy's signature...
Old November 11, 2002, 15:06   #21
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

So when will the verdict come? I have a growing gap in the Rec Commons income/expenses balance.
Old November 12, 2002, 03:16   #22
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

We might require Lemmy to work overtime and transfer the payments to his debt...
Old November 12, 2002, 04:16   #23
Lemmy
King

i get payed for this job!?
Old November 12, 2002, 04:40   #24
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Well, I certainly am. Where do you think all those 'campaign contributions' to senior government officials came from?
Old November 12, 2002, 05:47   #25
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 20:42
Should I pass sentence? Just say when you're ready to hear it, I think I've got it figured out.
Old November 12, 2002, 05:56   #26
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Might as well - this thread seems to be little more than anyway.
Old November 12, 2002, 06:40   #27
Hercules
Deity

Mr President go ahead. This thread has given you a range of possibilities. even if it was polled it would still be up to you to determine the sentence.

There should be a sentence for each guilty charge. There seems to be feeling that Lemmy shouldn't be sent to jail / prison but hung drawn and quartered seems OK
Old November 12, 2002, 06:51   #28
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Yeah.

One last time - Mr. President, don't jail him. Please. It would be exactly what he wants you to do.
Old November 12, 2002, 10:32   #29
Lemmy
King

Don't jail me....remember this case could be used as an example in other cases, you really want to set a precedent now?
Not jailing me would be like saying that a Director is more important and treated less harsh then any other citizen.
Also you can't take anything i said seriously, since i'm after all a convict.
By not putting me in jail, you're also setting another precedent, that to avoid jail, all you have to do is make others believe you want to go to jail.
Old November 12, 2002, 12:21   #30
Kassiopeia
Emperor

By not putting him in jail, but instead making him to work in the benefit of the faction, what's wrong there?
Besides, Mr. President won't judge all cases. If that's not enough deterrent, then what is?
Additionally, we are the Peacekeepers! We should have no crime among us in the first place. Crime is the symptom of a sickness in this case, not something that should be a cause to throw people to rot in jail.

My last reasoning is - we haven't had the time to build a jail yet!