Old November 9, 2002, 20:01   #1
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 02:44
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Advice on doing a Dual Install of PTW and Civ3 1.21
Some people who are playing the Civ3 Democracy Game (like me) that also want to run Play the World are in a bind.

I now have PTW, but have not installed it yet as it will install over my Civ3 vs. 1.21 that we use in the Democracy Game.

I need to know a safe way to be able to play PTW *and* still be able to run Civ3 vs 1.21 so that I can participate in the Democracy Game.

Unfortunately, the AI programing is different in vs 1.21 and the most recent patch/PTW. Running the Demo Game's save file on my machine with PTW installed will give me different results.

Please help.

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old November 9, 2002, 20:19   #2
Cagliostro
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:44
Did anyone taking part in the democracy game report any problems?
I just ask because I thought since PTW installs into a sub-folder of civ3 and uses a different exe (and 1.04 being a patch for PTW and not civ3, afaik), it will not affect your previous "vanilla" civ3 version...
Old November 9, 2002, 22:43   #3
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 02:44
Thanks Cagliostro,

I hope you're right. I can't dual-install right now, as the CivIII CD does not give me the option. If I want to reinstall it forces me to erase the previous version of CivIII.

I'll try a simple PTW install and take my chances, then report back here with the results.

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old November 9, 2002, 23:01   #4
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 11:44
If you want a dual installation, install Civ3, rename folder to "oldCiv3" run setup again, install again, patch whatever etc, and rename whichever folder your playing/patching with at the time.
Old November 10, 2002, 00:31   #5
Switch
Prince

Local Time: 05:44
Just so you know, you will have to dual-install to be able to play PtW with Civ3 1.21. With PtW, vanilla Civ3 is patched up to 1.29f. Check the date of the exe, and I believe it should read June sometime.
Old November 10, 2002, 06:36   #6
Cagliostro
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:44
Ack! Sorry - I didn't stop back here and read your comment about trying it, Togas - it was just a guess - that's why I asked if anyone else mentioned problems - sorry again for causing any inconvenience